US Supreme Court: Gay marriage legal nationwide!!!

Started by Atheon, June 26, 2015, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Libertarians have only been working toward this for 4 decades, and Democrats have only been working toward this for 1 decade.

Had this happened when WE started working on it, Conservative AND Liberal heads would have exploded.

Thank you for catching up with us.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mermaid

It's about time. This is a really good day. A really, really good day.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

trdsf

Quote from: Mermaid on June 26, 2015, 07:53:09 PM
My favorite comment so far was Rush Limbaugh blaming George Takei for this.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rush-limbaugh-blames-mr-sulu-for-marriage-equality-decision/
Brilliant.  Call out someone not only smarter and better spoken, but likely to consider it a compliment.  I can't wait for Takei's reply.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

SGOS

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/bitter-dissents-in-gay-marriage-case-lays-bare-122528649891.html

In his dissenting opinion Clarence Thomas writes:

QuoteJustice Clarence Thomas objects to the majority’s characterization of marriage as ennobling. “I am unsure what that means,” he wrote. “People may choose to marry or not to marry. The decision to do so does not make one person more ‘noble’ than another.”

But would you suppose Justice Thomas believes heterosexual marriage is not more ennobling than gay marriage?  I doubt it.  And if it's not, then what were the conservatives snorting about all this time?  It seems to me their most common reason to oppose gay marriage was that gay marriage made heterosexual marriage less noble.

If conservatives had won the decision, I could see their majority opinion flapping endlessly about preserving the ennobling sanctity of God's plan for holy matrimony.  And that sounds pretty fucking high, mighty, and ennobling to me.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on June 26, 2015, 09:38:54 PM
But would you suppose Justice Thomas believes heterosexual marriage is not more ennobling than gay marriage?  I doubt it.  And if it's not, then what were the conservatives snorting about all this time?  It seems to me their most common reason to oppose gay marriage was that gay marriage made heterosexual marriage less noble.

His entire dissent is more ignorant (albeit more carefully penned) than most troll comments on Yahoo! news stories.

The sheer fact that he asserts that governments can not take away dignity makes it horrifying that he's a Supreme Court justice. Telling people they're allowed to have negative emotions after doing shitty things to them does not excuse the doing of those shitty things, as his argument would lead you to believe.

Like, no shit, people certainly have the right to feel any way they want to about injustice. This isn't 1984 and there we have no thought police. No one argues that. But his argument stops there, as if that somehow is the crux of the issue and not the legal standing of gay marriage.

I sincerely hope his colleagues asked him if he understood the assignment. He would have almost done better to turn in a rendering of a turkey crafted from tracing his hand on wrinkled construction paper.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Draconic Aiur

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 10:47:23 PM
His entire dissent is more ignorant (albeit more carefully penned) than most troll comments on Yahoo! news stories. 

I think what may have pissed him off was that Justice Kennedy's comment about ennobling, whether it was germane to the mechanics of constitutional interpretation or not, stole the conservative thunder, and perhaps even without intending, redirected it back at the opposition's bigotry.  I'm not a Supreme Court Justice, but it seemed like an appropriate comment in the majority opinion to me, because it was clearly a major part of the issue.  If it wasn't, then the opposition wouldn't have made it an issue in the first place, but without that issue, the conservative argument would be limited to reasoning like, "You can't do that, because you just can't,"  or "That's not what marriage is, because that's not what it is supposed to be."  From the very beginning, the opposition's logic was pretty much just that hollow.

Atheon

Quote from: Shiranu on June 26, 2015, 04:46:58 PM
Almost broke into tears at work, was hard to stay composed till I got to my car. Actually still kinda hard...

My facebook exploded with several people who would not shut up about, "How DAAAAAARE YOU celebrate this!".

To quote one genius...

"You fucking pricks, while you are out celebrating cock sucking ISIS killed 29 people. Go fuck yourself."
Now you know who to unfriend. I don't tolerate such crap on my Facebook wall.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Savior2006 on June 26, 2015, 05:25:16 PMIt's been a good day. I literally am getting off right now to all the typical conservative whining.
Literally?  o_O

GSOgymrat

Nice to know that my marriage doesn't cease to exist when I cross the state line.

Atheon

Sweet Schadenfreude, more like Schokoladenfreude ... sweet as a fine chocolate!

Check out the lamentations on this site:

http://www.conservativesforum.com/cgi-bin/conservatives-forum/YaBB.pl?num=1435327817/40

Loving it!!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

the_antithesis

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on June 26, 2015, 07:46:09 PM
Libertarians have only been working toward this for 4 decades, and Democrats have only been working toward this for 1 decade.

So democrats are four times more effective than libertarians?