Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I would rather spend a year cleaning up elephant dung then watching suicide squad. If anyone wants a proper adaptation of it, just see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYSYsc_Aj0

Goes with a massive pet peeve I have about movie makers still believing live action will be better then animated. Fuck these people, best spiderman movie to come out of late, animated. Best adaptation of suicide squad, animated. Live action lion king because its better when animated look photo realistic? fuck you animated original still beats you.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2019, 12:25:04 PM
I would rather spend a year cleaning up elephant dung then watching suicide squad. If anyone wants a proper adaptation of it, just see this.

Goes with a massive pet peeve I have about movie makers still believing live action will be better then animated. Fuck these people, best spiderman movie to come out of late, animated. Best adaptation of suicide squad, animated. Live action lion king because its better when animated look photo realistic? fuck you animated original still beats you.

Animated DC universe is simply swell.
Seen a lot of the movies, they easily average out on an A-.
(or is it a B+?, 8.5 out of 10 easy)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2019, 12:25:04 PMGoes with a massive pet peeve I have about movie makers still believing live action will be better then animated. Fuck these people, best spiderman movie to come out of late, animated. Best adaptation of suicide squad, animated. Live action lion king because its better when animated look photo realistic? fuck you animated original still beats you.
I agree, but sadly, animated rarely has anywhere near the budget of life-action movies (and also nowhere near the audience.  Sure, the suicide squad animated version is good, but how many people have seen it?  How many people have seen the live action?

I've talked with Star Wars fans sometimes (I'm talking people wearing a Star Wars t-shirt or similar identifier) and I swear to IPU, the instant I mention anything not from the main 9 movies these people recoil.  We'll talk about how awesome the battle of Hoth or the battle at Geonosis was, and I'll mention the battles at Umbara and it's like a record scratch.  Dafuq.

Gawdzilla Sama

How many of you who are fans of animated features have complained about CGI?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2019, 08:21:23 PM
How many of you who are fans of animated features have complained about CGI?
I generally don't mention it, but if it's distractingly awful, I'll have a word or two about it.  But most movies where the effects are noticeably bad typically have other, far more critical problems.

Why?  Are you about to hatch some weird gotcha?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 07:57:58 AM
I don't like Guardians of the Galaxy.  The entire team just doesn't fit together.
That's the point.  No one on that team belongs.  They're all misfits.  And it's a small miracle they all don't just kill each other.  But somehow, they manage to find just enough common ground to develop some sort of bond.  And eventually, they really are like family.  That's good stuff!

QuoteIf I never hear "I am am Groot" again, I will be pleased.  Groot is Jar Jar Binks Stupid squared.

He's not literally telling you his name, Cap.  Listen to the tone, not the words.  Same deal with Chewbacca and R2D2.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 07:19:46 AM
Looked it up.  What part of it is "superhero"?
Kick-Ass is partially a tribute to the superhero genre and partially a deconstruction.  And the cherry on top is that it came out right at a time when superhero movies were exploding in popularity.

Munch

Same with the first deadpool movie, which people seemed to like a lot because it deconstructed the superhero movie troops while playing to the four wall breaking of the main character as good as in the comics.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

A great time for metahumor, given the wealth of targets back then.

It was also pretty interesting how a mostly selfish guy can end up doing a lot of good in his idiotic quest for a face lift.

Hydra009

So, I saw IT chapters 1&2 recently.

Basically just a fuckton of jumpscares (the laziest of scares), which bored me or disgusted me more than anything else. It (IT) was boringly predictable imo.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but this movie pales in comparison to the original, just like Willy Wonka.  A big part of that is that Tim Curry's Pennywise drew you in with his charm then went straight to 11, while this Pennywise is always disturbing, which got old quick.

Also, and I know this is a trivial point, but FLASHLIGHTS AREN'T GREEN!  (well, not normally)

And another thing, does no one in this shit-kicking town call the cops for anything?  You can straight up go queer bashing right outside of the county fair and none of these assholes get the dime dropped on them?  Dafuq is wrong with these people!?

