News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

King Kong is next.  I used to love that old black and white thing when I was a kid.  The movie was from before my time, and the stop frame photography dated it even back then.  But the rerun played frequently on our black and white TV.  I don't know how many times I watched it.  Now I'm not sure the story was as good as I thought it was.  I won't miss it, however.  I toured Universal Studios a few years back, they still had the miniature ship and the miniature dangerous rocks in their miniature man made lake that was used to film the opening scenes of the last remake.  Something to look forward to on Friday, anyway.

aitm

Allied.  I liked it. What caught me by surprise was that it was over before I expected it. Not that I expected anything particular, but that it moved so well that the end came within the normal time frame so it kept you engaged enough to not notice the time. No it is not a great movie, but it didn't bog down in trying to make more out of the story that would simply detract from the action. And not a LOT of action, but a well scripted, mid-action..well timed. So a nice movie. Would not watch it again and don't pay any more than a few bucks for it, but it is a very nice waste of an hour and a half.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

Probably buying Moana later... anYone See It?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Saw Logan today.

Woo, that was something. Like, probably the most intense marvel movie they've released to date.

Just first to cover the work that went into this, the acting was amazing, you really felt for the characters and even the side characters in this. The score and sound were both incredible, especially the sound effects, there were moments in this movie I was gritted teeth it was so intense. The writing, honestly, one of the best x-men movies there is, and maybe thats because, it didn't feel like an x-men movie. This movie was very much like an old western, coupled with the feel of a Christopher Nolen film.

anyone whos seen previous x-men movies going into this expecting the same, you won't get it, while it has a little of that, this is an entirely different beast.

Now, going into spoilers just to really open up.

[spoiler]From what I gathered from this, while some might argue it, I feel this is set in an alternative future, given how all mutants are killed off. I was a little stuck on the premise how, either it was xavier who killed mutants off when he developed a tumor on his brain, resulting in a shockwave that killed mutant kind across the planet, or if it was the scientist at the end who gave some shill about how he was the cause of it, but that seemed tacked on at the end. The only mutants left unaffected were logan, Caliban, and xavier himself.
X-23, or Laura, along with a bunch of other kids, were genetically engineered kids grown in a lab using the DNA of mutants to create soldiers for the government, but of course that didn't work out and they escaped. I felt like when you see the kids using their powers, they you could tell whos genetic dna they were grown from, hints at ones like iceman and magneto in there.

This is all set in 2028, so this really gives me the impression of it being an alternative future movie, something they've done in comics before, so well the character deaths presented early on and by the end of the movie made it seem open to whatever will happen in the x-men franchise will happen, this is just a timeline where everything goes to shit, and everyone is wiped out.

Hugh in his final performance was marvelous, you really felt his age in this, how deathly sick he is. In something like deadpool, its always played up for laughs how DPs cancer is killing his cells at the same rate his healing factor is curing it, so its a none issue and works in balance. Here, this movie has no comedy, there is no laughs to be had, only softer moments. Wolverine is dying though this movie, and he does die in the end, as most expected he would do, but also so did xavier, so like I said, this felt like an alternative timeline outcome, since I don't see the x-men franchise dying out like this, which honestly this movie if it was 100% canon, it would be the end of the x-men franchise, given how it ends.

That said, because of that premise, it seemed to give the director more freedom to do what he wanted with it, which made this a very powerful movie. I was literalyl on the edge of my seat clenched fists in the hotel scene, where xavier used his power to stop everyone in the area from moving, rigid, pulses of psychic energy vibrating as logan killed the soldiers ready to shoot xavier in the head, that was an badass scene.

And I just love that this movie was unapologetic in its graphic violence. There was so much blood and limbs being cut off and heads decapitated, but to the level I would expect from wolverine. I use to read the wolverine comics, especially in the early 2000s, and for me it always felt like logan was his own beast, separate from the rest of the x-men, the loner, the cowboy, the samuri, all these things, and his comics were always gritty, darker, he wasn't ever your typical hero, he cut people up, he got bloody, and his struggle was maintaining his humanity. This movie captured what those comic books gave me, and for me this is THE wolverine movie.

Just a shame it took this long, and it being the final chance for Hugh to be Logan, to get it, but at least he went on with a bang.

I don't see this as the death of wolverine, it was mroe symbolic of being Hugh's final act as being him, the movie version of him, and he delivered a performance better then any other super hero roll, only compared to deadpool.

One last thing, on X-23, being his daughter, the actress who played her was bloody amazing, quiet for half the movie, but showing such emotion and rage only matched by logan himself. I am not a fan of 'passing the torch' characters, in any genre, because no matter how hard someone will try to, you will never make the child of a famous character or prodigy, to be as awesome as the original. That said, the role she played in this movie, as I said, as an alternative future, it didn't bother me, the x-men and mutants are dead in this story, the only ones left are the genetically engineered mutant kids, and honestly I don't even really think theres anything they can do beyond this story with that.

All in all, this was dark, gritty, a true send off for one of the best comic book roles in movie history, unlike any other hero like batman, superman, fantastic 4, wonder woman, Hugh Jackman has played the role for 17 years, and he's gonna be thought of as THE wolverine for years to come even after this, whoever they get to take over the role.

9.5/10[/spoiler]

btw, just to say to anyone seeing this now at the cinema. I've come to expect there to be a scene at the end of every marvel movie now. I was the last guy in the cinema at the end, I waited till the end credits were over. And.. nothing. There is no final snippet at the end like most marvel movies. That really dug in, how final this felt for me.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

etienne

Jason Bourne:  You Know His Name  I give it 3 out of 5.  It was decent but the plot was essentially a repeat of the Bourne Trilogy.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 08:40:52 PM
Jason Bourne:  You Know His Name  I give it 3 out of 5.  It was decent but the plot was essentially a repeat of the Bourne Trilogy.
I bought a pizza from Marco's, a couple of nights ago. It came with a free movie. I almost rented the new Bourne, but then I remembered that I still hadn't seen John Carter. It turned out to be a very enjoyable Disney epic.

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Story that it's based on, was written 100 years ago, this year. I believe it was the very first adventure on another planet.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Shiranu

I normally judge a movie as such; does it have child actors? Cool, fuck it, it is shit and I don't want to watch it.

To say Laura impressed me is a huge understatement. Absolutely amazing work, and I hope they make movies based on her and the others because... well, shit I liked them.

Also, forgot about the hotel scene. A+.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

etienne

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 10, 2017, 08:59:43 PM
I bought a pizza from Marco's, a couple of nights ago. It came with a free movie. I almost rented the new Bourne, but then I remembered that I still hadn't seen John Carter. It turned out to be a very enjoyable Disney epic.

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Story that it's based on, was written 100 years ago, this year. I believe it was the very first adventure on another planet.
Bourne 5 is worth watching for sure, but it is more or less a carbon copy of the Trilogy with new faces--namely, Alicia Vikander, OUCH!

"Balls of Fury"(!!!), if you haven't seen it, is HILARIOUS and superbly written and casted.  Christopher Walkens, OMG, too funny.  5* all the way.

Saw this "Gods of Egypt" which was actually an excellent and pretty accurate movie of that religion/time period. 4/5.

Mad Max, Fury Road, 5/5 for artistic design alone.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Sorginak

Lavender, one of the better psychological thrillers I have seen in a while.

5/5

etienne

Oh yeah, finally saw, "The Revenant", thought it was superb.  5/5

"A Serious Man", superb, about a middle class Jewish father and his fallout from his religion. 5/5

"Keanu", hilarious, superb, Key and Peele, and cat.  5/5

etienne

Quote from: aitm on March 09, 2017, 05:52:45 PM
Allied.  I liked it. What caught me by surprise was that it was over before I expected it. Not that I expected anything particular, but that it moved so well that the end came within the normal time frame so it kept you engaged enough to not notice the time. No it is not a great movie, but it didn't bog down in trying to make more out of the story that would simply detract from the action. And not a LOT of action, but a well scripted, mid-action..well timed. So a nice movie. Would not watch it again and don't pay any more than a few bucks for it, but it is a very nice waste of an hour and a half.
That one looks good, intriguing, another Nazi flick, eh?  Marion Cotillard is SO HOT!

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 09:41:11 PM
Oh yeah, finally saw, "The Revenant", thought it was superb.  5/5

"A Serious Man", superb, about a middle class Jewish father and his fallout from his religion. 5/5

"Keanu", hilarious, superb, Key and Peele, and cat.  5/5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDmWFTvzto ... thanks, I enjoyed the movie analyst's take on something I hadn't seen.  My life in some respects is like the character in "A Serious Man" ... and I would agree with the movie analyst, but take it one step more meta ... if you want meaning in your life, you have to write your own character, not let others write it for you.

The counter is celebrating Sukkoth ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98QNhD8TQo

The future is a disease, the past is the cure.  The past is a disease, the future is the cure.  Upaya of Buddha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2017, 09:10:25 AM
... thanks, I enjoyed the movie analyst's take on something I hadn't seen.  My life in some respects is like the character in "A Serious Man" ... and I would agree with the movie analyst, but take it one step more meta ... if you want meaning in your life, you have to write your own character, not let others write it for you.

The counter is celebrating Sukkoth ...

The future is a disease, the past is the cure.  The past is a disease, the future is the cure.  Upaya of Buddha.
It can be real tough when you find out Faith and prayer are bogus.  But I could use me some of that "prayer $" about now...

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 11, 2017, 09:23:26 AM
It can be real tough when you find out Faith and prayer are bogus.  But I could use me some of that "prayer $" about now...

Buddha says ... save yourselves ... and don't send me any money.  Japanese Buddhist say ... if you meet the Buddha along the way, kill him!  We are what we are, as the sum of the good and bad experiences we have had.  Of course everyone starts out, lives, and dies as a unique being.  Actually faith and prayer do work, even the bogus kind.  You simply don't know how to appreciate the bogus ... yet.

Yes, growing up, if you started out Catholic, and end up non-Catholic ... is hard (so I have observed in others).  I expect the same with people who have moved on from Islam.  First you escape the Middle Ages into Tomorrowland ... but once there for awhile, you find out the future isn't what you hoped it would be.  There is no rest for the wicked, and we are all wicked.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne