News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 24, 2020, 10:52:08 AM
In the original series, I really liked the scene where Wednesday is upset about a story the school made her read: a story of a knight slaying a dragon.  The father and mother consider it an outrage.

Sort of like in the first movie where Morticia is telling school children the story of Hansel and Gretel when they push the witch in the oven, and discribes in graphic detail how the witch burns alive, then asks the children what do you suppose that feels like. Or when in the second movie she's reading the cat in the hat to her golden curls possessed baby, and is disappointed by the fact the cat lives in the end.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on May 24, 2020, 10:55:55 AM
Master and Commander - Really great, I wish it didn't end on a cliff-hanger. Might have to give the novels a go sometime, who knows.

Between my mom living in the Caribbean and about a third of my family is Navy, so it checked a fair few boxes for me. I definitely see why it's popular in my family now, and it's an interesting look at what life would have been like in those times... much the same way that 1917  was a visual way to understand the horrors of that time.
That was an excellent movie.  It's part of my collection.  The opening battle scene on my sound system would justify owning the movie just for that reason alone, but it is a well done film in almost all regards.

Baruch

Master and Commander - Really great, I wish it didn't end on a cliff-hanger. Might have to give the novels a go sometime, who knows.

Between my mom living in the Caribbean and about a third of my family is Navy, so it checked a fair few boxes for me. I definitely see why it's popular in my family now, and it's an interesting look at what life would have been like in those times... much the same way that 1917  was a visual way to understand the horrors of that time.

There was supposed to be a sequel.  The book author wrote multiple books.  But the investors thought it was all wet ;-)  Of course the scientist on board, is to remind you of young Charles Darwin on the Beagle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on May 24, 2020, 11:22:31 AM
That was an excellent movie.  It's part of my collection.  The opening battle scene on my sound system would justify owning the movie just for that reason alone, but it is a well done film in almost all regards.

I honestly might have to rewatch it, just because I watched it at 3 in the morning and couldn't fully enjoy the blasting cannons. Was constantly having to fiddle with the volume to be able to hear the characters without shaking the entire house when combat broke out.

QuoteThere was supposed to be a sequel.  The book author wrote multiple books.  But the investors thought it was all wet ;-)  Of course the scientist on board, is to remind you of young Charles Darwin on the Beagle.

Losing out to Lord of the Rings will do that, unfortunately. One of those, "any other year..." situations.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Battling age of sail ... when the Navy was all fun and games ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"What a wonderful technological age we live in!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Was the ending really such a cliffhanger? They figure out the trick and set sail after their comrades. The upbeat music-pastime at the end always made it feel like more of a 'aha, we' ve figured it out and come full circle' feel then a : 'oh shit, is everything going to be okay?' feel. At least for me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2020, 04:46:55 PM
"What a wonderful technological age we live in!"

Being hit by modern munition while in an airplane, tank or ship ... is wonderful?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 24, 2020, 10:46:54 PM
Being hit by modern munition while in an airplane, tank or ship ... is wonderful?

No, but they invented the fleshlite, so people don't have to use cow bladders anymore, so it's all ups and downs
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 24, 2020, 07:31:16 PM
Was the ending really such a cliffhanger? They figure out the trick and set sail after their comrades. The upbeat music-pastime at the end always made it feel like more of a 'aha, we' ve figured it out and come full circle' feel then a : 'oh shit, is everything going to be okay?' feel. At least for me.

I guess it depends on how many of the French crew remained alive & onboard the Acheron and how many Englishmen were manning it back to port. I would assume it would have been a pretty minimal crew, which means the captain (disguised as a doctor) wouldn't have an impossible time of freeing his crew and resizing the ship.

Likewise I figure the marines would have stayed onboard the Surprise, meaning the skeleton crew would have mostly been sailors rather than soldiers and less trained for fending off an ambush revolt.

Either way, I am happy the Captain survived because I felt kinda bad for Aubrey that he didn't get to meet the opponent who outsmarted him several times.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Does that happen in the next book in the series?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2020, 06:11:49 AM

Don't know... apparently the plot is based mostly on book 1 and book 10, so I don't know if book 2 or 11 might have the answer to that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 25, 2020, 05:51:22 AM
I guess it depends on how many of the French crew remained alive & onboard the Acheron and how many Englishmen were manning it back to port. I would assume it would have been a pretty minimal crew, which means the captain (disguised as a doctor) wouldn't have an impossible time of freeing his crew and resizing the ship.

Likewise I figure the marines would have stayed onboard the Surprise, meaning the skeleton crew would have mostly been sailors rather than soldiers and less trained for fending off an ambush revolt.

Either way, I am happy the Captain survived because I felt kinda bad for Aubrey that he didn't get to meet the opponent who outsmarted him several times.

Likes ... originally they were to be fighting Americans in an American ship, not French in an American ship.  But that is bad for ticket sails.  Remember, the Americans are the bad guys ;-) ... also there is the "prize" ... the captain and crew get to split the selling price of the captured ship once it is back in England!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2020, 06:11:49 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubreyâ€"Maturin_series

The screenplay was a pastiche.  So the "next happening" depends more on the screen writers.  They say ... the original author tells a good yarn and can sea shanty with the best of them ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2020, 12:10:19 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubreyâ€"Maturin_series

The screenplay was a pastiche.  So the "next happening" depends more on the screen writers.  They say ... the original author tells a good yarn and can sea shanty with the best of them ;-)
I sorta remember asking about the books, not the movie. Of course you were there so I could be wrong.
PZ Myers