News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Star Wars

Started by kilodelta, April 25, 2015, 12:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

So, I just bought the new novels for the new Star Wars canon. I have read almost all the old canon, now called Star Wars Legends. (all the books written up to the year 2000 anyway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I wonder if it's a mistake to learn the changes to the storyline before I see the new movie. Will they leak so much that it won't be as fun to watch? I think I'll risk it. I'll leave a kind word about this site in my will.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Hydra009

AFAIK, the new movie isn't going to match the Expanded Universe stuff.  But it might rhyme...

*waits patiently for someone to get the reference*

_Xenu_

Its true. The EU is no longer canon at all, but I can offer a bit of solace. Darth Bane is mentioned on the Clone Wars, so he's still canon. That's assuming you don't hate the Bane trilogy.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

the_antithesis

Aroura33

Well, I hope the new movies explore the whole "balance" thing. It is my favorite plotline of the EU! 
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

kilodelta

Quote from: _Xenu_ on April 25, 2015, 07:12:33 AM
Its true. The EU is no longer canon at all, but I can offer a bit of solace. Darth Bane is mentioned on the Clone Wars, so he's still canon. That's assuming you don't hate the Bane trilogy.

I just bought the Darth Bane trilogy just in case. I think I'll have some happy reading.

I want the movies to cover the Rogue Squadron story arch. The plot is epic and Wedge is an awesome character in the EU.

Atheon

Had no problem with the EU as a fun kind of fanfic, but I never considered it canon.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

kilodelta

Quote from: Atheon on April 28, 2015, 10:04:23 AM
Had no problem with the EU as a fun kind of fanfic, but I never considered it canon.

I didn't really like the New Jedi Order series. But, most of the other stuff was really good.

trdsf

The first frame of film that showed an Ewok ended Star Wars for me.  Haven't been a fan since.  But it was two and a half really fun movies up until then.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

kilodelta

Quote from: trdsf on May 03, 2015, 04:09:24 PM
The first frame of film that showed an Ewok ended Star Wars for me.  Haven't been a fan since.  But it was two and a half really fun movies up until then.

After I saw the Ewoks, I wrote some fanfiction.

Short version: The Imperials come back to Endor and start to rape and kill all the ewoks. They also make the ewoks fight each other to the death and barbecue the losers. Then, Lando comes in and freezes 500 of them in carbonite in an underground bunker so that they could survive the Imperial genocide. He set a timer to wake all the ewoks in 100 years. While Lando is leaving Endor, he says "this deal is getting worse all the time." He then clicks a few buttons on his Casio wristwatch to send the coordinates of the underground bunker to the Imperial Fleet. The bunker is bombed from orbit and Lando becomes an Admiral of the Imperial Navy.

I think I'd get kicked off this forum if I tell you all what I wrote about the Gungans...

stromboli

Gungans and Jar Jar Binks are the worst creations in the Star Wars universe, imo. Never liked them.

_Xenu_

Quote from: stromboli on May 03, 2015, 07:45:33 PM
Gungans and Jar Jar Binks are the worst creations in the Star Wars universe, imo. Never liked them.
Then you're really going to hate the new movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFu_dxwU-sk
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

kilodelta

Binks flying the TIE fighter was awesome.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 03, 2015, 04:09:24 PM
My happy place is basically 2 and a half hours of the imperials slaughtering ewoks while the ewoks ineffectually hurl stones or spears at them.  The ewoks then ineffectually rout after about 30 minutes, coinciding with the rebels' retreat.

You know that scene where two swinging logs totally pancake an AT-ST's cockpit?  Yeah, it bounces off the armor and maybe scratches the paint.
Or the part where rolling logs cause an AT-ST to pratfall?  Nope.  Its foot more or less flattens the logs, or at least knocks them aside.
And the lassoed speeder simply breaks the rope instead of looping around a tree several times before crashing into it.  Because, you know, physics.
The ewok stone catapult teams are indeed blown up by more irritated than harmed AT-STs, just like in the movie.

The ewok flier is actually immolated by a lucky AT-ST blast instead of crash landing from a clumsy storm trooper blaster pistol shot.  And immense ranks of stormtroopers pick off ewoks at leisure, especially the group of ewoks stupid enough to attack them with bolas, which do negligible damage to storm trooper armor.

At dusk, the sole surviving ewok - blood splattered and grimy - sprints through underbrush and tries to conceal himself behind a tree.  He tries his best to stay silent as stormtrooper footfalls grow louder and louder.  From the other direction, an AT-ST lurches into view and points its guns forward, though its target is unclear.  The ewok braces for the shot, but it doesn't come.  Why hasn't it fired?  This is must be the commandeered walker!  The top hatch is flung open.  Its pilot pokes his head into the night air.  An imperial!  Quickly, he confers with his copilot.  The AT-ST shot splinters the tree and the last ewok is no more.

SGOS

I don't remember so much depth and substance to the original Star Wars.  I remember Chewy communicating through various modes of bellowing.  There was a cool bar scene, and some people slid down a trash chute and were attacked by a giant octopus thingy.  I remember first noticing an actor, Harrison Ford, who seemed like the only real person in the movie.  And the bad guys wore white armor.  White armor!  What's up with that?  I went to the second movie, but didn't get much out of it, and never followed the rest.

But more insightful minds than mine saw possibilities galore.  A friend of mine encouraged his son to buy Star Wars toys, land speeders, and space ships.  He would buy two  of each, one to play with and the other to remained sealed in the original box.  He told me they were worth a lot of money, and that was 20 years ago.  I was impressed.  I never understood collectables, and have suffered missing of the associated financial windfalls.  Oh, I had baseball trading cards.  They used to come with bubble gum, 5 cards to a pack.  But they would get dog eared, and I would throw them away.  For years, I had huge piles of comic books, but my parents never let me buy Superman, only Little Lulu and Donald Duck, and I've been told the ones I bought were never valuable.

The basement of my parents house was filled with junk, old worn hand tools and things that later started showing up in antique stores.  At the time, they just seemed like junk that my grandfather was too cheap to throw out.