Religion And Our Military Leaders

Started by Solitary, June 03, 2015, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: kilodelta on June 03, 2015, 05:20:09 PM
Yeah. The Air Force appears to be the biggest offender of advocating Christianity within their service and while in uniform.

Maybe I was in the Army for too long, but I never went anywhere to any function without the chaplain delivering an invocation. I never fought it or anything: I mostly just bowed my head and thought happy thoughts while everyone else "prayed."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

kilodelta

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 03, 2015, 10:04:42 PM
Maybe I was in the Army for too long, but I never went anywhere to any function without the chaplain delivering an invocation. I never fought it or anything: I mostly just bowed my head and thought happy thoughts while everyone else "prayed."

I haven't seen too many articles on problems with the Army. It's almost always the Air Force. My Marine experience had very limited infringement of religious freedom. The retirement ceremonies I attended had invocations only upon the request of the retiree. Many of those didn't even use military chaplains.

I also went to church in boot camp to avoid being in the squad bay with the DIs on Sundays. I think there should have been another option for recruits to get away from DIs on Sunday morning while those that are actually religious go to their service.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 03, 2015, 10:04:42 PM
Yeah, my Army experience was much the same.  I just bowed my 'no preference' head and stayed quiet.  But I was lucky in the NG unit and the active Army Reserve unit I hooked up with.  We did not have one visit by a chaplain.  That was nice.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: kilodelta on June 03, 2015, 11:10:00 PM
I haven't seen too many articles on problems with the Army. It's almost always the Air Force. My Marine experience had very limited infringement of religious freedom. The retirement ceremonies I attended had invocations only upon the request of the retiree. Many of those didn't even use military chaplains.

I also went to church in boot camp to avoid being in the squad bay with the DIs on Sundays. I think there should have been another option for recruits to get away from DIs on Sunday morning while those that are actually religious go to their service.
Damn--in my boot days, we had not choice.  We could not go to church--hell we could not even go to the dayroom in the barracks next door.  There was a West Coast 'kissing disease' (what the hell, can't remember the name of that disease) scare and so we were confined to barracks except for training and mess hall--full 8 weeks worth.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 03, 2015, 11:15:04 PM
Damn--in my boot days, we had not choice.  We could not go to church--hell we could not even go to the dayroom in the barracks next door.  There was a West Coast 'kissing disease' (what the hell, can't remember the name of that disease) scare and so we were confined to barracks except for training and mess hall--full 8 weeks worth.

Church was the only choice provided to us. Other than that, it was a full training schedule. Sleep was always interrupted by having duty, needing to take a duty or a piss, waking up to change into dry underwear, or by recruits sounding off in their sleep...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 03, 2015, 11:15:04 PM

When I was in basic training, they had to make Sunday morning available for church services (unless you were on a field problem). If you didn't go to church, you had to clean the barracks or do yard work. It's amazing how many people found God (myself included) after that became apparent the first week. I always just went to service and sat in the back and caught up on sleep. Praise the Lord!
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 04, 2015, 08:46:36 AM
When I was in basic training, they had to make Sunday morning available for church services (unless you were on a field problem). If you didn't go to church, you had to clean the barracks or do yard work. It's amazing how many people found God (myself included) after that became apparent the first week. I always just went to service and sat in the back and caught up on sleep. Praise the Lord!
That's what I wish I could have done.  We had no option. 

That was a fun 8 weeks.  Our DI was named Glasscock!  Oh, yeah.  I pitied the 2 guys who snickered when he introduced himself to the platoon.  Plus he was in the middle of a divorce and lived most of the time in the barracks with us.  And my platoon won the 8-ball rock 4 of the 8 weeks, which meant we ate last.  And fun was had by all!