Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on November 27, 2018, 12:55:58 PM
The devil's in the details
We'd have to turn him around to see de tail.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy GOP dog.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 27, 2018, 02:23:03 PM
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy GOP dog.

Fewer blue-dog Dems in the Congress.  They got replaced with the real thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yesterday I watched one of my favorite old movies. I had only seen it once, decades ago, but it stuck with me, so I finally got around to watching it again - My Name Is Nobody, with Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill. A great movie! Maybe not the best western ever made, but damn close to it. At least, it's among my favorite old westerns, though I'm not normally a big fan of the genre. There are some really good, well made ones that I like, such as the spaghetti westerns with Eastwood, and such.

Damn, I just found out there's a sequel! A Genious, Two Partners, and a Dupe. I'll have to watch it, now. Have any of you seen it?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Incredibles II  10/10

I just finished watching.  I laughed so much.  It was great superhero satire.  Familiarity with Marvel and DC a must.  They put in characters similar to the superheroes we know in situations that are vaguely similar to the ones we've seen, but they ramped up the silliness.  They've even got a character that throws Dr. Strange portals about the place, and a Hulk like guy that does the "smash" thing shows up in a brief appearance, like many of the other characters.  It also does one of the fun scenes from the X-Men movies.  It's so fast passed, I must have missed much of the humor.  I'm going watch it again right away.  What a delight for a Pixar cartoon that I almost didn't rent on the grounds that it was a cartoon for little kids.  It's not that at all.

Baruch

Better than Watchmen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjMO_k9IF8

Similar idea, but not done for laughs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

It doesn't exist, but fuck this plot for a movie sounds amazing...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Civil servants supervise people?  Isn't that an oxymoron?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 29, 2018, 07:01:55 AM
Civil servants supervise people?  Isn't that an oxymoron?

Bureaucrats want to supervise every sheet of toilet paper you use, to make sure you don't use too much.  I presently work in the government, I know.  Of course bureaucrats exist in every major corporation.  Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated, you will not get the key to the executive wash room ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Kin 36% from Critics  58% from audiences

I'd give this Sci Fi flic an 8/10 or a 9/10, so once again I'm out of sync.  There are definitely parts of the movie that tax the suspension of belief beyond normal abilities.  Of course Sci Fi always does.  Good Sci Fi manages to stay within an acceptable range, however.  The character development could have been a bit more subtle, maybe.  But having said that, it's a good story that is rather unique.  I experienced a lot of unsettling "How can this be" moments, but a short series of scenes near the end, with but a minimum of dialog, clears up almost all of those things that don't make sense.  And rather than seeming like the writers just tacked it on in order to achieve that clarity, it blends well into the story smoothly as a very integral part.  I'd be curious about the reaction of others, since my opinion seems to be so far from the average.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 02, 2018, 08:46:20 PM
Kin 36% from Critics  58% from audiences

I'd give this Sci Fi flic an 8/10 or a 9/10, so once again I'm out of sync.  There are definitely parts of the movie that tax the suspension of belief beyond normal abilities.  Of course Sci Fi always does.  Good Sci Fi manages to stay within an acceptable range, however.  The character development could have been a bit more subtle, maybe.  But having said that, it's a good story that is rather unique.  I experienced a lot of unsettling "How can this be" moments, but a short series of scenes near the end, with but a minimum of dialog, clears up almost all of those things that don't make sense.  And rather than seeming like the writers just tacked it on in order to achieve that clarity, it blends well into the story smoothly as a very integral part.  I'd be curious about the reaction of others, since my opinion seems to be so far from the average.

I have seen the preview twice ... looks like a good kid flick.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

the_antithesis

The Meg.  Should be called the Meh. A movie where circumstances contrive reasons for Jason Stathan to go man to man against a giant shark should be more fun than this.

I did have an epiphany. It starts with a mission going bad and no one believes Statham that there was a giant shark and the doctor from that mission is on this new mission keeps saying he's crazy and shit and I thought to myself "This subplot is not fun." It peters out quickly once the giant shark becomes undeniably evident,  but other such scene would happen, like the love interest thing between Statham and Li Bingbing even though he spends most of the time chatting up her daughter (Shuya Sophia Cai). These scenes are cliche but more importantly not any fucking fun. It reminded me of Battleship, of all things. What should be a fun genre flick is bogged down by shitty scenes where they try to make us care about these flat, boring characters. I thought of doing an edit of Battleship where all those scenes are cut out and see if the movie is improved at all, but I doubt it because Battleship is an ugly, ugly movie.

It did remind me of a scene that puzzled me. There is an annoying scientist character who needs to go get a thing from his lab where the aliens have already taken over. He sneaks in and gets the thing and finds himself looking right at an alien in its silly armor and shit. He start shaking uncontrollably and the alien reaches out and puts a hand on the thing to stop him shaking. Then we see him run outside and back to the others.

What. The. Fuck.

How the hell did he get out of that? I'd say the movie was cut for time, but the movie was two hours and twelve fucking minutes, so no. There is no pay off for this. That particular alien does not come back. There is no pay off. There must have been something that inexplicably got cut when they could have cut the entire encounter.

There are many possibilities, but I suspect the alien was a female alien who let him go because she felt sorry for him. Basically making the statement that women don't belong in the military because they're all emotional and shit and will let an important enemy with important equipment go and cost you the war. This didn't jibe with the badass female military thing they had going with Rhianna, so they changed it. To nothing. They should have just cut it.

I relate all this to someone at work and he said I just wanted to know if the guy hooked up with the alien. I said, yes. I wanna know if an alien's vagina can SUCK!

Mr.Obvious

Lala land
First time i was like: okay, not that bad.

Rewatching it with The gf.
This is killing me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 03, 2018, 04:05:42 PM
Lala land
First time i was like: okay, not that bad.

Rewatching it with The gf.
This is killing me.

A RomCom ... what is wrong with that?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.