Creationist accidentally finds 60-million-year-old fossil

Started by Hydra009, May 29, 2015, 02:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/05/28/whoops-a-creationist-museum-supporter-stumbled-upon-a-major-fossil-find/

QuoteCanadian Edgar Nernberg isn't into the whole evolution thing. In fact, he's on the board of directors of Big Valley’s Creation Science Museum, a place meant to rival local scientific institutions. Adhering to the most extreme form of religious creationism, the exhibits "prove" that the Earth is only around 6,000 years old, and that humans and dinosaurs co-existed.

Unfortunately, Nernberg just dug up a 60-million-year-old fish.
Quote“No, it hasn’t changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it’s just a matter of how you interpret it,” Nernberg told the Calgary Sun. “There’s no dates stamped on these things."

drunkenshoe

:rotflmao:

“No, it hasn’t changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it’s just a matter of how you interpret it,” Nernberg told the Calgary Sun. “There’s no dates stamped on these things."
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

kilodelta

“There’s no dates stamped on these things."

...yeah... and sex organs don't have tattooed instructions either. But, people can figure it out.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Atheon

Typical creotard. Ignoring the evidence staring at him in the face.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 29, 2015, 03:43:41 PM
:rotflmao:

“No, it hasn’t changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it’s just a matter of how you interpret it,” Nernberg told the Calgary Sun. “There’s no dates stamped on these things."
"it’s just a matter of how you misinterpret it"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote“No, it hasn’t changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it’s just a matter of how you interpret it,”
Its NOT how you interpret it you ignorant twit. The science behind dating these things is very solid and not all that hard to understand.

This is why I don't bother to vote. Because I could follow the issues, watch the debates and do all the research so as to cast a well informed vote when I walk into the booth. And then twats like this will come strolling up in their clown shoes right after me and play connect the dots on the ballot like its a bingo score card.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: Johan link
=topic=7805.msg1076475#msg1076475 date=1432983692

The science behind dating these things is very solid and not all that hard to understand.

If you are a creationist, you won't understand it.  You are told that the dating methodology is flawed, and it's true that some of the older methods like (Carbon 14??) become less accurate after 40,000 years, but you don't even believe in 40,000 years anyway.  The newer methods are accurate back into the millions with a possible error of +/- millions, so dating a 150 million year old dinosaur could mean it's only 5,000 years old, and does not conflict with your knowledge of the Earth's history.  If you don't understand that a billion is significantly different than a thousand, then anything in-between is going to sound like science gibberish. 

And modern cosmology makes even less sense.  If a light year is longer than a normal year, what does that have to do with the size of the universe?  It's easy enough to tell just by looking up that the sky is nothing more than a firmament a few thousand feet above the ground.  No extra units of measure with silly names are necessary to explain anything.

trdsf

Quote from: Johan on May 30, 2015, 07:01:32 AM
This is why I don't bother to vote. Because I could follow the issues, watch the debates and do all the research so as to cast a well informed vote when I walk into the booth. And then twats like this will come strolling up in their clown shoes right after me and play connect the dots on the ballot like its a bingo score card.
I need to disagree here.  If you're not voting because idiots like him vote, you're essentially giving idiots like him two votes, since yours isn't there to counterbalance it.  We need more informed voters, not fewer.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Johan

Quote from: trdsf on May 30, 2015, 08:52:16 PM
I need to disagree here.  If you're not voting because idiots like him vote, you're essentially giving idiots like him two votes, since yours isn't there to counterbalance it.  We need more informed voters, not fewer.
That's part of it but its not the only reason I don't bother voting. The whole system is a farse and the oft quoted adages every vote counts and your vote is your voice are bullshit.

Every does not count. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120929/us-some-votes-count-more/

But most importantly the older I get, the more it seems like picking between the candidates who stay in the race all the way to election day is like choosing which flavor of pig vomit I want to pour over my corn flakes. No one ever votes for a candidate anymore. When we vote we're almost always voting against the other guy rather than voting for the person whose lever we end up pulling. There is just something very very wrong with that reality IMO and I no longer see the point in participating in such a fucked up system.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

trdsf

Quote from: Johan on May 30, 2015, 09:42:22 PM
That's part of it but its not the only reason I don't bother voting. The whole system is a farse and the oft quoted adages every vote counts and your vote is your voice are bullshit.

Every does not count. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120929/us-some-votes-count-more/

But most importantly the older I get, the more it seems like picking between the candidates who stay in the race all the way to election day is like choosing which flavor of pig vomit I want to pour over my corn flakes. No one ever votes for a candidate anymore. When we vote we're almost always voting against the other guy rather than voting for the person whose lever we end up pulling. There is just something very very wrong with that reality IMO and I no longer see the point in participating in such a fucked up system.

FSM knows I understand political burnout, and especially in the wake of the Citizens United the system is completely fucked up in favor of money over actual people.

I just think that not voting only serves to preserve the current fucked-up-ness.  I want candidates who will support Supreme Court nominees who will vote to overturn Citizens.  I want candidates who are going to make nominations to the Supreme Court that don't make Scalia look sane (do you really want to contemplate a Walker or Santorum-chosen Justice?).

Staying home doesn't improve the chances of those candidates attaining office -- even if both candidates suck, it's certain that one of them sucks less than the other.  I'd rather hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils than stand by and watch the greater take power.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Also, back on subject, I do want to say I appreciate that the guy who found these fossils had, despite his adherence to a completely mad idea, sufficient presence of mind to turn it over to professional paleontologists and the local university.

Gerard

There's a 'wise' lesson to be learned from this. If you choose not to believe in science, refrain from digging the ground for clues....

Also one wonders how steadfast this man is in his belief. I mean... He found this fish and where did he take it? To his own museum? No! He took it to people who actually knew what they're talking about! Why would he do a thing like that? Somewhere in his heart of hearts this man must have subconsciously realized where trustworthy information could best be found... (and where not!)

Gerard

Johan

Quote from: trdsf on May 31, 2015, 03:57:11 AMI want candidates who are going to make nominations to the Supreme Court that don't make Scalia look sane (do you really want to contemplate a Walker or Santorum-chosen Justice?).

Staying home doesn't improve the chances of those candidates attaining office -- even if both candidates suck, it's certain that one of them sucks less than the other.  I'd rather hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils than stand by and watch the greater take power.
Which is exactly why YOU should vote. I'm at the point where so many candidates have let me down and done the exact opposite of what they said they'd do once elected that I no longer trust any of them at all. Its great that we still have people like you who think their vote matters and think the candidates might at least be trying to tell the truth just a little. We need more people like that. Unfortunately I'm just not one of them.  Fool me once and all that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Johan on May 31, 2015, 11:35:32 AM
Which is exactly why YOU should vote. I'm at the point where so many candidates have let me down and done the exact opposite of what they said they'd do once elected that I no longer trust any of them at all. Its great that we still have people like you who think their vote matters and think the candidates might at least be trying to tell the truth just a little. We need more people like that. Unfortunately I'm just not one of them.  Fool me once and all that.
I'm getting close to where you are Johan.  Voting for president is almost nonsensical since we don't really vote for the president.  I think the only time the vote really can count is on the local level.  And even then, it is problematical.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 31, 2015, 04:30:36 AM
Also, back on subject, I do want to say I appreciate that the guy who found these fossils had, despite his adherence to a completely mad idea, sufficient presence of mind to turn it over to professional paleontologists and the local university.
Yeah.  It's a real shame that he couldn't have been one of those professional paleontologists.  He's clearly fascinated by the subject and knows enough to recognize a fossil when he sees one.  If not for his irrational adherence to pseudoscience, he could've seen this through instead of just being the courier.  I wonder how many promising careers die off in sunday school year after year...