News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Just finished watching the new Dune. Thoroughly enjoyed it and think it was pretty faithful to the book with a few notable exceptions. It's probably been more 30 years since the last time I read the book though so it might not be a close to the original story as I remember.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

The Protege  9/10
As the name and the face on the movie icon suggests it's another young woman taken under the wing of a mentor and turned into another sexy kick-ass assassin.  Not like this hasn't been done before, but just as I thought Hollywood had run through all the best female stars to put in the same role over and over again, this shows up staring a woman, Maggie Q, who I never heard of.  But she has very strong support from Samuel Jackson, and especially so from Michael Keaton, and while the premise is familiar, apparently it has not yet been worked to death.  Yeah its brutal, but in ways that made me laugh out loud more times than once.  So I have to give a whole bunch of credit to the writers and the director.  I thought it was fun.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I suppose that was the wormsign.

It was definitely a slow-burner for most of it, but at the same time it wouldn't have made any sense if it wasn't. To engage in absolutely useless comparisons, it felt like if "Blade Runner" met "Game of Thrones" met "Lord of the Rings" met environmentalism, anti-imperialism and Middle Eastern religion. Absolutely loved the set design and particularly the ship designs, The Voice sounded really creepy and the cutting of the film helped convey the almost blackout nature it caused on people...

It was pretty cool, probably convinced me to finally go finish the book.

Edit: Upon further reflection... yeah, the closest thing I can say about it is that it made me feel the way Bladerunner (original and sequel) made me feel; the plot-twists maybe would have made me feel identical about how GoT's made me feel but because of the shorter time to get invested that didn't happen. Hopefully reading the books gives me that feeling. I get super LotR vibes from the journey after the betrayal.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

I'm watching Good Fellas (for the 8th? times) and thinking how would that movie appeal to them, lol. Not a good picture. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I watched Night of the Living Dead last night, the one from 1968.  I bought it on the recollection that it was so "bad it was good" and I remembered it as a fun scare.  But it's mostly just bad and did not hold my attention well.  What it does have in it's favor is that it seemed to set in motion the last explosion of zombie movies that caught the public's attention, and this led to a greater understanding of the true nature of actual zombies.  Actually, it just added a wealth of new memes about zombie behavior and zombie physiology.  So I guess it's an icon of sorts.  I filed it in my Library, under "Classics" along with more notable films as American Graffiti and earlier.

Mah, ha, ha.  "There coming to get you, Barbara!"

Gawdzilla Sama

It was a low budget homebrew, we weren't going to get a good movie out of that production. Instead we can a mania, a deeply disturbing mania.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

I have Leonardo's Ornithopter model, but I still haven't built it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 01, 2021, 02:01:47 PM
I have Leonardo's Ornithopter model, but I still haven't built it.
I give the 2021 Dune thumbs up based on the hardware alone. We finally have ornithopters!
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

We watched 'gretel and hansel', because the gf wanted to yesterday.
The movie surprisingly came out very strong, only to falter in the last 20 minutes or so.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 01, 2021, 10:21:31 PM
I give the 2021 Dune thumbs up based on the hardware alone. We finally have ornithopters!
Eh, they were visually impressive, but I kept thinking how cool but insane it is to have a transport with dragonfly wings.  I worried about what would happen to one the instant it took any damage whatsoever.  I could've gone for something either more bird-like (going all in on the sleek design) or more boxy like the 2000 miniseries (more practical)

Peak aesthetic:

Peak practicality:

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, but ORNITHOPERS!!! I had to look that word up. The Popular Mechanics article was silly but beautifully illustrated.
PZ Myers