Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on December 03, 2018, 07:46:26 PM
A RomCom ... what is wrong with that?

The singing.
The dancing.
Some of The acting.
Knowing exactly where The plot is headed also strips most of The 'pezaz' The first showing had.

It can use flashy colors all it wants; it's still boring.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 04, 2018, 12:49:19 AM
The singing.
The dancing.
Some of The acting.
Knowing exactly where The plot is headed also strips most of The 'pezaz' The first showing had.

So they need CGI?  They need giant robots?  Every movie needs giant robots?

Stylistically, it definitely felt like 1950s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 04, 2018, 12:49:19 AM
The singing.
The dancing.
Some of The acting.

I kind of enjoyed watching actors who were not accomplished dancers and singers giving it a shot, but the plot was tedious.  Being a musical, I expected even less.  Ryan Gosling learned to play the piano for the movie, well not exactly the piano, but part of one simple tune, which was played a few too many times throughout the movie.  I guess they wanted it to act as a kind of theme for the movie.  I could not shake that tune out of my head after the movie, a slow boring one finger at a time melody:

"A simple sad song,"
"But not all that long,"
"That lingers,"
"And... lingers,"
"And even slows down,"
"Until... it... is... Gone."

"There's only four notes,"
"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

"And now it returns,"
"And we do it again,"
"The same old tune."
"We'll do it again,"
"Ryan plays it all night,"
"He can't get it right."

"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

"It comes back around."
"That same old sad sound."
"You can go take a shower."
"It goes on an hour."
"That same old sad sound,"
"Keeps coming around."

"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on December 04, 2018, 01:28:27 AM
So they need CGI?  They need giant robots?  Every movie needs giant robots?

I was thinking more in the line of interesting characters i could relate to.

Stylistically, it definitely felt like 1950s.

Sadly, i can't drink from that nostalgia-well

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on December 04, 2018, 01:59:34 AM
I kind of enjoyed watching actors who were not accomplished dancers and singers giving it a shot, but the plot was tedious.  Being a musical, I expected even less.  Ryan Gosling learned to play the piano for the movie, well not exactly the piano, but part of one simple tune, which was played a few too many times throughout the movie.  I guess they wanted it to act as a kind of theme for the movie.  I could not shake that tune out of my head after the movie, a slow boring one finger at a time melody:

"A simple sad song,"
"But not all that long,"
"That lingers,"
"And... lingers,"
"And even slows down,"
"Until... it... is... Gone."

"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

"And now it returns,"
"And we do it again,"
"The same old tune."
"We'll do it again,"
"Ryan plays it all night,"
"He can't get it right."

"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

"It comes back around."
"That same old sad sound."
"You can go take a shower."
"It goes on an hour."
"That same old sad sound,"
"Keeps coming around."

"Played on and on,"
"In no real order,"
"Just over and over,"
"Over and over,"
"And over and over."

I will agree that it has a better story than your average musical. It's not like it is as bad as say 'mamma mia'. But i don't think musicals Should be held to a lower standard. When i go to a show, i want to be told and shown a story. That above all else. And if the music and songs can help you immerse, that's great. But if they can't pull that of, most often you're stuck watching a mediocre to bad play desperately trying to hide behind flashy routine, kind of like tying a sweater over your ass to hide how big it is: that doesn't work. It only points it out more.

Anyway, my two cents, of course.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 04, 2018, 03:25:40 AM
I will agree that it has a better story than your average musical. It's not like it is as bad as say 'mamma mia'. But i don't think musicals Should be held to a lower standard. When i go to a show, i want to be told and shown a story. That above all else. And if the music and songs can help you immerse, that's great. But if they can't pull that of, most often you're stuck watching a mediocre to bad play desperately trying to hide behind flashy routine, kind of like tying a sweater over your ass to hide how big it is: that doesn't work. It only points it out more.

Didn't like the original Mama Mia!  Philistine!

2nd Mama Mia ... nostalgia for those who liked the first one ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 04, 2018, 03:25:40 AM

I have to confess that I have been a closet fan of a cheap franchise of dance movies all named after the first film "Step Up"  These are 6 films that are so formulated and stylized that you can't remember which one was which.  They became popular enough to become the target of that movie genre that does nothing but satirize other genres.  The satire was simply called The Dance Movie, on the heels of The Superhero Movie, and a bunch of other "Genre" Movie satires.

I pulled those 6 movies out from my personal "Music and Dance" category a couple of weeks ago and rewatched them all not having done so for several years.  One of them begins with dancers getting out of their cars in city gridlock and dancing wildly in the streets, and it dawned on me that Hollywood writers had ripped off that exact scene to open La La Land, creating for audiences the impression that they are about to witness a marvelous cinematic extravaganza.  Of course, both Step Up #?? and La La Land slide downhill quickly after that, but while Step UP sustains the frenzy, La La Land slides into a depressing examination of dysfunction, where partners make all the right decisions to sabotage themselves.  Granted, depressing movies of dysfunctional aspects of society often get great reviews from critics, so I'm guessing that there is a significant niche group that finds this interesting. 

Not everyone expects you to love their genre, and there is no reason anyone has to.  I have a friend that holds the Marvel Cinematic Universe in utter contempt, although he has seen not one Marvel movie, but he's a classic "Old Poop," and we are still good friends.  I don't criticize him for his appreciation of vomit films that swim around in the misery of the human condition.  Hollywood caters to many tastes.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Rampage", because I need a double feature with "Jumanji".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 04, 2018, 11:10:36 AM
"Rampage", because I need a double feature with "Jumanji".
I just rewatched Central Intelligence last night for the 3rd time.  I really like Dwayne Johnson.  Most of those Hollywood muscle types strut around on the screen acting all badass, but Johnson often acts like he's not even aware of his body or at least like it's no big deal to look like Mr. Universe, which gives the impression he's just a regular guy in a big body.  He's just plain likeable, with or without the muscles.  Of course Hollywood always has him taking off his shirt for one reason or another, and that's fine, but he doesn't need to in my opinion.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 04, 2018, 01:51:32 PM
I just rewatched Central Intelligence last night for the 3rd time.  I really like Dwayne Johnson.  Most of those Hollywood muscle types strut around on the screen acting all badass, but Johnson often acts like he's not even aware of his body or at least like it's no big deal to look like Mr. Universe, which gives the impression he's just a regular guy in a big body.  He's just plain likeable, with or without the muscles.  Of course Hollywood always has him taking off his shirt for one reason or another, and that's fine, but he doesn't need to in my opinion.

I like Dwayne Johnson, because he seems to be a nice guy, and they give him funny scenes to do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Your be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't considered dwayne johnson charming, likable, or good looking.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

I watched Venom. I liked him. :) I liked them both. I didn't expect that. 

I couldn't finish Lala land. It's ...too lalalala. I don't have anything against musicals. I liked Sweeny Todd and Miserable. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on December 04, 2018, 01:51:32 PM
He mocks his size in both movies. In "Rampage" he's choking out an MP and says "That's a big arm, don't fight it."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 07, 2018, 12:59:09 PM
I watched Venom. I liked him. :) I liked them both. I didn't expect that. 
Venom had fanbois fainting, but I had no baggage going in so I had fun.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 07, 2018, 01:12:48 PM
Venom had fanbois fainting, but I had no baggage going in so I had fun.

I heard so many bad reviews about it, but same... I went in with no expectations and really enjoyed it. It certainly had a few flaws, but it's also one of the few movies I have seen that got an audible chuckle out of me at several points as well as several scenes I thought were just straight up badass.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur