Norway scraps PC blasphemy laws.

Started by Brian37, May 10, 2015, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savior2006

Quote from: stromboli on May 10, 2015, 02:59:03 PM
The problem with terms like politically correct and liberal are how you define them.

Indeed. On CF, I've had conservatives using it to describe anyone who thinks Obama was born in his country. So largely whenever THEY use it, I ignore it, because I know they are talking out of the wrong side of their stupid faces.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Atheon

Quote from: stromboli on May 10, 2015, 10:33:12 AM

Ostensibly this is about tolerance and "can't we just all get along?"

The "coexist" sign is a message telling intolerant religious people to be more tolerant; it is not a message telling people to tolerate oppressive behavior. Same with the message "Can't we all just get along?"

Encouraging tolerance and being tolerant are also tenets of liberalism, but not at the expense of freedom.

As such, we liberals encourage open-minded religiousness and respect for religion, but we oppose acts of force that come from religion. We are pushing for the religious to be more tolerant of others.

As such, though I believe Christianity and Islam (and every other religion) to be false, I have nothing against Christians and Muslims who are good people (these are the vast majority of both religions) and who live harmoniously with others. I oppose those religious people who try to force their beliefs/morality/rules onto others (i.e. the fundamentalists and extremists).

And to those who say that religions can't coexist; this is false. It's fundamentalism that can't coexist.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca