News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anything is possible if you just believe

Started by TomFoolery, June 30, 2015, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

It started with one of those stupid posters on the wall back in high school about dreaming big and achieving big and anything being possible. I've had this discussion with many people before and the consensus is that I'm just a negative Nancy, but then it occurred to me that I frequently have this discussion with people who have faith in a higher power.

So I'll ask the community:

Do you believe that with hard work and determination (and maybe a little luck) that you can achieve anything?

I'll instantly say I'm referring to things that are physically possible, so obviously no matter how hard I wish it, I will never be a unicorn.

Also, do you think that religion makes people more susceptible to the power of positive thinking?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

No, I don't believe that.  We are born with the potential for doing many, many things, but that potential is of varying degrees.  One of the tasks we face is to figure out what those talents are and how to apply them in directions we want to go.  Or think we want to go.  But I don't want to downplay determination, either.  I've heard many successful people who tell us to keep at it.  If it is something we love, that really fires us up, then go all out.  Just today, I heard a professional (and famous) musician telling a reporter to not let anybody dictate to you what your talent is.  Just keep at it and sooner or later you will find that your talent works.  I think that is right.  But the key is to have determination and a talent for what you are determined about.  Not everybody can be the starting QB of the Green Bay Packers, I don't care how determined you are; you have to have a certain level of talent, as well.  But you will never know if you have it or not if you don't go for it.  And I think the spinoff of doing that--going for it--will produce avenues open to you that you had not considered before.  I remember in high school I wanted to be a pro football player.  I made the HS team, but not at the position I thought I wanted to play--pass receiver.  I tried, but I was too small and not fast enough.  I had a teammate who was really built--perfect for catching a pass--lean and muscled.  And he had 'soft hands' and go get the ball.  But he heard footsteps and just did not really care if he played or not.  Many I was very envious of that guy.  I  was 5'10 and 125 lbs--hardly what was needed there.  But because I put my all into making that team and at any position I could--receiver just was not in the cards.  But as it turned out, I was quick enough and stupid enough to put myself into harms way, that the coach tried me at middle linebacker and  it clicked.  And I loved it--played it for two years.  I would not have found that position if I had not been determined to play.  Sometimes our talents will takes to places we did not dream of and other times our talents (or lack thereof) will let us down very early.  But don't give up.  Something will turn up.  And failure often leads to success, if one keeps ones eyes open and don't give up.

I see religion as a downer.  It is built on a false premise.  It teaches us that we are limited and that an outside force has to intercede for us to succeed.  Seems to me religions are built to keep the sheeple happy with whatever that religion tells them they should be happy with.  Religion generally holds us back.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

All things are possible with gawd? Ohhh really?  Let's test that theory. .How about a field mouse with elephant testicles and lions teeth and wings of a condor that can fly just like a hummingbird..

I don't think so. . NEXT!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 30, 2015, 01:34:02 PM
It started with one of those stupid posters on the wall back in high school about dreaming big and achieving big and anything being possible. I've had this discussion with many people before and the consensus is that I'm just a negative Nancy, but then it occurred to me that I frequently have this discussion with people who have faith in a higher power.

So I'll ask the community:

Do you believe that with hard work and determination (and maybe a little luck) that you can achieve anything?

I'll instantly say I'm referring to things that are physically possible, so obviously no matter how hard I wish it, I will never be a unicorn.

Also, do you think that religion makes people more susceptible to the power of positive thinking?

We all have limitations, and not everyone can be an astronaut or a super model, but I believe people should pursue their interests and passions, if only as a hobby. I'm never going to be a famous author but that shouldn't prevent me from writing. I'm genetically never going to be a bodybuilder but I entered a local competition anyway and was better for the effort. I'm a big fan of setting achievable goals. Hard work and determination might not take you exactly where you want to be but I believe it will usually leave you in a better place than you were.

As far as religion and the power of positive thinking, I don't know. I assume it depends on the individual and the religion. Religion can inspire but it can also put up road blocks, particularly for women.

Sal1981

Well, beyond what provisional restrictions there are, there isn't a whole lot that any amount of positive thinking will do, actions count in the real world. Again, unless I take drastic measure, e.g. I ain't gonna grow another 20 centimeters, I have to be realistic of what is possible firstmost, and secondly of what I'm able to achieve with the body I have and the environment I'm in. Sure, there are a lot of possibilities of what I can achieve, but anything? I'm not so optimistic.

Positive thinking to me seems like another word-play that prayer also gets.

Oh, definitely. The same level of crap of The Secret gets.