Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Screwed...

Started by wolf39us, May 29, 2015, 04:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

Quote from: wolf39us on May 29, 2015, 04:49:13 PM
So I have some bad news.

After moving to CT and getting pretty comfortable and setting up my new apartment which I'm moving in to tomorrow morning... My new job let me go.

They let me go because I wasn't a good fit.  At no moment did I ever believe I was in danger of being let go.  My teacher stunk and I had to ask questions.  I wasn't as independent as they wanted me to be.

I tried explaining this to them when they came to me Tuesday afternoon.  Thursday morning they fired me :-(

I'm so screwed... I have to wait until next week to apply for unemployment and my girlfriend has yet to find a job.

I don't know what the hell to do!
Sorry to hear that. So you're new at the job and you can't ask questions? Pfffff.... Bad employer!

Gerard

SGOS

Quote from: Gerard on May 31, 2015, 11:01:44 AM
Sorry to hear that. So you're new at the job and you can't ask questions? Pfffff.... Bad employer!
Gerard
Thanks.  I was thinking the same thing, but failed to post it.

Gerard

Quote from: SGOS on May 31, 2015, 11:28:06 AM
Thanks.  I was thinking the same thing, but failed to post it.
That's what neoliberalism will do for us. Take care of employers short-term interests. Make labor cheap and flexible! But unfortunately we can't beat the low-wage countries like that. We need quality production and services, and the knowledge, learning and stability to make that work in order to make our economies competitive. That goes down the drain if we treat the workforce we depend on like shi.... uhhh like Wolf was treated!

Gerard

leo

Wolf I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there , I hope you can find a new job soon enough.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

wolf39us

Comcast guy just came down because I couldn't get my cable TV working.  I told him that I used to work for another cable company and that I also used to be an installer.  He said that Comcast is hiring and he makes like $800-$1,000 a week.  They also provide the truck, ladder, and safety equipment.  He gave me the number to his cell phone, his boss, and Comcast office directly.

He said call, they will give you a job!

SGOS

Quote from: wolf39us on June 01, 2015, 10:07:02 AM
Comcast guy just came down because I couldn't get my cable TV working.  I told him that I used to work for another cable company and that I also used to be an installer.  He said that Comcast is hiring and he makes like $800-$1,000 a week.  They also provide the truck, ladder, and safety equipment.  He gave me the number to his cell phone, his boss, and Comcast office directly.

There you go.  I'm happy to hear this.  Frankly, that other job sounded like it sucked anyway.  I've had my internet guy out a couple of times, and he always seems to like his job.

Green Bottle

Quote from: wolf39us on June 01, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

There ye go Wolfie, its never the end of the world,,,,until its the end of the world''  :dance:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

AtheistLemon

Quote from: Green Bottle on June 01, 2015, 10:55:16 AM
There ye go Wolfie, its never the end of the world,,,,until its the end of the world''  :dance:
But what if you jinxed it and now the world is going to end on the day OP gets hired?

Jason78

That happened to me once.   And there's nothing at all I can say to make it any better.

I hope you find something soon. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on June 01, 2015, 02:11:13 PM
That happened to me once.   And there's nothing at all I can say to make it any better.

No, I don't think there is anything to make it better.  Having said that, the one job I was let go from was when I was 17 working after school at a camera store in Chicago.  Back then, America was in a growth spurt and jobs were plentiful.  Six of us who worked in shipping, receiving, and delivery in the back room got to be good friends, and when school was out, we all took two week vacations at the same time and went on this fishing trip up to Ontario, Canada.  My God, we had a good time.  Camping out on a small island, and catching whopper pike and bass all day long.  But that left one guy in the back room.  I'm surprised the boss let us do that.

When we got back, the store decided if they could get along with just 1 guy in the back room, they could cut some jobs.  Two of us with the lowest seniority were let go, I had the least amount of seniority.  I went. 

Against my parents orders, and without their consent, I hopped on a train to Western Montana with no plans but to camp out in the wilderness.  Once there, I got to know this rancher with a very small ranch, more like a farm.  He was convinced that I needed a job, and told me I'd get tired of camping out in the Mountains all summer, but said I could work for him and he would drop me off at a different trail head every Friday night and pick me up at Sunday night.  We cleaned out a corner of a garage, which became my bunk, and I ate with the family.  I adopted them, or they adopted me, or something.  But I loved that family.  His wife was one of those rancher wives who always had a big pot of something good on the stove.

I wasn't ropin' cattle, or bustin' broncs or anything like that, but we painted the chicken house, and the ranch house, a house in town even.  We hauled manure, and dirt, and bucked hay bails.  It was 40 hours a week and I back packed every weekend except for one.  I visited 27 different mountain lakes that summer and climbed a mountain peak.  At the end of the summer, I headed back to Chicago for a year of Junior College. 

The next summer I was 18, which meant I could work for the Forest Service.  I headed back out to the same place and marked trees and fought forest fires for the Forest Service, and then switched college and enrolled at the University of Montana.  Losing that job in the camera store was the best thing that could have happened.  It marked the beginning of a new life for me, much more exciting that anything that was going on in Chicago, and I never looked back.

I know that doesn't make Wolf feel better.  I wish it would, but I can promise better things are out there.

stromboli

Like I always say, Wolf- the only direction that matters is forward. Think of it as a big spike in the wall and use it like a rung on the ladder, to go a peg higher.

Gerard

Wolf, thumbs up for your new opportunity!

Gerard

AtheistLemon

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2015, 03:06:16 PM
No, I don't think there is anything to make it better.  Having said that, the one job I was let go from was when I was 17 working after school at a camera store in Chicago.  Back then, America was in a growth spurt and jobs were plentiful.  Six of us who worked in shipping, receiving, and delivery in the back room got to be good friends, and when school was out, we all took two week vacations at the same time and went on this fishing trip up to Ontario, Canada.  My God, we had a good time.  Camping out on a small island, and catching whopper pike and bass all day long.  But that left one guy in the back room.  I'm surprised the boss let us do that.

When we got back, the store decided if they could get along with just 1 guy in the back room, they could cut some jobs.  Two of us with the lowest seniority were let go, I had the least amount of seniority.  I went. 

Against my parents orders, and without their consent, I hopped on a train to Western Montana with no plans but to camp out in the wilderness.  Once there, I got to know this rancher with a very small ranch, more like a farm.  He was convinced that I needed a job, and told me I'd get tired of camping out in the Mountains all summer, but said I could work for him and he would drop me off at a different trail head every Friday night and pick me up at Sunday night.  We cleaned out a corner of a garage, which became my bunk, and I ate with the family.  I adopted them, or they adopted me, or something.  But I loved that family.  His wife was one of those rancher wives who always had a big pot of something good on the stove.

I wasn't ropin' cattle, or bustin' broncs or anything like that, but we painted the chicken house, and the ranch house, a house in town even.  We hauled manure, and dirt, and bucked hay bails.  It was 40 hours a week and I back packed every weekend except for one.  I visited 27 different mountain lakes that summer and climbed a mountain peak.  At the end of the summer, I headed back to Chicago for a year of Junior College. 

The next summer I was 18, which meant I could work for the Forest Service.  I headed back out to the same place and marked trees and fought forest fires for the Forest Service, and then switched college and enrolled at the University of Montana.  Losing that job in the camera store was the best thing that could have happened.  It marked the beginning of a new life for me, much more exciting that anything that was going on in Chicago, and I never looked back.

I know that doesn't make Wolf feel better.  I wish it would, but I can promise better things are out there.
Wow, that's inspirational. How did your parents react when you came back?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2015, 03:06:16 PM

I loved Montana back in the day.. I was 16 in JobCorps in Derby and one fine summer day several of us tough teenage punks decided to climb Trapper Peak. . Lesson learned. .don't try it with just a tshirt.. We tramped through the wilderness all damned day and before we even got within a mile of the tree line we thought we were gonna freeze to death. .Ya see.. Trapper Peak from the road looks like it's maybe a mile away, but it's a BIG FUCKING MOUNTAIN. . It's more like 20 miles from the road. ...We had to relearn the same lesson over and over about hiking up to Baker Lake.. On the map it looks like a ten minute walk. .the map doesn't tell stupid teenagers it's about 3 mountains away.  :lol:   

]Mountain appears closer than it really is from the road. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AtheistLemon on June 01, 2015, 06:47:35 PM
Wow, that's inspirational. How did your parents react when you came back?

I can remember my dad's exact words when I came in the door, "Kid, if you ever pull a stunt like that again,....."

That's it.  I guess I was supposed to finish the sentence myself with some kind of ominous "if......".   But my mother was so very happy that I was OK.