Stephen Jay Gould was wrong and why science and religion are incompatible.

Started by Sal1981, June 20, 2015, 08:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/05/150531-religion-science-faith-healing-atheism-people-ngbooktalk/

This is a fine article, a book interview with Jerry Coyne, an evolutionary geneticist, who smacks down on not only Gould (the non-overlapping magisteria debacle of science and religion), but also why religion is not only wrong, but harmful as well. Oh, and there's a vid with Neil deGrasse Tyson as well.

Solitary

I've respected Gould for his intelligence, but he is so obviously wrong on this one. On a side note: It mentions the Quakers.  It is not well known that atheist are accepted by them, in fact, even have atheist sects. My sister was an atheist and Quaker.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on June 20, 2015, 09:55:57 AM
I've respected Gould for his intelligence, but he is so obviously wrong on this one. On a side note: It mentions the Quakers.  It is not well known that atheist are accepted by them, in fact, even have atheist sects. My sister was an atheist and Quaker.
I had no idea!  Thanks for the info, Sol.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

Your welcome, when my brain actually works I'm a fountain of knowledge. :pidu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Solitary on June 20, 2015, 09:55:57 AM

Back in the day when I was still questioning my religious beliefs, a friend sent me a link to the Belief-O-Matic. http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

My top-matched result was Quaker, and I was all like... Da fuq?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 20, 2015, 11:42:13 AM
Back in the day when I was still questioning my religious beliefs, a friend sent me a link to the Belief-O-Matic. http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

My top-matched result was Quaker, and I was all like... Da fuq?
Took it again.  I don't remember what I had scored before since it was awhile ago.  But now, Unitarian Universalist--atheist--Liberal Quaker.  Everything else 60/70 points away.  My lowest was Hindu, Roman Catholic and Seventh-Day Adventists. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Savior2006

I got Secular Humanism. Highest runner ups were UU, Atheism, and Liberal Quakers.

Zeroes included Islam, 7th Day Adventists, Jehovah Witnesses, Catholic, Orthodox Judiasm, Eastern Orthodox, and basically anything else with religious dogma that I don't care about.

I find myself becoming a little on the fence on abortion, as opposed to the totally pro-choice view. But yeah, what the hell ever.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano