News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 09, 2021, 04:48:11 PMSo, just pretend #3 never happened?
Possibly.  It's likely that this takes place quite a few "years" after Revolutions, with Neo's consciousness housed in Machine City after his "death".  So he's experiencing yet another Matrix, but this one is less of a prison and more like life support.  Trinity may be in there, too.  Everyone else seem to be infiltrators trying to get Neo to remember and resume his fight, which is a rather bold operation to say the least.

It's also possible that this is another iteration of the Matrix, created after the last Matrix collapsed, mainly due to Agent Smith but also partially due to redpills being allowed to leave the Matrix peacefully.

And there's just as much CGI, it's just less conspicuous.  It actually kinda bugs me when people trash CGI, disapproving of conspicuous CGI while tacitly approving of inconspicuous CGI, which is everywhere these days.  The Matrix movies in particular use conspicuous CGI for a very good narrative reason!

And apparently Youtube thought the trailer was related to Inception, probably due to the weightless hallway fight.  Google throwing some shade today.

Hydra009

Another thing about the Matrix, this from the Animatrix short Second Renaissance (I recommend watching it if you don't want to sleep for a few days)

There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where the robots and their "human sympathizers" demand robot rights except they're called "liberal sympathizers" verbally in the broadcast while the text says human sympathizers.  These sympathizers were presumably arrested, possibly killed alongside the protesting robots.

In the I Robot trial, one of the lawyers says "I'm no liberal", dismissing the idea of extending human rights to robots.

Apparently, in this universe, giving rights to robots was a leftist idea, so there was a partisan dimension to humanity's stance towards machines.  Presumably, conservatives were far more belligerent, while liberals favored a more peaceful, perhaps even cooperative, approach.

I bring this up because Morpheus and his band of freedom fighters tend to be highly religious (if the name Zion didn't give it away) and see a stark divide between human and machine.  "Liberals" likely took a different approach and presumably got wiped out, caught in the crossfire between belligerent humans and retaliatory belligerent machines.  Small wonder that it's a sunless dystopia.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2021, 12:52:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

Welcome to the desert of the real.

I don't understand it. In the third movie, the war between humans and machines ended, right? And the humans were set free? Both Neo and Trinity were dead, so...

I've noticed the use of blue pills in this trailer. Maybe this is an alternate timeline, where Neo took the blue pill instead of the red one?

Also, did they replace the actor for Morpheus, or is that a new character? It would be weird if they kept the actors for Neo and Trinity, but recast the other characters.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

I took the blue pill thing as an attempt to wake Neo up to the fact that he's not in a red pill world.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

IIRC, didn't the Matrix hint that Neo "breaking" the cycle was just another part of the cycle?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 10, 2021, 12:39:25 AM
I don't understand it. In the third movie, the war between humans and machines ended, right?
An extremely fragile truce, nothing more.

QuoteAnd the humans were set free?
Only the ones who knew they were in a Matrix and wanted out.  Naturally, there'd be some squabbling about definitions...

QuoteNeo and Trinity were dead, so...
Were they?  Do you shoot lightning out of your hands in the real world?

QuoteI've noticed the use of blue pills in this trailer. Maybe this is an alternate timeline, where Neo took the blue pill instead of the red one?
The creator has stated that this is a sequel, not a reboot.  So an alternate universe seems unlikely.

QuoteAlso, did they replace the actor for Morpheus, or is that a new character? It would be weird if they kept the actors for Neo and Trinity, but recast the other characters.
In the expanded universe, Morpheus dies trying to retrieve Neo's body from the machines.

SGOS

Similar to The Matrix is a movie called the 13th Floor.  It's about the same vintage, as these guys are performing complex programming on computers with big lunky monitors, and typing in commands that resemble BASIC, but the idea is similar to the Matrix, with people living in a Matrix.  It's dispences with the mysticism that Reeves often gravitates towards in his movies, which is something that doesn't turn me on about Reeves.  I actually like the 13th Floor a lot more than the Matrix, although it never developed the cult following.  It is a Hell of a lot of fun, however.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 10, 2021, 09:41:47 AMI actually like the 13th Floor a lot more than the Matrix, although it never developed the cult following.  It is a Hell of a lot of fun, however.
Ditto.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Fahrenheit 9/11 is available for free on YouTube, for a limited time. Michael Moore streamed the movie, along with a Q&A, a couple of interviews, etc. I watched it for the first time last night. When this movie came out, my parents hated Michael Moore, so I hated him by extension. It's amazing how, at the time, nobody wanted to listen to him. Nobody wanted him on their talk shows. Disney, who had the distributing rights, chose to lock it in a vault because they were getting a tax break deal from the Bush mob family at the time, and didn't want to jeopardize that. The fact that the movie got to see the light of day at all despite all that was going against it is amazing. Now, all these years later, we realize he was right about the war. So of course now they want him on their talk shows. Now that the pointless war is over, and Bush's two long terms are long past us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cebnlqi9RGQ

Most of this was news to me. I mean, holy shit. George W. Bush clearly stole the election, and he faced zero consequences for it. His opponent, Al Gore, conceded when it was clear nothing was going to be done about it. What a contrast to Trump, who lost by a landslide, tried to stage a coop to change the results of the election, and never officially conceded.

And that's just the beginning. George Bush is a fucking heartless war criminal. He should be rotting in prison right now. The "War on Terror" was never about finding Bin Laden. It was always about making himself and his buddies rich, invading a country that was of ZERO threat to us, based on a lie he fabricated about nuclear weapons in Iran.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

MALIGNANT, on HBOMAX. 7/10 Nothing amazing but they held the origin issue almost to the end of the opening credits. But seriously, well shot and well scripted. Killed two hours painlessly.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

1979's "Alien"

Second viewing, this one falls in a weird place for me; on one-hand it is an absolutely amazing movie and a classic, with very little to criticize; good story, amazing visuals, good suspense. Would gladly watch it again with no hesitation and it's one of my all-time favorites. That said...

My god, is it fucking slow at times. I know that is pretty common amongst old movies, but that slowness has definitely not aged well; is that a statement about the movie or more a statement about modern society?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 14, 2021, 12:21:38 AM
1979's "Alien"

Second viewing, this one falls in a weird place for me; on one-hand it is an absolutely amazing movie and a classic, with very little to criticize; good story, amazing visuals, good suspense. Would gladly watch it again with no hesitation and it's one of my all-time favorites. That said...

My god, is it fucking slow at times. I know that is pretty common amongst old movies, but that slowness has definitely not aged well; is that a statement about the movie or more a statement about modern society?
It was startlingly fresh for the times. Scott definitely set the bar with that one.

Trivia: Nobody on set knew what was going to happen to John Hurt. When the little guy with the shiny teeth popped out the reactions of the cast are genuine.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on September 14, 2021, 12:21:38 AM
1979's "Alien"

I think the slowness works in alien, building the dread naturally. Kind of like in the shining.

I find it worse in other flicks, especially non horror classics.

You should watch aliens, now theres a long movie btw.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

It's common in older movies to foreshadow or build tension without really much happening for fairly long stretches at a time.  *cough2001ASpaceOdyssey*  Nowadays, movies are shot more like extended trailers.  :/

*yells at neighbor's fool kids to get off his lawn*

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 15, 2021, 12:11:21 AM
It's common in older movies to foreshadow or build tension ...
Or put the audience to sleep.
PZ Myers