ISIS calls for destruction of pagan Egyptian Pyramids and Sphinx

Started by Ace101, May 20, 2015, 02:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

It's crazy how much the fundamentalists destroy, but how little they add in the way of science, arts, and philosophy - you'd think it'd should clue them in that their "religion" is morally bankrupt

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2015/03/isis_wants_to_destroy_egypts_pyramids_sphinx.html

An Islamist preacher from Kuwait has issued a "fatwa," calling on Islamic State militants to destroy Egypt's Sphinx and pyramids, according to reports.

Preacher Ibrahim Al Kandari's call comes amid growing concern about members of the self-proclaimed Islamic State group (ISIS) destroying historic sites and artifacts in the Middle East, RT reported.

"The fact that early Muslims who were among prophet Mohammed's followers did not destroy the pharaohs' monuments upon entering the Egyptian soil, does not mean that we shouldn't do it now," Al Kandari said.

A similar call came from Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who said ISIS followers had a "religious duty" to end the worship of material objects and idols, Al Alam news reported.

Al Arabiya News reported that the same edict was originally issued in 2012, and translated it further:

"(The destruction of) monuments is a duty by Sharia (Islamic) law, as many texts have stipulated... Texts on this issue are many and well-known but (implementing) them is restrained to one's ability... and so, if it's not possible to destroy the pyramids and the Sphinx as a result of the presence of an authority preventing that, Muslims would not be committing a sin."
Last week, amid Iraqi military operations to retake Tikrit, ISIS militants reportedly bulldozed the city of Nimrud and looted several other historical sites.

RYOT reported that the UN's cultural agency, UNESCO, called the "cultural cleansing" of the ancient sites a war crime.

The discovery of Numrud's royal tombs in the 1980s was considered one of the 20th century's most significant archaeological discoveries, comparable to the discovery of King Tutankhamun's tomb in Egypt.

drunkenshoe

Yeah they can't stand it. Like animals see bigger things than they can anticipate as a threat.

Also for the record, Islamists have had a 'specific problem' with Egyptian monuments for huuuundreds of years. Probably because they are too big and too ancient. Also as they are not some structures to 'worship in', you can't transform it to something 'functional' like a mosque and headquarters.

Besides, what do these monuments mean by standing all huge, enduring thousands of years like that?!
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

The sad thing about this is that if an Isis member gets ahold of the right kind of weapon and gets lucky, he could damage such a world renowned landmark as the sphinx, before he gets shot.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I keep wondering if this is to further the cause of Islam or if the world is adjusted to on line decapitations, and they are just trying to reinforce their image as a global threat.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on May 20, 2015, 07:13:43 AM
I keep wondering if this is to further the cause of Islam or if the world is adjusted to on line decapitations, and they are just trying to reinforce their image as a global threat.

If it's to further their agenda, they are doing a shit job of it. ISIS is not popular in the least with any Muslim I know, nor with the largest Muslim organizations in the world.

It's just a shame we kept on fucking over the region to the point that radicals like this have a chance to get into power. But hey... we had to fuck up the region, because communism and oil!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

1liesalot

They are just such complete and utter twats; they really are.

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

AllPurposeAtheist

We can thank the house of Saud for continued support of ISIS and the US government for the continued ass licking of said house..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cocoa Beware

It certainly wouldn't be an unprecedented act, in terms of Muslims destroying large historic monuments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPjOeJyNDI

Im not sure if Egypt should be taking this seriously, but then again Im not sure if this would be difficult to accomplish if you really applied yourself.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Shiranu on May 20, 2015, 04:18:49 PM
If it's to further their agenda, they are doing a shit job of it. ISIS is not popular in the least with any Muslim I know, nor with the largest Muslim organizations in the world.

It's just a shame we kept on fucking over the region to the point that radicals like this have a chance to get into power. But hey... we had to fuck up the region, because communism and oil!

I have always found this to be perplexing, because what ISIS is doing is much the same as what Mohammed himself did.

You know, the perfect role model who stole, took sex slaves and enjoyed decapitating people. Would your Muslim friends care to explain this?

Shiranu

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on May 25, 2015, 06:40:08 PM
I have always found this to be perplexing, because what ISIS is doing is much the same as what Mohammed himself did.

You know, the perfect role model who stole, took sex slaves and enjoyed decapitating people. Would your Muslim friends care to explain this?

If my friends are willing to pay taxes, not break any laws and keep their religion to themselves, like they do, I really have no need to get in their face and ask them to explain their religion to me. The fact that they aren't criminals, don't have any intention of being criminals, and are great people (yes, they say that has to do with their religion, and I am prone to agree) is good enough for me.

To do so would make me just as obnoxious as the theists who get in atheists faces for disagreeing with them. Believe it or not, but not all atheists are anti-theists. I personally have no desire to see religion wiped off the face of the earth, nor think the world would be significantly better (and it certainly would lose a good deal of cultural variety, which is never a good thing).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

1liesalot

Quote from: Shiranu on May 25, 2015, 07:20:23 PM
If my friends are willing to pay taxes, not break any laws and keep their religion to themselves, like they do, I really have no need to get in their face and ask them to explain their religion to me. The fact that they aren't criminals, don't have any intention of being criminals, and are great people (yes, they say that has to do with their religion, and I am prone to agree) is good enough for me.

They are not great people if they believe in hell.