News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

'The Book Thief'
Man this is the best picture of the year maybe the decade. As usual Jeffery Rush is superb.
10 out of 10. I'd pay the $14 to see it in a cinema. I saw it at my neighbor's media room. He has a 100 inch screen and there are no annoying babies crying to spoil the movie.

Notthesun

Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

SGOS

Blue Jasmine 8/10

This is a character study of a divorced woman with psychological problems.  I tend to like character studies.  They depend on good writing while keeping an eye on human psychology.  I also appreciate a production that can keep my interest without having to blow up a truck every 5 minutes.

I'm ordinarily not a big fan of Cate Blanchett.  To me she's just an actress that appears in movies from time to time, but she certainly got my attention in this film.  From now on, whatever role she might play, interesting or not, I'll at least know that this woman can act.

SGOS

Jack Ryan 7/10

The movie is not as complex or exciting as the other films based on this Tom Clancy character.  It's kind of a reboot, because it goes way back to the beginning of Ryan's career.  There are no plot twists.  Ryan is recruited by the CIA, is assigned a job, and he accomplishes his assignment.  It's more interesting than watching a normal guy do his job for a year, and although Ryan's job is filled with danger, it's just a movie about watching a guy do a job.  But if you are a fan of the franchise, it's something you probably should see.

Hydra009

[youtube:1z645b2v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU[/youtube:1z645b2v]

Hark!  Prepare thy kinsfolk for merriment moste plenteous!

(Alt title: Taketh mine argent!)

SGOS

All is Lost 7/10

It's a fairly accurate description of going through the correct survival tactics at sea.  I thought that part was well done.  I don't think the movie has wide appeal.  I thought of it more as a visual instruction manual.  Lost cargo containers have a reputation as serious hazards to navigation.  So do unmarked fishing nets.  

I liked the part where after his electronics failed, he got out a book on celestial navigation.  I thought it remarkable that he actually learned how to do it so fast, however.  I've watched instruction videos, and it seems like no simple thing.  I never learned it either, even though I had books and a sextant on board (I've yet to meet a modern day sailor that can do it).  However, I was armed to the teeth with backup self powered GPS units.  Anyway, I related to taking off across the ocean without knowing celestial navigation.  LOL

Things that bothered me:  

I don't know why he waited so long to try and set the storm jib when he knew what was coming.  But I know it happens.

Setting down an open knife in a rubber life raft bothers me.  He did it twice without incident, but each time I wanted to yell out, "Close the God damned knife!"

But making mistakes is an accurate portrayal of what happens.

the_antithesis

My brother has recently been on a killer whale kick. Don't know why, but I wound up watching the documentaries Black Fish and The Whale as a result.

Black Fish is about Tilikum, the bull orca at Sea World that has already killed three people, one of them a trainer during a show. It didn't seem to have a very good or focused message, except that being an orca in captivity sucks balls. Well, duh. It didn't offer especially good solutions to the problem. It also seemed a bit unfocused, including elements of other whale attacks and spending a little time with wild orcas and how friendly they are.

The Whale is about a young bull orca called Luna that had gotten separated from its pod and lived in Nootka Sound, off the west coast of Vancouver Island. During this time he kept trying to interact with human beings, but the Canadian government decided to be dicks and make it a fine to even look at him, which led to him trying hard and harder to get attention until he tangled with a boat propeller and died, which is the main reason why the government imposed the fine in the first place. It's a sad story and bit too hippy dippy for my tastes.

We also watched Room 237, a documentary about the possible meanings of Stanley Kubrick's film version of The Shining. I was actually looking forward to it since after watching the internet video at kubrick2001.com gave me better insight and appreciation of 2001: a Space Odyssey, it would be nice to gain better understanding of the Shining. But it was not to be. The first thing they show you, the very first insight they attempt to impart is some dumb shit talking about how the movie is about the subjugation of the Native Americans by white people. This isn't even the stupidest, craziest theory put forth. One guy is convinced it's Kubrick telling us how he faked the moon landing footage for NASA.

