News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

The Conjuring 2: Little girl is wack and deceives everybody 3/10

Pretty much what you'd expect from a "scary" movie. Jump scares. Demons and shit, sprinkled with the odd gore crap. Not the psychological thriller it is made out to be.

Baruch

Dr Strange is interesting.  Old comic book hero ... and there was a pilot for a TV series back in the 80s "The Shadow", similar idea.  I like anything Cumberbatch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I can wait for movies to show up on cable.  But I might make an exception for Dr Strange 

To the tune of Frer Jacque, with children singing slow and discordantly:

Dr Strange, Dr Strange
Dormammu, Dormammu
Mindless Ones are coming.
Mindless Ones are coming.
Where are you
Where are you?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ms Peregrine's School For Peculiar Children ... was an enjoyable romp in Halloween themes ... not for little children.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

The Nice Guys. It's funny and full of clever references. It's good.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 15, 2016, 06:02:05 AM
The Nice Guys. It's funny and full of clever references. It's good.

I didn't think I would like it because there have been droves of "cop buddy" movies that went from bad to really bad.  Nice Guys was the first one I really liked.  I don't know if it's widely recognized, but I've heard the term, cop buddy, to describe the genre by at least one reviewer.  I saw it at the theater, and then rented it when it came out.

Munch

Not latest movie i've seen, but a sneek peek at one up coming:

[spoiler]

EEEEEEEEEP!! BABY GROOT!!! :D!!!!![/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Seen it before, but it's been a long time, and for the first time it's going to be hosted by local late night movie host legend Fritz the Night Owl: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  Haven't seen it in a theater in more than 20 years, and having it hosted by Fritz is just the icing on the cake.

I'm taking Evil Twin and Mrs. Evil Twin.  And their kids, who haven't seen it in a theater yet.  They are awesome parents.  :D

Meanwhile, as a county children services employee, I should probably not be as amused as I am about the prospect of taking two teenaged "virgins" to the movies... although I know which of my cow-orkers would be amused by that, and which would not
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Waiting for Dr Strange.  I really want to see how they depict magical spells, because unlike in those silly Harry Potter movies there was nothing to see.  But in the Dr Strange comics, they were VERY visual. 

I recall one one graphic picture from the 80s where Dormammu broke through one magical shield in a series of smaller circles til there ws almost none left.  But a little is not none.

Hey, I can enjoy fiction...

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 01:48:33 AM
Waiting for Dr Strange.  I really want to see how they depict magical spells, because unlike in those silly Harry Potter movies there was nothing to see.  But in the Dr Strange comics, they were VERY visual. 

I recall one one graphic picture from the 80s where Dormammu broke through one magical shield in a series of smaller circles til there ws almost none left.  But a little is not none.

Hey, I can enjoy fiction...

The Dr. Strange trailers I've seen don't tell me much.  He walks through an electrically charged portal, and then just stands there marveling how he's in a different place.  Don't get me wrong, I love walking through portals more than just about anything, but there is still evil that must be confronted.  Looking forward to the movie.

Cavebear

I recall the original Marvel comics where Dr Strange was a drunk doctor lost in an alley when The Ancient One found him and realized he had "talents".  I doubt they will go back to THAT.

But mystical spells will be interesting to see depicted. Probably just glowing stuff, but I have hopes.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 10:03:53 AM
I recall the original Marvel comics where Dr Strange was a drunk doctor lost in an alley when The Ancient One found him and realized he had "talents".  I doubt they will go back to THAT.

But mystical spells will be interesting to see depicted. Probably just glowing stuff, but I have hopes.
And Benedict Cumberbatch, which is a Very Good Thing.

I'm thinking about going to see it, although I'm rather more likely to wait for the DVD.  Wonder how much Ditko they'll try to channel in the effects...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Inferno 2/10

OMG!  What a dog that was.  I should've read the reviews before I went to see it, but I thought, "Tom Hanks?  With Ron Howard directing?  That's got to have something going for it."  I didn't walk out of the theater, but I should have.  It was boring and often incoherent.  Don't waste your money on this one.

Cavebear

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 12:59:15 AM
Epidemics movies are boring...

That was just a small part of the failure.  It just didn't hang together, and the characters weren't believable.  Not the actor's fault.  They were poorly constructed and did unrealistic things.  I experienced a lot of WTF?? and Yeah, right! during the movie.