Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

DOMA Reversal

Started by WitchSabrina, March 08, 2013, 08:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/0 ... d=webmail1

Clinton :  DOMA should be overturned by Supreme Court

QuoteWASHINGTON -- Former President Bill Clinton is calling on the Supreme Court to overturn a law he signed that bars federal recognition of same-sex marriages.

Clinton says the Defense of Marriage Act is incompatible with the Constitution. He says he signed the law in 1996 to avoid legislation that would have been even worse for gays.

Clinton writes in a Washington Post op-ed that American society has changed. He says he now realizes the law discriminates against gays and provides an excuse for others to discriminate, too.

The Obama administration has stopped defending the law in court, and the Supreme Court is expected to take up a challenge to it later this month.

Separately, the high court is also considering whether California's gay marriage ban should stand.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

PopeyesPappy

This is going to make baby Jesus cry.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"This is going to make baby Jesus cry.

Pssh...Jesus? The guy who never married and hung around a bunch of other dudes all the time? I think he'd have been all for it.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

commonsense822

How about instead of expanding marriage, we just get government out of it?

stromboli

Jesus, the dude that had all those guys kneeling before him? I think he weepeth joyfully.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "commonsense822"How about instead of expanding marriage, we just get government out of it?

There's your thread, right there.
<insert witty aphorism here>

gussy

1996 was the height of Clinton's triangulation habit.  He had an election to win and needed the South.

AxisMundi

Quote from: "commonsense822"How about instead of expanding marriage, we just get government out of it?

Who do you think protects the thousand plus rights and privileges that comes with legally recognized marriage?

Certainly isn't the Church.

By allowing a minority of US citizens simple equality, we are not "expanding" marriage anymore than Loving vs Virginia did.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"This is going to make baby Jesus cry.

Pssh...Jesus? The guy who never married and hung around a bunch of other dudes all the time? I think he'd have been all for it.

this ^
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

commonsense822

Quote from: "AxisMundi"

Who do you think protects the thousand plus rights and privileges that comes with legally recognized marriage?

Certainly isn't the Church.

By allowing a minority of US citizens simple equality, we are not "expanding" marriage anymore than Loving vs Virginia did.

I could explain myself, but Doug Stanhope does it so much better.
[youtube:388sxx9x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmpf5-tuDEo[/youtube:388sxx9x]

All citizens would have the equal right to marriage if the government stays out of it.  Who originally banned interracial marriage?  The government.  Who currently has bans on gay marriage?  The government.

SGOS

If the Supreme Court throws out the DOMA, we will surely have more hurricanes and earthquakes.  Mark my words.

AxisMundi

[quote="commonsense822"All citizens would have the equal right to marriage if the government stays out of it.  Who originally banned interracial marriage?  The government.  Who currently has bans on gay marriage?  The government.[/quote]

Again, who protects those thousand plus rights and privileges?Who provides most of them to begin with?

Yes, the g'ment did ban inter-racial marriages. The g'ment also overturned those laws as well.

Just as, eventually, g'ment will over turn anti-gay laws as well.

commonsense822

Quote from: "commonsense822"All citizens would have the equal right to marriage if the government stays out of it.  Who originally banned interracial marriage?  The government.  Who currently has bans on gay marriage?  The government.

Again, who protects those thousand plus rights and privileges?Who provides most of them to begin with?

Yes, the g'ment did ban inter-racial marriages. The g'ment also overturned those laws as well.

I am curious, but what rights and privileges are you talking about?

BarkAtTheMoon

Because it's unrealistic and not gonna happen anytime soon. Until all those things like taxes, inheritence, hospital visitation and decision making, child custody, spousal insurance, etc. can all be dealt with in a single simple step like filing for a marriage license the government will be involved because at the root of it marriage is a contractual legal status.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "commonsense822"
Quote from: "commonsense822"All citizens would have the equal right to marriage if the government stays out of it.  Who originally banned interracial marriage?  The government.  Who currently has bans on gay marriage?  The government.

I am curious, but what rights and privileges are you talking about?

Are you serious? As BATM pointed out marriage is a legal contract. It affects things like taxes, inheritance, hospital visitation and decision making, child custody and spousal insurance to name a few. Right now there are gay and lesbian couples in the military who are legally married under state laws. The same sex spouses of these married couples are denied rights and privileges granted to their opposite sex peers. They don't get military ID cards or medical coverage. They are denied housing and relocation benefits to name a few of the ways they are treated differently.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.