The Thrill Is Gone, BB King Dies 89

Started by Brian37, May 15, 2015, 06:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Wasn't into his music myself, but always knew who he was. He had a big impact on all types of music and certainly his fans and the music world will miss him.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/15/bb-king-dies-in-las-vegas-aged-89
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

I saw him play live when I was in college.  He looked old then.

hrdlr110

Visiting Stockholm August this year. Hmmmm........what's there to see in Stockholm I wonder?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solitary

Is he in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? He should be, he was a pioneer in the Blues which I consider as rock N Roll. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on May 15, 2015, 04:54:36 PM
Is he in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? He should be, he was a pioneer in the Blues which I consider as rock N Roll. Solitary

I heard some place that rock and roll has it's roots in the blues.  In the back of my mind, I'm thinking the claim was that rock and roll was a fusion of Blues and some other form of music.  What would that other form be?  I can't remember.

Solitary

My past girlfriend who was a Rock Star said that the blues originated from African music and Folk music that evolved into rock n roll, and then jazz music that I played. So I looked it up to find out if she was right.

Blues is a  genre and musical form that originated in African-American communities in the "Deep South" of the United States around the end of the 19th century. The genre is a fusion of traditional African music and European folk music, spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads.The blues form, ubiquitous in jazz, rhythm and blues and rock and roll, is characterized by the call-and-response pattern and specific chord progressions, of which the twelve-bar blues is the most common. The blue notes are also an important part of the sound. Blues shuffles or walking bass reinforce the trance-like rhythm and form a repetitive effect called a groove.
Blues as a genre possesses other characteristics such as lyrics, bass lines, and instruments.

The lyrics of early traditional blues verses consisted of a single line repeated four times. It was only in the first decades of the 20th century that the most common current structure became standard: the so-called AAB pattern, consisting of a line sung over the four first bars, its repetition over the next four, and then a longer concluding line over the last bars. Early blues frequently took the form of a loose narrative, often relating troubles experienced within African American society.

Many blues elements, such as the call-and-response format and the use of blue notes, can be traced back to the music of Africa. The origins of the blues are also closely related to the religious music of the Afro-American community, the spirituals. The first appearance of the blues is often dated to after emancipation and, later, the development of juke joints. It is associated with the newly acquired freedom of the enslaved people. Chroniclers began to report about blues music at the dawn of the 20th century.

The first publication of blues sheet music was in 1908. Blues has since evolved from unaccompanied vocal music and oral traditions of slaves into a wide variety of styles and subgenres. Blues subgenres include country blues, such as Delta and Piedmont, as well as urban blues styles such as Chicago and West Coast blues. World War II marked the transition from acoustic to electric blues and the progressive opening of blues music to a wider audience, especially white listeners. In the 1960s and 1970s, a hybrid form called blues rock evolved.
Solitary

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on May 15, 2015, 04:54:36 PM
I think he is in both the Rock & Role HOF and the Blues HOF.    He will be missed--but at least we still have his music.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 15, 2015, 08:09:12 PM
I think he is in both the Rock & Role HOF and the Blues HOF.    He will be missed--but at least we still have his music.
Well, he may have played a role or two, but he is in the Rock and Roll HOF.:)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?