News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Favorite Movies

Started by trdsf, May 06, 2015, 01:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Has anyone ever seen the box office sleeper Bubba ho Tep?  I wouldn't argue with anyone that put it on his favorite movie list.  I wouldn't call the following a spoiler, as it does little more than lay out the basic premise.  There are some quirky very funny moments in the film.

[spoiler]Two doddering old duffers are living out  the ends of their lives in a freaky old people's home.  One thinks he's Elvis Presley, and the other (a black guy) thinks he's John F Kennedy.  Keen as their old minds are, they think they have discovered some supernatural goings on, and team up to put an end to an evil spirit that causes strange things, like old people occasionally dying in their sleep.[/spoiler]

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on May 11, 2015, 11:21:01 AM
Has anyone ever seen the box office sleeper Bubba ho Tep?  I wouldn't argue with anyone that put it on his favorite movie list.  I wouldn't call the following a spoiler, as it does little more than lay out the basic premise.  There are some quirky very funny moments in the film.
Yes I have, and yes it was good.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Loved it. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis. Great movie. Nothing like Bruce Campbell doing Elvis for hilarity.

trdsf

My favorite thrillers/chillers/horror movies.  As I generally speaking don't like horror movies, I'm surprised by how many are on here.

Psycho - There was no shot for shot remake.  That was just a mass hallucination.  This is the real deal.  Hitch was a genius.

Rear Window - Speaking of Hitchcock.  The look Raymond Burr gave when he realized where he was being watched from... yikes!

Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein - How do you top a terrific horror movie?  Make an even better sequel.

Dracula - The Lugosi version, of course -- though the Spanish language version shot at the same time on the same set is also terrific.  Bela is still my default mental setting for 'vampire'.  And vampires don't fucking sparkle.

Ï€ (Pi) - Had the great good fortune to see this when it was in the theater.  We got your corporate conspiracy theory, your religious conspiracy theory, and your number theory right here.

The Blair Witch Project - It's not the scariest movie I ever saw, but it's by far the creepiest.  The filmmakers had the wisdom to not show the monster, knowing perfectly well that the viewer's mind would do the dirty work for them.

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens - Murnau was a genius, too.

Shadow of the Vampire - And this excellent "secret history" of Nosferatu rates a mention, too.  By the end of the movie, you're not sure who's the real monster anymore: John Malkovich's Murnau, or Willem Dafoe's Schreck/Orlok.

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 11, 2015, 07:45:11 PMThe Blair Witch Project - It's not the scariest movie I ever saw, but it's by far the creepiest.  The filmmakers had the wisdom to not show the monster, knowing perfectly well that the viewer's mind would do the dirty work for them.
Those are the best kind of scares, imho.

AllPurposeAtheist

Geez.. I read page 1 and it seems you're all scifi fans almost to the exclusion of everything else..
Well I'm a snob.. My gf, I love her,  but she has generally shitty taste in movies.. I just sat through the first half of  My Chauffeur.. I'm not going to mince words here.. It sucks.. That said.. I'm sitting on the porch getting drunk as she watches the rest of it and I know sure as the earth rotates  she'll be mad at me for not having an open mind about shitty movies..

My favorite movie in recent memory: Rubber
I kinda like  the Chernobyl Diaries
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 11, 2015, 08:18:03 PMGeez.. I read page 1 and it seems you're all scifi fans almost to the exclusion of everything else..
If that's your honest (and laughably wrong) opinion, then skip the movie recommendations and head straight for this:

stromboli

Kind Hearts And Coronets

The Ladykillers  (NOT the Tom Hanks version. Gag.)

The Lavender Hill Mob

The Man In The White  Suit

Alec Gunness British comedies from 1949 to about 1952.

In "Kind Hearts" he plays 8 different roles as both male and female, hilarious dark comedy.

Guinness was a genius long before Bridge On The River Kwai and Star Wars.

These early British comedies are masterpieces that still hold up well decades later. Should be sought out and watched, seriously.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 11, 2015, 09:49:44 PM
If that's your honest (and laughably wrong) opinion, then skip the movie recommendations and head straight for this:

Hydra, did I ever tell you to kiss my ass? No? Well kiss my ass.  Nothing personal. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on May 10, 2015, 10:09:44 PM
Ghost In The Shell- Can't believe I left that out.

Still no Tom Cruise movies.......
Yes.

Desdinova

Quote from: trdsf on May 11, 2015, 07:45:11 PM

Psycho - There was no shot for shot remake.  That was just a mass hallucination.  This is the real deal.  Hitch was a genius.

Rear Window - Speaking of Hitchcock.  The look Raymond Burr gave when he realized where he was being watched from... yikes!

Yes, Hitchcock was amazing.  My favorite movie of his has to be North by Northwest 1959.  Martin Landau is especially creepy as one of James Mason's henchmen.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Sal1981

I really liked Transcendence with Johnny Depp.

[spoiler]All throughout the movie the A.I. version (or "uploaded" version, if you will) of Johnny Depp's character is construed as this evil mechanized machine by his opponents, and you're really not given his point of view/perspective, only through the eyes of his opponents, even his best friend - yet all he wished for was to be with his wife. Also the ending sorta gave hints or an open possibility for a sequel. To me, Transcendence is an instant classic in the sci-fi genre and way ahead of its time. [/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 12, 2015, 10:08:23 AM
I really liked Transcendence with Johnny Depp.

[spoiler]All throughout the movie the A.I. version (or "uploaded" version, if you will) of Johnny Depp's character is construed as this evil mechanized machine by his opponents, and you're really not given his point of view/perspective, only through the eyes of his opponents, even his best friend - yet all he wished for was to be with his wife. Also the ending sorta gave hints or an open possibility for a sequel. To me, Transcendence is an instant classic in the sci-fi genre and way ahead of its time. [/spoiler]

That one got panned by the critics.  I can't remember how big it was at the box office.  I passed until it showed up at Redbox.  Like you, I thought it was a good movie, which surprised me, because the reviews made it sound pretty bad.

SGOS

And speaking of AI, I just got back from the theater after seeing Ex Machina.  A very good film, and supposedly anti-religious, although I didn't find it to be anti-religious.  It just treated religion as irrelevant to the plot of the movie.  But I did find this article talking about it's anti-religion.

http://www.cruxnow.com/life/2015/05/10/the-anti-humanism-of-ex-machina-makes-it-the-post-christian-film-of-the-year/

According to the above author, the anti-religious message is that human desires, emotions, and impulses don't need a god for their existence, and while that's true, it was much underplayed by the movie.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on May 12, 2015, 05:50:09 PM
And speaking of AI, I just got back from the theater after seeing Ex Machina.  A very good film, and supposedly anti-religious, although I didn't find it to be anti-religious.  It just treated religion as irrelevant to the plot of the movie.  But I did find this article talking about it's anti-religion.

http://www.cruxnow.com/life/2015/05/10/the-anti-humanism-of-ex-machina-makes-it-the-post-christian-film-of-the-year/

According to the above author, the anti-religious message is that human desires, emotions, and impulses don't need a god for their existence, and while that's true, it was much underplayed by the movie.

If you build an AI that contains all of the knowledge available to humanity and the ability to learn continually, is by every known test a rational self aware entity, and can exist indefinitely, you have in effect built a prototype for a god. Were it capable of being self sustaining and be in a position to render judgment on humanity as an independent entity, it would be a god.