News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 01, 2019, 06:12:41 AM
"Super" would be, I think, a person who has abilities, from whatever means/sources, above that of the common person.
But what about aliens?  Their abilities are perfectly ordinary for their race.  Groot's not super compared to other walking trees.  He's only superpowerful from a human perspective.

Gawdzilla Sama

That would be going too deeply into what is, in point of fact, comic book science.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 01, 2019, 05:36:21 PM
But what about aliens?  Their abilities are perfectly ordinary for their race.  Groot's not super compared to other walking trees.  He's only superpowerful from a human perspective.

"Super heroes" can be a difficult term to define. It's kinda one of those things where you know it when you see it. Most people define super heroes as hero characters with super powers. But as mentioned earlier, Batman has no super powers. Do gadgets substitute as super powers? Maybe. But we can make a robot exoskeleton in real life. Does a person donning that exoskeleton become a real life super hero? There are also some unusual people in real life who can do things normal people can't. For example, when people lose their sense of sight, their other senses heighten to make up for it. Daredevil was based on that concept, although his senses are heightened to a greater degree, to the point that he basically has echo location. Are the real life equivalents super heroes? As you say, aliens can also have powers which seem super to earthlings, but are perfectly average on their own planets.

Maybe the easiest way to define super heroes is like this: Fictional characters who fight evil in a larger-than-life fantasy scenario. Batman may be an ordinary man in his universe, but the ways he goes about fighting bad guys is very fantastical. Using technology that doesn't (and sometimes can't) exist, breaking the laws of physics, and sometimes dealing with problems of supernatural origin.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

If there's a real measure of who's a superhero, it's who has guaranteed script immunity.  In the real world, statistically, someone would have thought to aim something high-caliber and/or explosive at Batman's unmasked and unprotected lower face by now.

Because let's face it, in comics, there are only three permanent deaths (not counting faceless victims and innocent bystanders): Thomas and Martha Wayne, and Ben Parker.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on May 02, 2019, 01:44:09 AM
If there's a real measure of who's a superhero, it's who has guaranteed script immunity.  In the real world, statistically, someone would have thought to aim something high-caliber and/or explosive at Batman's unmasked and unprotected lower face by now.

Because let's face it, in comics, there are only three permanent deaths (not counting faceless victims and innocent bystanders): Thomas and Martha Wayne, and Ben Parker.

In comics, sure. But it's different in the movies. Deaths in the MCU happen occasionally, and they typically stay dead. Quicksilver, for example, likely ain't gonna return. Granted, he was only a hero for about five minutes, but still. Super villains are especially more expendable in the movies. Since the writers know they're just going to use a different villain next time, the villain nearly always gets killed off at the end.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 02, 2019, 02:49:44 AM
In comics, sure. But it's different in the movies. Deaths in the MCU happen occasionally, and they typically stay dead. Quicksilver, for example, likely ain't gonna return. Granted, he was only a hero for about five minutes, but still. Super villains are especially more expendable in the movies. Since the writers know they're just going to use a different villain next time, the villain nearly always gets killed off at the end.

Implicit Abrahamic religion.  Otherwise both hero and villain would be reincarnated.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 02, 2019, 02:49:44 AM
But you can't kill a great villain, he helped make money at the box office.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 02, 2019, 01:44:09 AM
*cues footage of Kick-Ass look-alike getting gunned down by the mob*

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvZaBf9QQI

Westworld has gotten really weird lately...

(Imho, this looks just bad enough to be actually enjoyable.  I'd never watch it in theaters, but an april 20th rental...)

Baruch

Two new movies coming ...

Tolkien ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1vn85iQRE

A story of the story maker

All Is True ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4K5-5_N1s

Kenneth Branagh plays Shakespeare in retirement
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 01, 2019, 05:36:21 PMGroot's not super compared to other walking trees.

I thought he had the power to heal or something like that didn't he?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on May 02, 2019, 04:20:43 PM
I thought he had the power to heal or something like that didn't he?
He can fully regrow from even a small twig, though this can take weeks.  Additionally, he can do short, temporary bursts of growth - lengthening his arm or growing vines from his hands to reach a ledge.  These temporary bursts wither within seconds.

Gawdzilla Sama

He used to be a bad guy, didn't he?
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Saw Endgame today, complete spoilers below on my rundown of the movie.

[spoiler]I saw avengers End game. I got a lot to say about it, so to do so I’m going to break it up into sections. First I want to gush over the movie, then I want to break down the points I loved about it, other people I was unsure of, and maybe just a couple points I found just not to my liking, which is a very short list.

First, gushing.

This movie was a fantastic send off to the MCU. All other movies prior to it had been building up to  it, the character arches coming to a close like cap and iron man and black widow, and maybe others. It had some tone shifts though it that worked well in places, the somber mood of the first chapter, the more fun hijinx of the time travel chapter, and the heart pumping action of the final battle, leading to a sad but satifying conclusion to the avengers as we know them. This felt like a true conclusion to something I've been invested in for years, even longer if i include my comic book days of reading about these characters. I felt genuine emotion in many points in this movie, as much as I felt when watching Logan.

Onto the key points.

points I loved:

- I loved the fact that in this movie, while in past movie, Thanos was shown in an almost sympathetic light to how he saw the universe. Infinity war made you almost side with him in his belief that wiping out half of all life in the universe would benefit it, and nothing would stop his goal to get there, even sacrificing his adopted daughter to do that.
This movie, end game, just break that down, and shows just how whatever harp strings were made for thanos in infinity war, it was all bullshit, because he really was just an insane tyrant no true care for ‘saving half the universe’ or ‘because its fair’, in this one it straight up near the end shows he really didn’t give a shit, he just formed an idea in his head, and went with it, and now he saw that his idea for a perfect universe failed, he decides he wants to just end it all. All that sob story for him in the first is made null and void because of it.

- I loved Nebula’s development in this. I was concerned how they would use her, because in the comics, she was the one who had undone everything thanos had set in motion, but in the comics she became the bad guy to overcome. They didn’t do that however, and made her growth as a character all the more meaningful her, she was fantastic.

- I’ve seen people complain, and even buzzfeed writers whining about this, but I’m gonna say it, fuck them, I loved Thor in this. We’ve seen him change over the years, and he has gone though so much loss, more then anyone, his family, his friends, his home, his people, including from losing his eye to his hammer being lost, in this we actually see all that shit finally breaking him down, and him hitting rock bottom. People complain about the beer gut, how he’s got serious anxiety, how he’s just a broken shell. Well, NO FUCKING DURR, He’s been though so much shit.
And yet, in a review chris stuckmann put about this movie, he highlighted a great point, that inspite of fallen so low he’s now got a beer gut and looks a mess, Thor still rises to the challenge, and fights Thanos with both his weapons at the end of the movie, and he did so not with the body of an Adonis. That actually felt great to me, since lets be honest we don’t see very many overweight superheroes, and just seeing him do this despite how he looked felt charming to me. I guess I was also just happy to see his long hair back.

- Professor Hulk just had be smiling ear to ear. In the comics, professor hulk (bruce banners mind in control of the hulks body) was what endured me to the character back in the 90s, and while this version of hulk didn’t last, I loved those comics, because it just seemed like bruce banner was finally a complete person, happier and more enduring to everyone around him. And they nailed that her with this take on the hulk. Some people might be put off that the character of hulk isn’t here rather mark ruffalo’s Bruce Banner is, but for me it was a fond reminder of my favourite comic era for the hulk.

- Tony Stark/Iron mans death, I didn’t think it would impact me the way it did (I didn’t know who would really be dying off in this going it, kept myself spoiler free), so when the scene happened, with Peter beside him, and Pepper, I admit, I teared up. Ironman was the first of the real MCU characters, and him being one of the ones to die saving everyone felt like it had meaning to it, all he did, fact that he had a family, fact that he brought back those that meant something to him, it felt like his arch was complete, so yeah, I teared up, it meant something.

- also black widows death, I can see why they did this. She said for her, the avengers were like a family to her, at the start of the movie we saw how she stepped up to help lead what was left of the avengers in a time when the world was just broken. In hawkeyes case, while losing his family lead him down to a dark place of killing criminals, he still had a family with a chance of saving them, so her sacrifice was like her giving him a chance to be with them again, the chance he needed to save them. That again had a lot of meaning.
When you kill characters off with real meaning, it leaves that impact. Just mindlessly killing characters off for weak plot reasons has always been something I hate, but when it had deeper meaning, and isn’t done en masse (game of thrones cough cough) then the deaths that do occur have a purpose and build those that actually survive, such as in hawkeye and bruce/hulks case here.

- The time travel aspects were interesting, though I’ll get more into that in my less then favourable parts. I loved the fact they called out other time travel movies, and how the ancient one described it simply as time acting like singular timeline, and making alterations in it like taking an infinity stone out from it causes a rift that could damage the main timeline. That I liked, because time travel plots are fickle, you can do them a right way or a wrong way, but this method of how ‘we were always destined to time travel to the point’ has always been a good one, since it keeps things neat.

