News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I watched Die Hard for the first time yesterday (in my defense, late is better than never) after a certain animated scifi comedy series referenced it heavily.  Walkie Talkie Die Hard, indeed.

I've gotta say, it mostly held up well.  Man, they had some big hairdos in the 80s!  Also, workplace sexual harassment.  And casual cocaine use at work.  And "futuristic" touchscreens that seem antiquated now.

Also, some things didn't quite make sense, like dangling from a rope attached to the rifle (I'm pretty sure either the rope or gun would snap) and the classic jumping away from a nearby explosion.  But some stuff was spot on, like smacking into a glass window and the pane mostly stays intact, so he has to shoot it to break it, then break through with his body.  Also, bleeding a lot and then feeling like crap is unexpectedly accurate, especially for an action movie.

The movie had a surprisingly slow start with no foreshadowing, which I thought was odd.  I doubt it would've kept my attention if I didn't already know that there'd be action.

Alan Rickman and the rest of the villains were great, especially their introduction.  Casually sauntering into the building and cutting the lines.  Very nice.  I particularly liked the bazooka scene.  Though it's surprising that neither that explosion nor the rooftop explosion were enough to cause enough structural damage to the skyscraper.  The must've overengineered the hell out of it.

That said, this movie is phenomenal.  I see now its influences everywhere, from the unlikely action hero trope to killing the henchmen one by one trope, the ubiquitous villainous monologues, even the explosion reversal trope like at the end of that Pickle Rick episode.

I especially noticed that Die Hard seems to be at about the point where more modern slang that I know really started taking root.  Though I found it disappointing that the famous catchphrase, "Yippie Ki Yay, muthafathasa" was basically whispered at a quiet moment rather than shouted during a roaring gunfight.

All in all, solid movie, would watch again.  Is it the best action movie, ever?  Imho Terminator 2 still holds that spot, though Fury Road came close to dethroning it.  YMMV, of course.

Is it a Christmas movie?  Absolutely!  Kinda.  Maybe?

P.S. - I hate that guy who told him to take his shoes off.  Also, giving advice to a nervous passenger on how to "survive a flight" at the END OF THE FLIGHT was bafflingly stupid and I'm not yet convinced that whole scene wasn't a fever dream or somehow spliced in by Quentin Tarantino.

Cassia

My favorite nemesis type characters are played by Alan Rickman and Christipher Walken.

Who is your fav "bad guy/girl" actor?

GSOgymrat

Actors who took the villain to the next level.

Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes

Margaret Hamilton at the Wicked Witch of the West

Tim Curry as Dr Frank-N-Furter

Glenn Close as Alex Forrest

Cassia

@GSOgymrat, oh yeah...some really juicy ones there. I think Glenn Close was responsible for ruining a whole lot of potential extramarital affairs!

Mike Cl

One of my favorite old villain's was Jack Palance--and Vincent Price.  Christopher Walken seems to always play oddball characters and when it is a villain he is exceptional.  Kathy Bates can play any kind of character and is a very good villain. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 20, 2022, 01:41:19 PMActors who took the villain to the next level.
Glenn Close as Alex Forrest

Lakewood Mall Multiplex, Lakewood, CA. ('burb in LA somewhere.)

Two movies playing. Ask my girl which she wanted to see, "A" or "B"? ("Fatal Attraction" or "Fatal Beauty"?) She called "A", and got freaked out at the bunny scene. I would have chosen Whoopi.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on September 20, 2022, 11:14:31 AMWho is your fav "bad guy/girl" actor?
Tim Curry.  Hands down.

Anthony Hopkins in...literally everything is also a fantastic villain.

Wayne Pygram as Scorpius in Farscape, Walter Koenig as Bester in Babylon 5 (Bester is the male equivalent of Dolores Umbridge IMHO), Ian McKellen as Magneto, etc.

Apparently old, insane/fanatical white guys is a big trigger for me LMAO

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 20, 2022, 06:45:34 PMTim Curry.  Hands down.

Anthony Hopkins in...literally everything is also a fantastic villain.

Wayne Pygram as Scorpius in Farscape, Walter Koenig as Bester in Babylon 5 (Bester is the male equivalent of Dolores Umbridge IMHO), Ian McKellen as Magneto, etc.

Apparently old, insane/fanatical white guys is a big trigger for me LMAO
Curry has that incredible Cheshire cat-like grin!

Hydra009

He lures you in with it, then he breaks out the slasher smile!  Chilling.  His villains are usually master manipulators, too.  I might be the last person on Earth who remembers Earth 2, but every time he said "poppet" to that little girl was creepy as hell.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Luther Martini

My favorite villain of the past couple of decades was the psycho assassin Anton Chigurh, portrayed by Javier Bardem in the Coen Brothers' film "No Country For Old Men" 

Cassia

Quote from: Luther Martini on September 21, 2022, 09:54:18 AMMy favorite villain of the past couple of decades was the psycho assassin Anton Chigurh, portrayed by Javier Bardem in the Coen Brothers' film "No Country For Old Men"
Oh yeah, that dude was something else.

Shiranu

QuoteWho is your fav "bad guy/girl" actor?

No one mentioning Christoph Waltz is bothering me, or Jeremy Irons as Scar. Or James Earl Jones as Vader.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

So, I'm watching Die Hard 2 because I'm hooked at this point and I'm not even done with it yet and I have questions.

Do people really beg cops not to tow them like this?  "Pretty please let me off with a warning, my aunt'll pissed, I'm a cop (the rules don't apply to cops, I guess?), and it'll be Christmas soon!"  Has that ever worked for anyone?

WTF is wrong with that old lady spontaneously bragging about her taser, brandishing it, and then divulging about testing it out on her dog?  That's animal cruelty and besides that, creepy AF.  Mrs McClaine oughta call the cops on her!

Beeper + telephone lines LOL.  Man, I do NOT miss that!

Who TF builds baggage conveyor belts in such a way that they will literally kill someone if they lay on top of the belt?  OSHA would have a field day.

Also, what's with that cop not shutting down the airport when a dude got friggin' brutally killed there?  Nowadays, some guy brings nail clippers through customs and they send in a bomb squad (a slight exaggeration for comedic purposes)

I don't understand this movie's internal logic!

Edit - the bad guy points a gun at his subordinate, who just stands there as he pulls the trigger (why?) and expects the guy to keep working for him.  If I was a henchman and I even heard of my boss doing that, I'd be out.  Who in the right mind would work for someone who'd try to kill them?