Imo, the best scene in that whole movie was the chinese restaurant scene (possibly also the ending, which was pretty moving).  Coincidentally, those are also the scenes without IT.

Hydra009

And I dunno what's wrong with me, but I will spend movie night with the fairer sex picking the movie and it absolutely will NOT go according to the stereotype of jumping into each other's arms.  Instead, I'd be traumatized and trying to not throw up and she's perfectly content.  The exact opposite of sexy and exciting.

I really need to change how I approach this and either refuse outright or find some common ground that's a lot more tolerable.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2019, 12:25:04 PM

Hmm. I hadn't heard of this one before, so I found the movie on YouTube and rented it. Not bad. Funny how most of the cast is the same as in the live action film. Except no fire bender or...whoever that guy who could climb walls was named. And Killer Shark? There's a Shark and a Croc? They're practically the same character, except one is more expendable. lol. And that was one thing that bothered me. Most of the Suicide Squad is made up of characters nobody has heard of so the writers could have the option of killing them off. You can't kill a character as important as Harley, so you've gotta have characters the audience doesn't feel too attached to. I also found it a bit annoying how often the female characters were bare chested. Unnecessary sexualization seems to be a pattern in these more recent animated DC films. Other than that, it was an okay film. Glad I watched it, but probably wouldn't watch it a second time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I got carried away at the Redbox and among other films, I rented The Utah Cabin Murders.  Supposedly this really happened. I don't know if it's a good movie, because I could only watch about 10%.  Early on in the film, a mother and daughter are having a discussion about religion, because the grown daughter had left the church, disgusted with all the hypocrisy and money grubbing that goes on in religion in general.  OK, OK, I agree, but this sounded like a set up for some future fuzzy where daughter sees the light and accepts Jesus as her savior, and I'm thinking, "Could this be a backdoor attempt to use Hollywood to save my soul?"  I mean it's THE UTAH CABIN MURDERS for crying out loud.

So I fast forwarded to the middle of the film, where one of the psychos is chasing one of the girls in the family who escaped from the cabin through the woods.  He's just behind her and the filmography shows him slowly gaining on her.  There's lots of shots of running feet:  Now hers.  Then his.  Now hers again.  Suddenly, she stops because she's out of breath, but somehow the psycho is nowhere around.  She's on the lookout though, and she's looking all around except right behind her.  Why doesn't she look behind?  "Look behind you, Dummy!"  Then the psycho comes out of the woods.  He's right behind her, but takes forever to get to her, while she surveys the woods in front of her, even though he was always behind her.  He grabs her shoulder, and she turns around and slams him a good one right in the face, and he's out cold lying on the snow having dropped his knife about two feet from where he's lying.  She doesn't pick up the knife, nor does she kick it away, but just walks around him with her feet always within 12 inches of his hands.  Now even when Cassius Clay sent Sonny Liston to the mat, Liston was still able to get up.  OK, he laid there kind of rolling around before they helped him up, but the psycho is out cold, until he suddenly wakes up with a start and grabs her by the legs.  He was probably just taking a rest, because he overpowers her with new vigor, like he just got up from a power nap.

I turned off the movie and took it back to Redbox.  What is wrong with these people?  Someone, please watch the movie, and tell me if it was any good.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2019, 10:03:03 PM
So, I saw IT chapters 1&2 recently.

Basically just a fuckton of jumpscares (the laziest of scares), which bored me or disgusted me more than anything else. It (IT) was boringly predictable imo.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but this movie pales in comparison to the original
Thanks, I've been thinking about going to that movie on Tuesday, because the original had some undefinable quality about it that put it a little above the rest of the genre.  My worry is that a sequel might not try to recapture the uniqueness  of the first and just end up with scenarios taken from a list of Hollywood jump scares.  Too bad, but not surprising.