News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Frozen 2 was very good.

Olaf was straight savage, which was a bit bizarre, but he's always been a bit odd.

I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that just like the first movie, a rare few characters are straight outta Game of Thrones, which is kinda weird in such a high fantasy family-friendly setting.

This movie is filled with meme-able material, especially crossover memes with Avatar the Last Airbender, Game of Thrones, and even Infinity War.  Looking forward for those spicy memes!

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 22, 2019, 09:23:00 PM
Frozen 2 was very good.
That's next on my list.  I thought Frozen 1 was good.  Does the sequel do it justice?

Blackleaf

Reviews I've seen haven't been as kind to the sequel, so I don't know what to think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkFQSCOjLM
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Guys, don't pick on children's movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 23, 2019, 09:56:44 AM
That's next on my list.  I thought Frozen 1 was good.  Does the sequel do it justice?
I saw both of them on the same day.  I liked the second one more.

Maybe the songs were better in the first one, but the overall story was much better in the second one.

Gawdzilla Sama

Why does everything Disney make have to be a musical?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 08:15:57 PM
The Book of Eli -  8/10
I'm not sure I'd rate a movie about a guy memorizing the Bible that high.
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 23, 2019, 09:26:53 PM
I'm not sure I'd rate a movie about a guy memorizing the Bible that high.
I looked at it like any other post-apocalyptic movie. It could have been The Hobbit he memorized for all I care.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 09:33:09 PM
I looked at it like any other post-apocalyptic movie. It could have been The Hobbit he memorized for all I care.
It was a clever script and well executed I thought, even with the Biblical angle.

Blackleaf

I liked Book of Eli, but that Bible stuff was sooooo fucking stupid. The main villain wants the Bible so he can use it to control people. Apparently it never crossed his mind that he could just start his own religion? What makes the Bible so special, especially to a villain who apparently never even read it, in a world where nearly no one has read it?

And we're supposed to believe that the protagonist memorized every word from the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation? Not only that, but he still believes in it after that?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

About to light up and watch Minority Report for the first time. Heard it's pretty good.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 09:33:09 PM
You don't have hundreds of lunatic relatives going "SEE!!!!"
PZ Myers

SGOS

I kept thinking that the devout would believe this movie to be inspired by God.  And I made the same notations as Blackleaf, and Gawdzilla, but I still thought it was scripted well enough to overcome the religious message enough that I actually puzzled about whether it was religious at all.  Hiding the content of the book for so long throughout the movie was done very well.  I didn't see that coming at all.  Additionally, the message that some asshole guy wanted the Bible so he could control people seems like a good message to include in the film.  Sure the good guys got the Bible in the end, but that changes the balance of power.  Now the little people can become the assholes and rise up and smite the wicked (Praise Allah), and of course, control the masses in the bargain.  Doesn't sound that far fetched when I look at it that way.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 24, 2019, 12:59:14 AM
About to light up and watch Minority Report for the first time. Heard it's pretty good.
The concept is great, the execution... it's pretty much the Signs of its time.