Malaysian mountain god, angered by nudists, kills

Started by Atheon, June 12, 2015, 01:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

A Malaysian mountain god, angered by a group of foreigners who stripped naked, causes earthquake that kills innocent people.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/4-Westerners-plead-guilty-to-posing-naked-on-6323030.php
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

I always assumed other countries were less prudish about nudity.  I guess that's wrong.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2015, 01:25:43 PM
I always assumed other countries were less prudish about nudity.  I guess that's wrong.

Some European countries are, I guess. But generally the world? No. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gerard

I can't help wondering what a mountain god is doing in an Islamic country. From what I've read Sabah's animists have been, let's say, 'very actively' converted to Islam by the local government in the last few decades. And now that same government is worried about a disgruntled mountain god?

Gerard

Munch

I got in an argument with my mum about this. She felt that its okay for them to be arrested, because, as she described it, having foreigners coming to someone elses country and getting naked on a sacred site, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with such public indecency, which okay I agree with. But when the fact they are being accused of the murder of people because of an earthquake, that is just towing the line.

Her argument was that because its sacred in someone elses land, foreigners shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, but the fact that the case shifted from being a public indecency act, to lumping multiple deaths of people on them based on voodoo and happenstance is just to much.

The simple fact is, yes, if you go to another country and do something stupid, then you should be given sentence for it. But accusing someone of the deaths of so many people because of chance is just disgusting, and as an atheist, seeing law bent around religion like this is vile.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2015, 01:25:43 PM
Not in Asia... oh boy, not here in Asia. Far more prudish than any other continent, even Africa. In fact, I can't think of a single Asian country that isn't prudish about nudity. Nude beaches and nudist areas exist but are very rare. There are nude hot springs in Taiwan and Japan, but they're segregated by sex. (Asia also remains the only continent without legal gay marriage. Only two countries show any promise in this area: Taiwan and Nepal.)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on June 12, 2015, 02:30:09 PM
I got in an argument with my mum about this. She felt that its okay for them to be arrested, because, as she described it, having foreigners coming to someone elses country and getting naked on a sacred site, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with such public indecency, which okay I agree with.

Agreed.

QuoteBut when the fact they are being accused of the murder of people because of an earthquake, that is just towing the line.

Agreed.

But how to seperate the cause from the effect? Can it be done? 

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 12, 2015, 02:46:44 PM

I'd bloody well hope so. Have them stand accused of stripping, but somethings got to be done in the 'believed' mass killing case.

If these assholes want to use that, then accuse their 'god' of being the one who killed these people, stand their imaginary entity on trial of mass killing.

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on June 12, 2015, 02:37:35 PMNot in Asia... oh boy, not here in Asia. Far more prudish than any other continent, even Africa. In fact, I can't think of a single Asian country that isn't prudish about nudity. Nude beaches and nudist areas exist but are very rare. There are nude hot springs in Taiwan and Japan, but they're segregated by sex. (Asia also remains the only continent without legal gay marriage. Only two countries show any promise in this area: Taiwan and Nepal.)
Yeah, I don't understand why it is that way.  I figured that without the Abrahamic demonization of nudity, people would be more tolerant of nudity.  It's strange how nearly universal a taboo this is.

I mean, if you grew up on another planet and then visited Earth, would being deeply offended by nudity be a natural reaction?

Gerard

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 12, 2015, 02:46:44 PM
Agreed.

Agreed.

Well, basically they haven't been accused of causing the earthquake by the courts. Malaysia isn't that backward. However on another note, being able to separate the cause and effect is not the issue. Being able to combine them is.

Gerard

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on June 12, 2015, 02:50:04 PM
I'd bloody well hope so. Have them stand accused of stripping, but somethings got to be done in the 'believed' mass killing case.

If these assholes want to use that, then accuse their 'god' of being the one who killed these people, stand their imaginary entity on trial of mass killing.

Yeah, agreed. But as you know, 'if we could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people'. :sad2:

I hope they need to do something to save those people. Sigh.

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 12, 2015, 02:54:39 PM
Yeah, agreed. But as you know, 'if we could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people'. :sad2:

I hope they need to do something to save those people. Sigh.

Well lets hope as Gerard said, this won't be the case and the only thing they are changed with is public indecency

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gerard on June 12, 2015, 02:54:16 PM
Well, basically they haven't been accused of causing the earthquake by the courts. Malaysia isn't that backward. However on another note, being able to separate the cause and effect is not the issue. Being able to combine them is.

Gerard

Hey, Gerard.

That's a bad explanation I made up there. I meant that generally, if we accept a first condition -like Munch's mother presented- then how do we ignore the result that comes with it? Because that's why it is happening doesn't matter what the result or the official trial is.

However, that's good news.

Gerard

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 12, 2015, 03:01:02 PM
Hey, Gerard.

That's a bad explanation I made up there. I meant that generally, if we accept a first condition -like Munch's mother presented- then how do we ignore the result that comes with it? Because that's why it is happening doesn't matter what the result or the official trial is.

However, that's good news.

Ah.... I see.

The outcome of the trial was time served (three days) and a fine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-33105999

The article said they were jailed, while in fact they were let go.....

Gerard