I do not buy this for a second. Kubrick is a guy who was a great artist, even if I don't tend to find his movies very fun to watch. He did make his films about more than what they appear to be, but it was usually related in some way. These fucked up theories have nothing to do with the movie at all. Worse, this shit is padded. Using the weird scene where there's a guy with his head split open, one commentator goes off about some story her son had made up about a guy with his head split open. This is completely unrelated to the movie or anything relevant but we get to hear about it anyway. This is a bad movie with nothing of substance to offer. Avoid it.

The final film I've seen is Salinger, a biopic about J.D. Salinger. It was an interesting look at a life, but ended with a tease of the books that will be published now that he's dead starting in 2015. They don't sound like they'll be all that worthwhile. Do we really need a complete history of the Glass family or Holden Caufield's family? Fuck, no. Two other book the film mentions are lifted directly from his life, such as his intelligence work during WWII. I just watched the movie. I don't think I'll need any more of that.

So, that's a lot of documentaries. Wonder why I keep watching them.

Notthesun

Robocop - It was fun to watch. All in all it was alright.

Grade: C+

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Hydra009

Finally saw Zoolander.  I feel dumber now.  Granted, I know it's supposed to be a dumb movie, but it had the misfortune of being dumb and unfunny.  Being funny is sort of an important thing for a comedy.  There's the ant thing and "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" and that's about it.  Here are the other "jokes" you guys are missing out on:  mispronouncing words, being unable to pee, giving yourself a wedgie, Earth to ___, computer illiteracy, repeating jokes that were barely passable the first time around, etc.  If you can be entertained by funny faces and jingling car keys, then this is the show for you.  Otherwise, don't bother.

aitm

enders game...I liked it. Nothing spectacular, and somewhat predictable , in fact I mentioned to the wife way  before the final act 'acted'....but it was okay for a movie...again. Just holds the attention long enough for you to forget you haven't been laid in a month...er....skip that part.   6outa 10
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aosfilms

Hi everyone!
My name is Matt Pierce and I am from Winnipeg, MB, Canada. In today's society everything seems to be shared and spread on the Internet and through all kinds of media. Through my love of filming I had decided to create a documentary called, "Anchor". Anchor is a film about both Christian and Atheist perspectives on some of life's biggest questions such as "Who are we as humans?", "Why are we here?", "What happens when we die?", "How should we live?", and "From where do we get meaning and purpose in life?" The film will also explore what both Christianity and Atheism truly believe and whether they can provide sound reasoning for their assertions. I don't believe that Christianity and Atheism have been represented fairly in a film where recognized experts from both sides have been interviewed. By interviewing prominent speakers from each worldview, this film hopes to correct the common misrepresentations of each side.

Every single person has a worldview and how they form that worldview determines how they live their lives and how they answer each of these questions. It's the biggest part of our lives! It's only when these questions are all looked at together and really scrutinized that someone can tell if they have a coherent worldview or not. A person's worldview should be based on the truth, not on emotions, skepticism, or wishful thinking. Finding truth is extremely important and vital to living life. This documentary will be a hunt for that truth to see if it lies in either of these dominant worldviews.

I am about halfway finished as I have interviewed eleven people so far including Daniel Dennett and Paul Tripp. I am currently running an indiegogo campaign to raise the funds to finish it off. I would be truly honored and grateful if you were able to let me know what you think and to even share it with friends if you like the idea!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to hearing back from you all!

Plu

[moderator:v44zbzxq]Don't advertise in your first post. That's not a nice thing to do.[/moderator:v44zbzxq]

GalacticBusDriver

Just re-watched "How to Train Your Dragon" the other night and was reminded why this is movie was easily one of the top ten ever made.

All the technical aspects are done very well and it tells a great story. 9.9/10
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Shiranu

I need to watch that and Frozen someday... Frozen... Freezing... Frosted... w/e...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Notthesun

How To Train Your Dragon is my favorite animated movie ever. I cannot wait for part 2!

Also, Frozen is amazing. Fuck, I love that movie.