Should the bible carry a government health warning?

Started by 1liesalot, May 12, 2015, 02:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Desdinova

WARNING:  The Bible contains graphic descriptions of war, sex, torture, diseases, slavery, plagues, mass slaughter, racism, apocalyptic events and subjugation of women.  It is intended for mature audiences with weak minds or aspiring cult leaders.  If you experience suicidal thoughts or an erection lasting longer than four hours while reading the bible, you are seriously fucked up. Reader discretion is advised.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

Quote from: Desdinova on May 14, 2015, 01:49:20 PM
WARNING:  The Bible contains graphic descriptions of war, sex, torture, diseases, slavery, plagues, mass slaughter, racism, apocalyptic events and subjugation of women.  It is intended for mature audiences with weak minds or aspiring cult leaders.  If you experience suicidal thoughts or an erection lasting longer than four hours while reading the bible, you are seriously fucked up. Reader discretion is advised.
Yeah, I like that better.  Did you make that up, or is it the actual wording of what I was trying remember?

Desdinova

Just made it up.  Seems appropriate.  The only ones I know of that stamp or sticker bibles are those damned Gideons.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

TomFoolery

Are you kidding? As a kid forced to go to Sunday school and church virtually all day on Sunday, trying to find weird stuff in the Bible was about the only real past time. If I hadn't had access to the Bible, I wouldn't have learned the lessons found in Psalm 137 that talks about bashing the heads of enemy children against rocks, or Deuteronomy 25:11-12 which gives a man the right to cut off his wife's hand if she grabs another man's testicles to break up a fight.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

trdsf

If I hit the lottery, I'm want to have copies of The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, Letter to a Christian Nation, The Demon-Haunted World, that sort of thing, printed up in Gideon bible size and leave them in hotels.  And the next time I stay in a hotel, I may just hand-copy one of the warning labels below into the Gideon in my room.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 14, 2015, 01:06:07 PMI would love to own a bookstore just so I could have religious works filed with other fantasy fiction.
Barnes & Noble has "Religious fiction".  Seems redundant, but it works.

Plus, I like fantasy too much to cram the fantasy section with real-life religious stuff.  You know, little Johnny is reaching for some wholesome Game of Thrones or Harry Potter book and then he picks up a KJV bible by mistake.  At first, he really likes the imaginative setting, monomyth plotline, and fanciful foreign-sounding english.  Then, before you know it, he's going to weekly conventions where the fandom does analysis and fan theories for like 3 hours and wants to become a cleric irl even though they've been nerfed like crazy since the 18th edition.  So, before you reshelve, think of the children.

Odoital778412

Quote from: 1liesalot on May 12, 2015, 02:35:10 PM
The Bible is definitely not for kids. Should there be a warning on the cover? What with all the slaughter and cannibalism and incest and everything? Surely the term the "Good Book" is the biggest trading standards swizz of all time.

I don't really think so.  That is, unless you're in the midst of a misapprehension and you believe the Bible is positively promoting slaughter, cannibalism and incest rather than simply reporting facts in the context of the story being told and message being given.  If that's the case, I'd recommend correcting your understanding rather than placing a warning on the cover a Bible simply because you've misunderstood something.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Sal1981

I think just filing it under adult fiction like Stromboli suggested would give people the correct idea about its contents.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Odoital778412 on May 17, 2015, 06:34:55 AM
I don't really think so.  That is, unless you're in the midst of a misapprehension and you believe the Bible is positively promoting slaughter, cannibalism and incest rather than simply reporting facts in the context of the story being told and message being given.  If that's the case, I'd recommend correcting your understanding rather than placing a warning on the cover a Bible simply because you've misunderstood something.
How does one know if one has 'misunderstood' something in the Bible???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2015, 10:11:43 AM
How does one know if one has 'misunderstood' something in the Bible???

It comes through divine revelation, a special ability of only the most pious of Christians.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
It comes through divine revelation, a special ability of only the most pious of Christians.
It seems as though we have a visiting christian here.  Most are drive-by types, but I'm curious if this one wants to have a conversation.  I'm not holding my breath, tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Desdinova on May 14, 2015, 01:49:20 PM
you also need to include the "eunuchs" both medically induced, surgically done or natural, then don't forget the mentally ill are banned along with bastard children and anyone that has a skin rash.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

And all that cloven hoof shit. Ham is BAD for you!  :naughty: