News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

All Sins Are Equal

Started by TomFoolery, May 24, 2015, 09:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingJ

Quote from: TomFoolery on May 24, 2015, 09:31:06 AM
One of the defenses of Josh Duggar I have heard repeatedly bandied about is that "all sins are equal in the eyes of God." This concept actually seems to be bit divisive even among Christians, but from any religious or moral viewpoint, how do you see it?

I personally can not put mass genocide or child molestation on an equal footing with stealing a pack of gum or lying to your parents.

I understand it is impossible to come up with an exhaustive list of all the bad things and rate them outside of organized religion (and even within it) because we will all disagree on what is a sin and how bad it is. But is it evident that some are worse than others?
Many Christians do not believe this. The entire OT is evidence of different punishments for different crimes. Rom 2:6 is crystal clear 'God will pay back to everyone according to their works'.

The verse they quote is Matt 5:28 where Jesus says whoever thinks of a woman immorally has comitted adultery in his mind. They ignore the fact that 1. Matt 5 is full of rhetorical overstatments by Jesus. 2. Jesus was trying to make a point. The point was that we have all sinned and deserve to pay for our sins. 3. Jesus qualifies Himself 4 verses down in Matt 5:32 where He says ''do not divorce unless there is actual adultery''.

Mike Cl

Quote from: KingJ on June 30, 2015, 11:04:10 AM
Many Christians do not believe this. The entire OT is evidence of different punishments for different crimes. Rom 2:6 is crystal clear 'God will pay back to everyone according to their works'.

The verse they quote is Matt 5:28 where Jesus says whoever thinks of a woman immorally has comitted adultery in his mind. They ignore the fact that 1. Matt 5 is full of rhetorical overstatments by Jesus. 2. Jesus was trying to make a point. The point was that we have all sinned and deserve to pay for our sins. 3. Jesus qualifies Himself 4 verses down in Matt 5:32 where He says ''do not divorce unless there is actual adultery''.
"Many Christians do not believe this."  No shit, Charlie!!  Each christian believes as he/she wants and none believe exactly the same.  Why?  Because their foundation is built totally on sand.  christianity does not require thinking--in fact it actively rejects thinking.  Belief and faith is all they offer, and a grand fairy tale.  You can believe whatever fairy tale you want.  Just don't tell me what to think. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 30, 2015, 11:09:56 AM
"Many Christians do not believe this."  No shit, Charlie!!  Each christian believes as he/she wants and none believe exactly the same. 

Or rather many Christians choose to believe it as it suits them and dismiss it when it doesn't.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

KingJ

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 30, 2015, 11:09:56 AM
"Many Christians do not believe this."No shit, Charlie!! 1. Each christian believes as he/she wants and none believe exactly the same.  Why?  Because their foundation is built totally on sand.  christianity does not require thinking--in fact it actively rejects thinking.  Belief and faith is all they offer, and a grand fairy tale.  You can believe whatever fairy tale you want.  2. Just don't tell me what to think.
Hehe

1. I wouldnt say each believes as they wish. Many just can't see the full picture. Perhaps they need to read more. Perhaps they are not smart enough. What I do know is that scripture is pretty clear on this. Doesn't take much IQ to grasp.

2. Hehe. I would only tell you to think!!   :wink:

KingJ

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 30, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
Or rather many Christians choose to believe it as it suits them and dismiss it when it doesn't.
Yes, we always need to consdier the implications of a belief.

Believing all sin = sin... I would imagine only serves to help a mortal sinner sleep better at night.

Solitary

You are either a troll, or the most irrational person we have ever had on here. Congratulations! What do you think of Lilith, or isn't the Old Testament God's word? And who the hell was God talking to when He expelled Adam and Eve from the Garden, the Pagan Gods? What language did the serpent speak to Even? Serpentise with forked tongue , or God to Adam and Eve? And how did they understand Him, did they go to a God language class? And how about the talking burning bush ? I had one talk to me once and it's breath smelled like a fish. And let's not forget the talking donkey.  Hee Hawwww! 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Solitary on July 01, 2015, 02:37:12 PM
You are either a troll, or the most irrational person we have ever had on here.
Is it time for my Reagan picture, or are we still gathering evidence?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

KingJ

Quote from: Solitary on July 01, 2015, 02:37:12 PM
You are either a troll, or the most irrational person we have ever had on here. Congratulations! What do you think of Lilith, or isn't the Old Testament God's word? And who the hell was God talking to when He expelled Adam and Eve from the Garden, the Pagan Gods? What language did the serpent speak to Even? Serpentise with forked tongue , or God to Adam and Eve? And how did they understand Him, did they go to a God language class? And how about the talking burning bush ? I had one talk to me once and it's breath smelled like a fish. And let's not forget the talking donkey.  Hee Hawwww!

When we don't like someone everything about them irritates us. This is all you are displaying.

I have ...already addressed many half truths and English language blunders.

Is their an issue that you have properly researched and want to discuss?

Baruch

The argument that all sins are equal, is like Constantine, totalitarian.  Basically any disobedience, is disobedience of authority (we are assuming that Constantine is the one and only representative of G-d at the time), so disobedience to Constantine is disobedience to G-d.  This is the ultimate law of laws ... do as I say or I kill you.  Mafia law.  Of course this is usually a contingent law ... they don't intend to execute you for jaywalking, but they want you to know that they could if they choose to ... though in practice they have some insane scale of justice.  This is what happened in Ferguson ... execution for jaywalking (and ultimately failure to be a total door mat for the psycho policeman).  When I encounter a policeman, I am a total door mat ... I will give him no problem, not even with my eyebrows ... since I don't know if he is feeling psycho or not.  And I have a nephew who is a policeman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.