News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

saw 3 movies recently, all from the DC animated genre. Justice League Dark,  john constantine City of Demons, and Justice League Dark apokolips war.

Justice League dark - 7/10
Pretty good, as all these movies are from the perspective of john constantine for a lot of them, it opens up the chance to be a lot more graphic. Characters are well established, it does seem to be a case that you might need to have seen some of the other DC animated movies to get a fuller scope of whats going on with some, but thats why having the story from constantines perspective makes it more easier to get into. Animation in action scenes are good, voice acting is really good, and the twists just don't hold back in what their prepared to do. It feels like given this setting is set in the New52 series, and it was drawing to a close (getting to that) that they could get away with doing a whole lot more insane shit with characters, and why they just didn't care about keeping it clean, and why constantine was perfect to be used more at this time. Overall pretty good, though will need to see other DC animated films to get a full scope.

John constantine: City of Demons - 9/10

This is really good, a more stand alone for the character, and they just went all out with it. When you think about the kind of reserved stuff in other DC animated movies like sometimes your occasionally see blood when a characters punched or an off screen stab with a sword, there this just goes full on blood, guts, dismemberment. Story felt very grounded, constantine friendship with his long time friend Chas, the fact everyone who comes across constantine knows him or heard of him gives more broader implications. The animation and voice acting is again really good. Also just like how the graphic moments are more used, so to are mature themes like the consequences for constantines choices, and how the kind of story setting he's in isn't like your typical super hero saves the day theme. Worth seeing if your just curious about the character of constantine.

Justice League Dark: apokolips war - 6/10

Probably my least favorite of the three. It was still a good movie, the same level of voice acting, animation and story structure was all good, but it was more just the choices made for the story that made it kind of questionable. Spoilers for this one: [spoiler]I didn't realize that this was the final movie in the DC animated run based on the New52 series, because like the previous movies mentioned, it was obvious they were leading up to this film, and so let the writers and animators get away with so much more, as in bloody mutilations of beloved comic book characters, and if not being torn apart, they'd be resurrected as deformed cybernetic monstrous or brainwashed into going against their nature. This really felt like a movie designed about just letting the writers do whatever they wanted without restrictions, and I'm fine with that, but I think it just felt like they tried to cram in far to much in a short movie, think like avengers infinity war and end game but crammed into an hour and 30 minutes. And how they wrapped it up at the end makes it obvious why they just did whatever they wanted and killed off so many characters.
The animation, voice acting and overall premise was okay, just felt like it could have used 2 movies or even like an extra 20 minutes to flesh it out more. But yeah an okay send off to this era of dc animated movies. [/spoiler]

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 01, 2020, 09:37:05 AM
Wow, that's the dying store trifecta.  Don't see a lot of bowling alleys anymore.  And arcades are like unicorns around here.  I'd cherish a place like that.
Back in high school (late 1950s), taking your date bowling was common, and no one ever asked, "Isn't that kind of weird?"  Miniature golf was also a common Friday night date topped off with a stop at the ice cream parlor.  I'm not kidding either.  Movies like Back to the Future actually capture the nostalgia of the 1950s, and it comes across humorous, even to me, but it also touches on some fond memories.

My sister took me to an arcade in Chicago a few years ago.  It was strictly early arcade format.  The owner filled it with nothing but those old 1960s/70s games like Donkey Kong, driving games, shooting down WWII bombers, and what all I can't remember.  They were all second hand games bought where I don't know.  There must have been a hundred games in the place.  For some reason, I missed most of those post pinball electronics, so I was unfamiliar with most of what was there. 

Gawdzilla Sama

And roller skating. I think I was in the last roller rink in Indiana back in the '70s. Lady I was with got concussed when there was a pile up.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Yeah, I forgot about roller skating. I considered that as a special occasion, and it too was popular.  In boy scouts, my scout leader was one of those 1 in 1000 skaters.  As a result, we did more skating than camping.  We would invite the local girl scout troupe, so it was kind of like a mass blind date, and everybody skated with everybody.  During the waltz couples only, the one where maybe 4 couples would have the floor to themselves, our leader would grab some woman his age and gracefully show off.  And somehow he knew which woman to ask, because she would be as good as he was.  I suspect they actually knew each other.  I used to watch them and somehow understand that I could never skate that well.  That was in Chicago.

Gawdzilla Sama

All it would take would be to casually visit the rink and watch for a while. Then invite the selected ladies to the Boy Scout thing later in the week. I knew women had few choices when it came to "roller dance" partners back then. One shanghai'd me out of desperation, I think. I sucked at skating.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 08, 2020, 06:28:24 AM
All it would take would be to casually visit the rink and watch for a while. Then invite the selected ladies to the Boy Scout thing later in the week.
I suspect that was something like what my scout leader did.  Actually, I think he may have spent so much time at the rink that he knew who the best skaters were.  I can't imagine anyone consenting to waltz with a stranger, unless they knew that both of them would not end up on the floor.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 08, 2020, 06:46:43 AM
I suspect that was something like what my scout leader did.  Actually, I think he may have spent so much time at the rink that he knew who the best skaters were.  I can't imagine anyone consenting to waltz with a stranger, unless they knew that both of them would not end up on the floor.
Given the quality of skaters at the rink in Alexandria, Indiana, pop. ~7,000, I think anyone would be thrilled to find a partner of whatever skill level.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Just watched the documentary RBG on Hulu.  Highly recommended.  That woman is an absolute national treasure.

Now I'm bingeing on How It's Made as my audio wallpaper while I work from home.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 08, 2020, 03:50:46 AM
And roller skating. I think I was in the last roller rink in Indiana back in the '70s. Lady I was with got concussed when there was a pile up.

Roller Derby?  That women's Roller Derby was murder ;-).  My daughter was still roller-blading in the Oughts.  But I never mastered any of it, though I remember the roller skates you attached to your shoes.  I brained myself the last time I went ice skating, when I was 18.  Never again!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 08, 2020, 09:02:53 AM
Roller Derby?  That women's Roller Derby was murder ;-).
Nah, one kid knocked her down and another one couldn't avoid the wreckage.
QuoteMy daughter was still roller-blading in the Oughts.  But I never mastered any of it, though I remember the roller skates you attached to your shoes.  I brained myself the last time I went ice skating, when I was 18.  Never again!
My brother broke an elbow when he fell trying to master those bolt-on menaces.
PZ Myers

LoriPinkAngel

I watched Dallas Buyers Club the other night.  That was a great movie.  The awards were well deserved.

Sal1981

Onward - 8/10

A slightly different coming of age story, pretty good.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 12, 2020, 01:08:27 PM
Onward - 8/10

A slightly different coming of age story, pretty good.

I hate pixies ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.