News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eye for an eye

Started by TomFoolery, June 19, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

I've seen several debates on social media lately that discuss heinous crimes and time and again, mob rule seems to support eye for an eye justice.

I don't understand. I guess I can understand people want retribution, though our "Christian nation" talks about turning the other cheek but let's be real, we have the largest prison population of any Western country so ha ha. Anyway, has anyone ever stopped to think about the logistics of an eye for an eye justice system?

Like, all rapists should be violently sodomized. Ok. Who does the sodomizing? State governments would then have to put ads in the paper that went to the tune of:

Seeking sadists for part-time work. One year experience and bilingual preferred. Must be willing to inflict pain and degradation without prejudice. Must be able to pass drug screen. Equal opportunity employer.

Who exactly would respond to those ads? My money would be on the same people we would be seeking to punish, but those who were fortunate enough to avoid prosecution.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 19, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

Who exactly would respond to those ads? My money would be on the same people we would be seeking to punish, but those who were fortunate enough to avoid prosecution.
Limbaugh?  Hanity? No.....no...........I know--O'Riley! 

Or Cheney--he has a huge resume assembled already!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

" Hatred is blind, as well as love." "In the country of the Bind, the one-eyed man is King." An eye for an eye philosophy leaves everyone blind.  "There's none so blind as those that won't see." Our prisons are filled mostly with people that haven't actually hurt anyone, but are there for bigotry, hatred, prejudice, and retribution called justice. There is no such thing as justice, only injustice.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

I have no problem with the "eye to eye" idea if it is done right.

There are several issues. One of course is the horrendous idea that privatizing the prison system is a "good" idea, what the fuck is smart about giving people incentives to keep people in jail? The same goes for trying to reach some level of "rehabilitation" from the same people getting paid to keep them in. It's a horrendous idea.

At the same time, really, truthfully, in my opinion, society does not need or want humans who want to kill other humans. This is something that is very very hard to "fix". I have no problem with the death penalty. The problem is the justice system that allows wiggly piggly evidence to be used to sentence people to death. The death penalty should be allowed when there is no question at all, in any way shape or form. The argument that the death penalty does not deter could once again come into play if these two fucks in New York whack someone else.

With a harder to get death sentence and by that I mean an absolutely for sure it did it, not some bullshit probability math question, we can get rid of the animals with clear conscience. Secondly, proving absolutely kinda takes some of the steam away from lengthy appeals.

Prove it did it. 100% Get rid of it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

TomFoolery

I think the death penalty and eye for an eye are really different. It's one thing to stab your wife and lover to death with kitchen scissors in a fit of rage and get a lethal injection, and it's another to to stab your wife and lover to death with kitchen scissors and get stabbed to death with kitchen scissors yourself.

I get people's level of outrage at certain heinous crimes. A parent whose child is raped and murdered wants the person who did it to suffer. Of course. But when it comes down to it, what does it say about society that we think justice is best served by sodomizing another human being (even if it is a child rapist) with a broom handle until they die from a perforated colon and subsequent infection?

The death penalty is a highly debatable issue. I get it. We can argue over what the most humane way to kill a person is (or if there even is a way) but I think we can all agree there are endless inhumane ways to kill someone. And what it comes down to for me is that in the application of the death penalty, we should be required to do our best to treat the condemned humanely and with dignity, even if not to preserve their humanity, but our own.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Draconic Aiur

It's called the Hammurabi Code.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 19, 2015, 03:33:20 PMSeeking sadists for part-time work. One year experience and bilingual preferred. Must be willing to inflict pain and degradation without prejudice. Must be able to pass drug screen. Equal opportunity employer.
So in other words, the D-class personnel of the SCP Foundation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

I look at this way:  what good is served by another one-eyed man?  How does that help anyone?

I'd rather rehabilitate those who can be rehabilitated and lock up those who can't than to pointlessly brutalize a convict.  Apparently, that's a soft-hearted and "radical" opinion in the US these days.

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 19, 2015, 03:33:20 PMLike, all rapists should be violently sodomized. Ok. Who does the sodomizing? State governments would then have to put ads in the paper that went to the tune of:

Seeking sadists for part-time work. One year experience and bilingual preferred. Must be willing to inflict pain and degradation without prejudice. Must be able to pass drug screen. Equal opportunity employer.

Who exactly would respond to those ads?
Former Gitmo workers, probably.