Any Thoughts or Consolation for the Opposition?

Started by Aletheia, June 27, 2015, 06:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdlr110

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 28, 2015, 11:38:09 PM
I don't think any church will be forced to marry anybody they don't want to--and that includes gays.  A gay couple can always get a civil marriage. 

That may be.  However,  unbelievable as it may sound,  there are gays that want a church wedding. They may now feel that based on this decision,  they have that right.  Some will want it because they always have.  A minority few will want it as a "fuck you" to the church - either way,  get your popcorn,  this should be good!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Hydra009

Quote from: hrdlr110 on June 28, 2015, 11:57:38 PMThat may be.  However,  unbelievable as it may sound,  there are gays that want a church wedding.
And they'd likely get it.  There are a few denominations that'd do it, and that's bound to increase as more Americans have come to accept homosexuality in recent years.  No arm-twisting necessary.

SGOS

A wedding in a Church is a extremely popular ritual.  Atheists are the notable exception, but I suspect most gays are not atheists.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on June 29, 2015, 06:50:05 AM
A wedding in a Church is a extremely popular ritual.  Atheists are the notable exception, but I suspect most gays are not atheists.

I would think that many gays don't attend churches that hate them.

There are quite a few non-denominational churches that openly accept homosexual members. There are more liberal denominations (unitarian universalists and humanists aren't Christian and barely qualify as religious) and more liberal individuals within more conservative churches. There was a Methodist pastor disciplined for officiating the wedding of his gay son.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: hrdlr110 on June 28, 2015, 11:57:38 PM
That may be.  However,  unbelievable as it may sound,  there are gays that want a church wedding. They may now feel that based on this decision,  they have that right.  Some will want it because they always have.  A minority few will want it as a "fuck you" to the church - either way,  get your popcorn,  this should be good!
Don't bother with the popcorn.  This will be a non-show.  Why?  Because there are plenty of churches in any state that will marry a gay couple.  UU will preform them, Unity will do likewise.  And I'm sure there are other denominations that will do the same. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 29, 2015, 08:50:52 AM
I would think that many gays don't attend churches that hate them. 

That would make sense logically, but it may be problematic for say a gay person born and raised, for example, as a Catholic.  Throwing off the religious indoctrination is not that easy, and many religions teach it a sin to convert to something else.  I could see a gay Catholic wanting to be married in the Church of his birthright.

When I look about the forum, I see gay atheists, but how typical is this sample of the gay community?  I have no idea.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on June 29, 2015, 10:38:27 AM
That would make sense logically, but it may be problematic for say a gay person born and raised, for example, as a Catholic.  Throwing off the religious indoctrination is not that easy, and many religions teach it a sin to convert to something else.  I could see a gay Catholic wanting to be married in the Church of his birthright.

But much like the Methodist minister, I imagine there are at least a few progressive Catholic priests who would marry homosexuals if one looks hard enough.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?