- When cap was in the lift when they travelled to the past avengers tower, and he whispered to the ‘shield agent’ hail hydra. I gotta be honest this threw me, because of knowing where this came from. And thoughout the movie I seriously thought ‘oh fuck, they didn’t make cap the secret agent of hydra like in the comics did that!?’. In the comics the red skull used either the mind stone or charles xaviers mind (its complicated) to manipulate cap into thinking he was always a secret agent of hydra. Fans hated this, and yet the plot kept up for years. What pissed off fans about this in the comics was because captain america was invented by jack kirby, a jewish guy, making a symbol to fight against the tyrannical nazism at the time, so to have that same cap in the comics become a nazi was just a shit in the face of his meaning.
What it actually meant in the movie, were the writers giving a middle finger to the writers of that comics, because the MCU cap isn’t a secret hydra agent, he just knew those shield agents were hydra agents from the future, and used that knowledge to fool them into getting the case from them.
Apparently fans cheered at this moment knowing they were taking the piss out of the comics.

- the possible last cameo of stan lee. I smiled and even waved at the screen when he past on by. Aww.

- Funny enough, I did not mind captain marvel in this movie, and only because it seemed like the writers used her just right. I still have a strong negative towards brie larson, but putting that aside for this movie, I actually appreciated what the writers did with her. I once liked the character enough from the 90s comics, and it almost seemed like they got some good points off with her. Her only being in the movie for a short time, because this movie was more about the original avengers. It did feel satifying to see her destroy Thanos’ ship, and then hold toe to toe with him, just for him to use one of the gems to throw her off, she didn’t win the fight but she was one of the ones who came close to.

Now, some less favored points

- I mentioned how I loved the time travel aspect of things happening because they were destined to time travel. Thats all well and good, but certain points are left open in this story that had me stretching my head. For one, when early nebula uses the device to pull Thanos’ ship to the past, when current nebula fights and kills past nebula, how could current nebula still exist? Even going by the whole time travel rules here, she shouldn’t have existed, it opens the grandfather paradox.

- Thanos destroyed the infinity stones. There might have been an explanation already, but fact is the infinity stones are part of the fundamental aspect of the universe, it was even said, you can’t really destroy them because it would destroy everything. And yet Thanos does this. The only explanation I can think of is because cap returns the stones to the points in time they were meant to exist in, this negated them being destroyed by thanos?

- If past loki got the tesseract in avengers tower due to hulk, either that was always meant to happen, or it created a plothole. We know he had the tesseract when facing Thanos, some theorised he simply used it to escape and gave it back to odins vault?

- If current thor went back in time to get the stone from past asgard, and he got mjolnir back with him, wouldn’t this screw with his own timeline, since the destruction of mjolnir in ragnarok was a turning point for him. Did he return mjolnir to the past after these events?

And now some points of what I just didn’t like (but weren’t anything that took me out of the movie)

- I will say this one problem, going back to thor, as some reviewers have pointed it out, because like say I don’t mind where he characters ended up, how far he’s sunk, and how he manages to bounce back at the end of the movie. As someone pointed out on another view, its the fact that while say tony starks decent into misery and lose is taken very serious, it seems like they take thors one, and play it up for laughs.

In a way, this is the problem I had with ragnarok. When they first made thor in the MCU, they made him more serious in tone, in his first 2 movies. Those movies didn’t get as much traction, and so the writers of ragnarok made that movie into a tone shift from serious, to guardians of the galaxy comedic and light hearted. I for one saw the difference, and realised they made a change to thors character, in order to get bums in seats, without thinking of how it would work in the long run.

Like say, I loved the idea of Thor being so down in the mud, and from that he could rise up and be a badass again against Thanos. But how they got him there was less them taken serious as it was with say ironman.

Thors my fav character in the MCU, I’ve loved chris hemsworth as him, and like anytime he’s on screen as him, but once getting past that fangasming, this movie did have moments of not taking his problems as seriously as say other characters in it. It was like without the guardians of the galaxy mostly present, they shifted the humor they had in infinity war onto Thor.

I was just glad for the tone getting back to the right place when the main battle began. And again, it wasn’t his appearance, the fact he was so low down, even his anxiety attacks. It was the tone they went for with him during it.

Now despite the plotholes with time travel and odd tone shifting in places, I still loved this movie, from the opening scene to the final moments in it, I felt invested and satisfied with it. Those points I mentioned were things I thought about afterward as holes, but during it I still very much enjoyed the movie. It wasn’t a perfect thing, but the important thingsite needed to tell were very, very good, such as certain characters stories ending, the action and battles in it, the satisfaction of the good guys winning despite their sacrifices given, I still loved it despite some of the problems

8.5/10

One last point I forgot to add here. Ironman might have defeated Thanos, Hulk brought everyone back to life. All the avengers played their part in finishing him.

But none of that could have been possible, if not for the true hero of this story.

We celebrate you, warehouse Rat!

[/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin