News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Question

Started by PickelledEggs, June 03, 2015, 09:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lategreatplanet

Quote from: trdsf on June 07, 2015, 06:10:23 PM

3) Does not follow from your assumptions, since your input assumptions are both incorrect, as is your assertion that the cause is always greater than the effect -- if that were true, nuclear and thermonuclear bombs could not exist (cause: put two pieces of metal together; effect: obliterate several square miles).
Sand sliding done a 45 degree propped popsicle stick in a sandbox is an effect of gravity, that would give you a clue as to the true cause of a nuclear explosion.
I am who I am" was His responds to a question about His identity.

stromboli

Nobody else has responded to this so I will.

Huh?

Goon

Yea, if there is a creator he evidently doesn't care for his creations. We're just piss in the breeze.
You evolutionists are spoiling our fun!

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on June 09, 2015, 08:20:05 PM
Nobody else has responded to this so I will.

Huh?
Come on Strom.  He is clearly saying not to play with Popsicle sticks in a sand box.  You will cause a nuclear explosion.  See.................. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Lets see....

Simile? Nope.

Metaphor? Nope.

Allegorical? Nope.

Parable? Nope.

Huh?

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on June 09, 2015, 09:29:40 PM
Lets see....

Simile? Nope.

Metaphor? Nope.

Allegorical? Nope.

Parable? Nope.

Huh?
If you only had faith!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

dtq123

I'd like to know who was the third one, or the first one for that matter... Come on, I was brave enough to admit it, you should too!
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Lategreatplanet

Quote from: Lategreatplanet on June 09, 2015, 02:26:24 AM
Sand sliding done a 45 degree propped popsicle stick in a sandbox is an effect of gravity, that would give you a clue as to the true cause of a nuclear explosion.
conversion of mass to energy as in e=mc^2
I am who I am" was His responds to a question about His identity.

Hydra009

Quote from: Lategreatplanet on June 07, 2015, 02:02:33 PMthe cause is always greater than the effect (a fundamental principle of science).
*coughcoughemergencecough*

trdsf

Quote from: Lategreatplanet on June 09, 2015, 02:26:24 AM
Wrong again.  If you're going to play the science card on me, please make sure you know what you're talking about.  I have gone through the mathematics of Special and General Relativity and understand quite well the principles involved.  You're free to question my knowledge, but you'll need to back it up with more than "but this is the definition I made up".

The more correct metaphor you're looking for is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIvHd76EdQ4

And speaking of the cause not having to be greater than the effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yYWILv91YU

In any case, gravity is not the cause.  It is a part of the mechanism (as, in a nuclear chain reaction, the binding energy of the atomic nucleus is), but the cause is the input event -- the single ping-pong ball in the first video, or tipping over the first domino in the second.  In neither case is the cause greater than the effect -- let's see you topple that last domino by pushing on it with the same force that it takes to tip the first one, or get as many ping-pong balls airborne with the same force as launched the single started ball.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Goon on June 09, 2015, 08:51:28 PM
Yea, if there is a creator he evidently doesn't care for his creations. We're just piss in the breeze.
It could be like Sim City. We're just a simulation game that got a little too advanced, but the player doesn't realize we're sentient.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 10, 2015, 11:47:35 AM
It could be like Sim City. We're just a simulation game that got a little too advanced, but the player doesn't realize we're sentient.
We are????

stromboli

drunkenshoe

I voted 'nothing'.

Because simply the idea of a god; any god, gods or deities are all one and it is completely based on human desires apart from the delusion itself. There is not a definition or a description of a god in human history that exists out of that profile. There can't be. Because there is no other narrative for god out of the profile of an absentee landlord. It's human, its as various as humans and its desires.  Therefore there is no such thing as evidence for existence of a creator. It's an invalid statement. It's fantasy of a fantasy. Any evidence anyone would try to imagine as 'what if' would have to be in the limits of describing some sort of a super MAN. Not some unimaginable supreme entity that mortals cannot fathom. Humans only constantly developed the language to describe it, invented imaginary concepts, powers they liked to have- to tell those stories attached to it, but narrative has always been the same. Like children playing make belief. Because gods and religions are functional. It has always, but always been beneficial and profitable. It's trade, its politics. It's a means to desired ends.

Infact, I am going to go further and claim that it's actually impossible to believe in a creator and that actually noone does.

Because god is also a still born concept, because the moment a hominid developed the ability to think and speak;describe any experience he had stepping out that reality he experienced it; voice what's in his mind about a possible creator, imagined stories of it, rather than just feel, love, fear, live and die with it, the idea of god died there at that moment. Because he alienated and seperated himself from that supposed omnipotent nature of that idea of supreme being and its supposed existence. He existed outside of it. He developed the consciousness regarding to his own existence apart from the nature. Process of intelligence. The kind of self awareness and consciousness only one animal on the planet that we know evolved to possess. The cognitive process we developed makes the idea of god impossible. Yes, I said impossible. And no this is not a belief.

If any of you can imagine a god outside the presented category, please come forward explain and then I'll reconsider 'The Question'. However, categories of human narrative doesn't change, because we are just simple animals with simple fixed needs and we don't have any need or use for another category of a god, that's why we invented it this way in the first place . Because there isn't one, there can't be and hence the fantasy needed to be maintained.

So, nothing.

PS I am afraid to count the 'because' I typed. :/ Excuse the bad English. This is very abstract to express in a second language or some first.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

You do better with a second language than many of us do with a first language. Excellent post.  :clap: