News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2018, 07:59:29 AM
#2 and #3 should have never been made.  Both cast a deadening anticlimactical pallor over what might be one of Marvel's top 5 movies.  For me, Iron Man marked Marvel's entrance into the world of film and defined a leap forward in the genre.  They had been there before, but not with as a dominating force.  I think #2 and #3 were critical stumbles that could have killed Marvel and turned it into another short lived curiosity.  But someone in the head office decided that sequels, although profitable must not ride solely on a previous success, but have something to offer in their own right.

I thought #2 was good.  He needed a character competing on his own turf.  And I loved (and I'm going to get this wrong slightly)  "how did you solve the frammistat chill problem"? line.

There is much to dislike about the character of Tony Stark. He is basically a self-centered jerk.   But one thing I admire is that he will risk everything to death in pursuit of trying to succeed.  When he guided the atomic bomb to the other world ship and fell, I did actually cry.

Hurrah for the Hulk...

And I noticed in 'Civil War' that Thor and Hulk were not involved.  They would have lopsided either side or (if on opposite sides - as if the Hulk could take a side) it would have been too much about them. 

I guess that's enough for now.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 07:40:31 AM
Yes Munch, I read the old comics until the cost went nuts in the 90s.  My Marvel universe is basically there.  I accept that my understanding of them pretty much stopped there.  But that is what they were and everything different is not following the canon, so to speak. 

I could accept Captain America and Iron Man being on different sides of a fight, though I was surprised that Captain America wasn't on the government side until I thought about it.  Iron Man HAD to be governmental , as he had a business with government.

But some of the characters really bothered me in that movie (which I DID enjoy).  Spiderman especially.  He has always been my favorite character.  Other characters were either kids powered up to adults or adults. 

I read the orginal Spiderman comics (Amazing Stories, I think, and then Spiderman #1.  Yes, I had them in my hands as I did Fantistic Four #1 and others when I could afford the 10 or 12 cents).

One of the things I notice in movies is the logical continuation of the dress or background.  So when a movie remake changes that on me, I notice and register that in my mind.  When a movie breaks the origins or characters, that bothers me too. 

They screwed up Spiderman in The Civil War.  I really hated that.  Marvel also screwed up Iron Man in #3 with all those suits. 

I try to accept and adjust and move on.  But sometimes they make it hard.

GROK?

being honest I'm the same, I've been a marvel fan since the late 80s and buying a lot of comics since then and though the 90s to the early 2000s, and I today I just can't pick up a modern day marvel comic with some of the stuff they've pulled in the last 10-15 years.
I get what you mean about spiderman too, infact I looked into it thanks to guys like Linkara on his channel about it, and the travesty that was One More Day, but even before that the comics civil war story just pissed me off looking into it, characters were just out of character, infact they were complete dicks, especially iron man.

The biggest cringe for me however, since in the comics civil war event, which had a longer and more developed reason for their being two sides, iron mans pro registration side, which forced super heroes to become slaves to the government and give up their secret identities (which spiderman did on to the media resulting in the kingpin shooting aunt may and leading to One More Day), what the biggest cringefest for me in that entire series, was how the marvel editors concluded, that the pro registration.. was the 'right side', the correct side to be on.

its reasons like this I gave up reading marvel, even before it turned into the social justice clusterfuck its become recently.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Cavebear - "I went nuts in the 90s ..."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 11:48:29 AM
You suck...

Just quoting you out of context, like a "cub" reporter ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2018, 08:43:55 AM
being honest I'm the same, I've been a marvel fan since the late 80s and buying a lot of comics since then and though the 90s to the early 2000s, and I today I just can't pick up a modern day marvel comic with some of the stuff they've pulled in the last 10-15 years.
I get what you mean about spiderman too, infact I looked into it thanks to guys like Linkara on his channel about it, and the travesty that was One More Day, but even before that the comics civil war story just pissed me off looking into it, characters were just out of character, infact they were complete dicks, especially iron man.

The biggest cringe for me however, since in the comics civil war event, which had a longer and more developed reason for their being two sides, iron mans pro registration side, which forced super heroes to become slaves to the government and give up their secret identities (which spiderman did on to the media resulting in the kingpin shooting aunt may and leading to One More Day), what the biggest cringefest for me in that entire series, was how the marvel editors concluded, that the pro registration.. was the 'right side', the correct side to be on.

its reasons like this I gave up reading marvel, even before it turned into the social justice clusterfuck its become recently.

Thank you Munch.  That was a very reasoned and thoughtful reply.  It is very difficult to explain to those who know only the movies how different the comic world was and how important "continuity" is  to those like me who grew up on just those. 

To those of you who never read the "comic books" of the characters you are watching the movies of, I used to struggle about which 2  12 cent monthly ones to spend my quarter on.  I once held FF#1 and Spiderman #1 in my hands not dreaming they would become valuable.  Mom threw them out later as "trash" like the Sunday newspaper "funnies".

My younger brother and I used to sit of the floor and copy characters like The Thing and Galactus and Sandman onto paper (my brother was MUCH better).  They were our world before the got onto the movies decades later...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 12:07:56 PM
Thank you Munch.  That was a very reasoned and thoughtful reply.  It is very difficult to explain to those who know only the movies how different the comic world was and how important "continuity" is  to those like me who grew up on just those. 

To those of you who never read the "comic books" of the characters you are watching the movies of, I used to struggle about which 2  12 cent monthly ones to spend my quarter on.  I once held FF#1 and Spiderman #1 in my hands not dreaming they would become valuable.  Mom threw them out later as "trash" like the Sunday newspaper "funnies".

My younger brother and I used to sit of the floor and copy characters like The Thing and Galactus and Sandman onto paper (my brother was MUCH better).  They were our world before the got onto the movies decades later...

I.. was kinda lucky, though looking back I could have been even luckier if I had the sense back then to hold myself off. I went to a comics fair in the mid 90s and by some stroke of luck, I found a copy of amazing spiderman#1 with a random bundle I brought. I had it checked at a local comic book store and he confirmed it was genuine (plus the thing had pages a little faded over years). I sold it on ebay for £400, and brought myself a pc with the money.
I kinda think how much more it might have been worth if I had the thing checked and valued and sealed with a certificate.

I learned to draw thanks to marvel, a book I was given 'how to draw the x-men' I think by stan lee. I learned about the marvel technique him and jack kirby used to draw and really loved making up my own characters after learning how to do so.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2018, 12:48:27 PM
I.. was kinda lucky, though looking back I could have been even luckier if I had the sense back then to hold myself off. I went to a comics fair in the mid 90s and by some stroke of luck, I found a copy of amazing spiderman#1 with a random bundle I brought. I had it checked at a local comic book store and he confirmed it was genuine (plus the thing had pages a little faded over years). I sold it on ebay for £400, and brought myself a pc with the money.
I kinda think how much more it might have been worth if I had the thing checked and valued and sealed with a certificate.

I learned to draw thanks to marvel, a book I was given 'how to draw the x-men' I think by stan lee. I learned about the marvel technique him and jack kirby used to draw and really loved making up my own characters after learning how to do so.

See?  Now this is what I love about this site.  All sorts of interesting people after you get them to admit it!  Here we each held and read Spiderman #1, drew some of the Marvel characters, and ah, Stan (the man) Lee and Jack (the king) Kirby.

I tried to sell my collection of Marvel comics (a steamer trunk load) at a bad time.  I showed the dealer my FF#1 (a bit beat up)  and he showed me 5 in perfect condition.  Dang...

I finally had to sell my trunkload to a guy trying to start his on comic shop for $100.  It was rent money.  I wish I had kept them though.

Munch

I still got about three large boxes of comics in my spare room I've been meaning to sell. I tried back in the late 2000s butnever found a buyer, since that many it be pick up only.

I did keep some of my favorite comics though, some wolverine issues, some ka-zar ones, x-men, alpha flight, some 90s aquaman, batman issues, but if I thought certain individual ones would be worth something with the collection I'd add it to them.

Cavebear

What years are they?  You might have luck on ebay.

Munch

Like say they are mostly from the 80s and 90s, mostly marvel, I always brought the newest releases of certain comics each month plus a couple one shots

Shiranu

The new Shazam trailer looks really fun :D
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 21, 2018, 03:49:46 PM
The new Shazam trailer looks really fun :D

I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like the kinda cheesy superhero movie we'd get in the 90s, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I could easily see this kinda movie airing next to Terminator 2. On the other hand, I've kinda gotten used to the modern super hero flicks that take themselves more seriously, so this feels kinda weird.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU

uuurm... eeeeehh... Hmmmm.
I'm still skeptical based on all the other recent DC movies, Dc movies just always come off so dark and gritty compared to marvels.

But I like James Wan, so maybe he can make it work?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2018, 08:36:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU

uuurm... eeeeehh... Hmmmm.
I'm still skeptical based on all the other recent DC movies, Dc movies just always come off so dark and gritty compared to marvels.

But I like James Wan, so maybe he can make it work?

"She doesn't have a parachute!"

Yes. A super hero jumped out of a plane without a parachute. How shocking and original. I've never seen anyone do that bef--

The trailer looks kinda meh. I think I'll pass.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--