US Supreme Court: Gay marriage legal nationwide!!!

Started by Atheon, June 26, 2015, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on June 28, 2015, 10:35:20 AM
Does this mean I could marry a Mermaid if we wanted to get married?  :eek:  :flowers: :biggrin2:

you can marry a merman!

And he'll be all like "Heeey guuuuurl!!"
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

_Xenu_

Quote from: Mermaid on June 28, 2015, 10:27:14 AM
Hm. That's taking an awful lot for granted. If the SCOTUS were stacked just slightly differently, the outcome could have easily been very different.
Even if the Supreme Court had ruled the other way, against all odds, it would not have changed anything in the long run. Public opinion in this area is overwhelming. There hasn't really been a question of whether same sex marriage should be legal in quite some time, the only variable was when it would happen.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SGOS

An article I read this morning, made a case that as the Supreme Court moves left or right, it tends to invite more cases from the corresponding political side that it would seem to favor.  The court, as political as it is, is slightly more judicial in nature than congress, and tends to process information somewhat more logically, tending to make the Court look the opposite of what it is presumed to be by the populace.

Currently, with a right leaning court, the anti gay crowd feels like they would more likely be favored, and are more likely to present a case which they would not if the Court were skewed the other way.  In the case of gay marriage, the case was also brought to the court in kind of last ditch panic, with flimsy arguments to boot.  So the Court tends to be viewed (by some) as left leaning.

In an ideal American democracy, the Court would be completely unbiased, apolitical, and driven only by constitutional interpretation.  But the political parties have assured that this will not be the case, because nothing can escape their insidious grasp and remain pure.  It was interesting observation.  I'm not sure if the author did a slam dunk, but it's probably about right.  Unfortunately, while I found it interesting, I'm not sure the observation leads to anything that might improve the situation.

Mermaid

Quote from: _Xenu_ on June 28, 2015, 11:07:27 AM
Even if the Supreme Court had ruled the other way, against all odds, it would not have changed anything in the long run. Public opinion in this area is overwhelming. There hasn't really been a question of whether same sex marriage should be legal in quite some time, the only variable was when it would happen.
It would have taken years for all states to get on board. Meanwhile, all of those people would have been denied their basic civil right. I am grateful for this monumental event.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Ace101

I wonder how long before Yahweh sends the hurricanes

Atheon

Even after almost three days, Im still relishing the reactions on the right!

Mike Huckabee is crying!
Ted Cruz is crying!
Glenn Beck is crying!
Rush Limbaugh is crying!
Tony Perkins is crying!
Antonin Scalia is crying!
Roy Moore is crying!
The Mormon Church is crying!
The Scientologists are crying!
The GOP is crying!
The fundies are crying!

Still!!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

the_antithesis

So the gays have the right to marry now. How long before they realize what a horrible idea marriage is the way we straight people have?

Enjoy divorce.

Ace101

Quote from: Atheon on June 28, 2015, 04:29:18 PM
The Scientologists are crying? I'm aware that Hubbard didn't like gays, but I wasn't aware that the modern Scientology church cared much about gay marriage one way or the other - I thought they were pretty apolitical and pretty much just about money.

Supposedly one branch donated money in favor of Prop 8 several years ago, but that's the only thing I've heard about Scientology being anti-gay.

Atheon

The official church of Scientology is viciously anti-gay. There are some splinter groups (which main church HATES) that support gay rights.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Ace101

Quote from: Atheon on June 28, 2015, 04:49:55 PM
The official church of Scientology is viciously anti-gay. There are some splinter groups (which main church HATES) that support gay rights.
I don't know much about Scientology - I saw an apologist website which is apparently trying to downplay Hubbard's view on gays, saying that they were just a product of the culture of his era rather than an official stance on gays.

Though I've heard some ex-members claim they were mistreated by church members for being gay, and that at one point the church practiced gay conversion therapy.

Johan

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 28, 2015, 04:33:49 PM
So the gays have the right to marry now. How long before they realize what a horrible idea marriage is the way we straight people have?

Enjoy divorce.
Yeah this was one my thoughts on it as well. This will ultimately be a win for divorce attorneys because more marriage inevitably and unfortunately also means more divorce.  Also a win for wedding planners, florists, DJ's/wedding musicians, jewelers, bakers (the smart ...er I mean gay friendly ones at least) and caterers. And of course Hallmark will most certainly find a way to cash in.

One thing I haven't yet seen talked about is common law marriage. What impact if any will this ruling have on that? Not many states recognize common law marriage these days. But those that do could conceivably see an immediate spike in common law marriage issues.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Atheon on June 28, 2015, 04:29:18 PM
Even after almost three days, Im still relishing the reactions on the right!

Mike Huckabee is crying!
Ted Cruz is crying!
Glenn Beck is crying!
Rush Limbaugh is crying!
Tony Perkins is crying!
Antonin Scalia is crying!
Roy Moore is crying!
The Mormon Church is crying!
The GOP is crying!
The fundies are crying!

Still!!

Really?  :biggrin: Do we have a record of anyone crying?

Between what is going on here and there I am afraid I have become evil.  :sad2:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

After the rainbows all over Facebook now I am getting the inevitable backlash with "Marriage is one man and one woman" and a flood of religious posts. This was one of the more polite ones, posted by a coworker.

Mermaid

oh for fucks sake. I am happy to say I have not seen this yet. I know I have several conservative Facebook friends, though.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR