News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 26, 2019, 11:11:20 AM
But did you hear about the special makeup effects artist? I heard they're racist AND homophobic. You can't support a movie with a special makeup effects artist like that, can you?

It is a conundrum.  All actors should be Black or female, better be both.  But for White or male to be employed in acting, you need makeup per Al Jolson or Mrs Doubtfire.  Which is cultural appropriation, misogynist and racist.  So better just fire all White or male actors, to get the reparations going ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I saw End Game last night. My god, it is fucking awesome. It might have been three hours, but it didn't feel like it to me. There are just a few nitpicky problems I have with it, which can't be mentioned without spoilers, but I doubt Marvel will ever be able to top this. If you like Marvel movies, go watch it. But definitely don't get a drink. Three hours is a long time to hold it. lol

[Spoiler=Do not read until you've seen the movie]There is time travel in the movie, and it does get a little confusing. Based on what the bald lady from Dr. Strange said, dark branches in the timeline would be created if the Infinity Stones were not returned to their place and time of origin. And the present is not affected by changes in the past. So that implies that returning the stones cleaned up the timeline, so that there were no branches. Essentially, but fixing the biggest changes to the timeline, the timeline was able to correct itself and return to normal. However, Captain America goes to the past and doesn't return. Since he's there, he didn't create a timeline split, but rather a closed loop. Confusing, but I think I understand it.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 26, 2019, 11:11:20 AM
But did you hear about the special makeup effects artist? I heard they're racist AND homophobic. You can't support a movie with a special makeup effects artist like that, can you?
I heard listening to Michael Jackson's songs makes you a pedophile.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 27, 2019, 01:43:23 PMBut definitely don't get a drink. Three hours is a long time to hold it.
Amauters.  I go whole shifts without peeing sometimes.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 27, 2019, 06:33:29 PM
I'm peeing right now.

Old person advice ... don't leave home or a restaurant, without peeing first ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm sitting at my desk and peeing. Your rule doesn't apply.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 27, 2019, 07:35:24 PM
I'm sitting at my desk and peeing. Your rule doesn't apply.

Eww ... what size Depends?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

The cartoon send-ups of the movies have me rolling on the floor ... I am my own Roomba ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-oyxwvcGrY

This Australian team is really ... down under!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I am completely indifferent to Endgame or whatever it's called.  I have no opinion on whether it's a good or a bad movie -- I just don't care.  No interest in seeing it, or any of the zillion other Marvel Universe movies.  Effects extravaganzas either make me dizzy or trigger migraines anyway.

My favorite superhero movie remains the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman, with Mystery Men and The Incredibles not far behind.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Love The Incredibles. The new one does justice to the franchise.

Never seen Mystery Men.

The live action cartoon I don't miss at all.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 27, 2019, 08:23:05 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-wont-include-300-million-debut.html

LOL
The article makes an interesting point about not being able to hit the 300 million debut record on the grounds that American theaters do not have the capacity to sell that many tickets.
First and foremost, “Endgame” is not the only film in theaters this weekend. “The Curse of La Llorona,” “Breakthrough,” “Shazam!,” “Hellboy,” “Missing Link,” “Dumbo” and “Captain Marvel,” among others, are contracted to play over the weekend at theaters nationwide. Even if no one were to attend these screenings, theaters are still obligated to set aside screens for these films to play.
In addition, there are more movies playing this weekend than those just mentioned, at least at my theaters.  Also, my nearest theaters have gone to a new type seating with full reclining seats wider than regular seats, which also take up more room front to back, cutting the capacity of each theater in the multiplex to probably 1/3 of normal.  It might be less than that.   I'm not sure what the phrase in the article "contracted to play" means legally.  Does this mean a theater can fulfil it's contract by showing Dumbo only once on Sunday?  As of today (Sunday) Endgame is scheduled for 31 separate showings at one local Cineplex starting at 30 minute intervals, so Cineplexes apparently have reserve capacities that I've never seen tapped before, because I've never seen that many showings listed for a movie in one day. 

At any rate, this is going to be a spectacular week for Marvel, probably record breaking in the film industry in any event. Marvel's achievement continues to amaze me.  I keep wondering how long this consumer infatuation will continue.  I've never seen anything like it.  3D was supposed to be a breath new life to Hollywood.  It fell flat.  Instead what created new interest was just plain old 2D, done in a more appealing format.  I also wonder if Stan Lee's death will have an eventual effect on this phenomenon.  I don't know how much control he had over Marvel's film making, or if his influence played a big part or not.

Gawdzilla Sama

Distributors want a certain number of seats available for their offerings. The theaters want the most seats for the best draws because they have to pay for the right to show them. This is negotiated with every new release.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2019, 08:32:06 AM
The article makes an interesting point about not being able to hit the 300 million debut record on the grounds that American theaters do not have the capacity to sell that many tickets.
Apparently they do, because it topped $350 million domestically.