Christian couple threaten to divorce in protest against same-sex marriage

Started by Munch, June 10, 2015, 05:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcinzmfZeCc

Ooooh you crazy Christians..

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/10/christian-couple-threaten-to-divorce-in-protest-over-same-sex-marriage/

QuoteAustralian Nick Jensen says that if same-sex marriage is introduced, he and his wife will divorce.
Writing in the Canberra CityNews, Mr Jensen says he will continue to live with his wife, Sarah, and their children â€" and they will still consider themselves married. But they will no longer be legally married.
He wrote: “Marriage is the union of a man and a woman before a community in the sight of God. And marriage of any couple is important to God regardless of whether that couple recognises God’s involvement or authority in it.
“If our federal parliament votes to change the timeless and organic definition of marriage later on this year, it will have moved against the fundamental and foundational building block of Australian society and, indeed, human culture everywhere.
“Indeed, it raises a red flag when a government decides it is not content only having sovereignty over land, taxes and the military â€" but ‘words’ themselves.
“This is why we are willing to divorce. By changing the definition of marriage, ‘marriage’ will, in years to come, have an altogether different sense and purpose.”
Mr Jensen works for the American Christian Lobby, who campaign against same-sex marriage.
Canberra CityNews has faced a backlash from Facebook fans for publishing Mr Jensen’s article â€" with many saying the magazine should be “ashamed” to give such few views a platform.
One reader said: “What a stupid article, you may as well have written about how two crazy people still believe the world is flat. Geez. Homophobic propaganda.”
Editor Ian Meikle told news.com.au: “The article does not reflect the opinion of the paper. It’s an unusual love story, and what would life be if people didn’t have different ways of life.”
In the ongoing debate on same-sex marriage in Australia, the first National MP said yesterday he would vote in favour.

Does my heart good knowing the effect gay marriage has on people.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Well, at least the politicians aren't affected by this ridiculous, whatever, sort of tactic this is supposed to incur.

Mr.Obvious

My response to the couple: So...?
That is literally the most retarded threat I've ever seen. At least if you were to threaten that if, say evolution was taught in class you'd start homeschooling your children; there is an actual threat. Because you threaten to deny a child the right to a decent education; a child that's not old enough to decide what's best for him/her would be put at a disadvantage.
But these are two adults making a decission that only afflicts these two adults. And I'm not even going to sink to making a joke about them clearly being to infantile to decide for themselves. Two adults that would choose to end their marriage, and only that. How is that a threat? What are you threatening? That you'll exercise your right to make your own decissions and throw away any protections as well as any disadvantages associated with marriage as an institution? This isn't a threat?! It's retarded. It's like saying; if congress doesn't accept pizza as a vegetable, we'll stop having pizza-Friday as a couple. Big fucking whoop.

Btw, lashing out against the magazine seems silly to me. This article, though probably true, is just a joke and should be treated with amused and bewildered ridicule. I'm glad they voiced this couple.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

hrdlr110

Emfuckingbarassing to be ozzie! (I'm not,  but live here) Sounds like something right out of middle America!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

drunkenshoe

I hope this catches on, because that means they won't BREED purposefully!  If we think most of the baby booming falls on the religious groups, it could do amazing things for the world!

We should get out and hoot for these couple, pat them in the back and make it spread with fake "If you are against gay marriage, you should divorce! God wants you to divoce" signs.

:rotflmao:

Fucking bigots. No end to their bullshit.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

hrdlr110

Emfuckingbarassing to be ozzie! (I'm not,  but live here) Sounds like something right out of middle America!  Of course they won't be taken seriously so really it's more laughable i suppose.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

Atheon

"If gays marry, it'll bugger up bloke-sheila marriage, and by crikey I'm going to make it happen, mate! Fair dinkum!"
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Getting divorced over gay marriage?  It seems like there could be more dramatic sacrifices that call attention to their plight.  Sure, you lose the economic and legal benefits of marriage, but you will probably end up in lower tax brackets.  I know heterosexuals in the states that don't get married because they pay less taxes being single. 

Yeah, the concept of marriage being between a man and a woman is a fine tradition, I suppose.  But 200 years ago owning slaves was also a fine tradition.  Tradition is not necessarily a good defense for traditions.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Atheon on June 10, 2015, 07:07:40 AM
"If gays marry, it'll bugger up bloke-sheila marriage, and by crikey I'm going to make it happen, mate! Fair dinkum!"

Totally had it right until you put the "by" in front of the "crikey".

hrdlr110

Quote from: hrdlr110 on June 10, 2015, 08:46:35 AM
Totally had it right until you put the "by" in front of the "crikey".

Yeah,  good point!  I can picture it now, the two of them sitting in the living room after. ...He: "so it's final,  we're divorced?" She: "Yep" he: "ok,  now what?" *Cue the crickets

hrdlr110

Meant to quote sgos with my last post,  can y'all sort that out for yourselves? ??

stromboli

Now if we can get every Christian couple everywhere do this and stop having kids.......

Brian37

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

GSOgymrat

This is what annoys me about the internet, particularly social media. Some nobody on the other side of the world says something stupid, someone writes about said stupidity, it trends and then millions of people, like myself, waste their time reading about it because the more stupid, the more outrageous, the more attention it receives. There should just be a daily disclaimer "and in further news, someone, somewhere said something stupid."

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 10, 2015, 12:30:20 PM
This is what annoys me about the internet, particularly social media. Some nobody on the other side of the world says something stupid, someone writes about said stupidity, it trends and then millions of people, like myself, waste their time reading about it because the more stupid, the more outrageous, the more attention it receives. There should just be a daily disclaimer "and in further news, someone, somewhere said something stupid."

I'd more take perspective of these things, and think of it as, well, no matter if I'm having days where I don't feel like the sharpest tool in the toolbox, there are people like this in the world that makes my doubts seem irrelevant.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin