has any one re converted from atheism to a religion?

Started by doorknob, July 10, 2015, 08:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

Baruch

Evidence ... but anything leading to conclusions that are not desired ... is evidence dismissed.  That is closed minded.  It is the epistemological gambit of upturning the chess board if the game is going badly.  Both theists and atheists play that game.  If we didn't have foresight, accurate or not, we wouldn't see defeat around the corner, the lion in the hedge, and avoid him.

People go thru stages of personal development, as do societies on a larger and longer scale.  But the passage isn't linear or always upward ... it is an arabesque with retrograde periods.  There is always a beyond ... and people who think they are at the end ... simply are tired out.  It is human to exceed all bounds eventually.  Reality isn't like Hamlet bound in a nut ... but exceeds all bounds, particularly the ability of thinking and speaking, which are discarded nut shells, absent all meat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: ck44 on July 24, 2015, 07:44:24 PM
Religion is a step on the journey. Seems most people think it is the end. That is why people get frustrated with religion. You have to go beyond. A child grows up and realizes so many beliefs were false and can laugh at themselves for having believed silly things, some of which were necessary for survival. ---- There is more to a person than can be seen. There is more to life than can be observed or even understood at our present level of awareness or understanding. Might be a good idea to be open to the possibilities of life or you may be guilty of the same closed mindedness of religionists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think I follow your reasoning.  Are you saying that when I was born, I was religious?  Or that I had to become religious before I could question religion?  Or that everybody must be religious first before they can 'move' on?  And what is moving on?  What does that look like?  Too many generalizations here to make much sense.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Kibitzing ... you may be "reading in".  My POV is ... nobody starts as anything, or ends up as anything ... because all categories are imaginary.  There is no progress or regress either, but I have to use those words to be understood.  But can any human be open minded?  ck44 says yes, both open and closed, both atheist and theist ... nobody is better than anyone else ... in the monkey kingdom.  It is human to be closed minded and chauvinist, no matter what else you may be .. but we can get past those "problems" at least momentarily.  You find both theists and atheists that think mistakenly that they are "elect".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Of course there has been the stupid atheist, not nearly near the abundance of the religious but we can't claim exclusivity to intellect. Though we certainly tend to dominate it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust