News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by The Heat, May 01, 2015, 03:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Heat

I am currently 15 years old, i have done lots of research the past three months and have went from theist - atheist. Not to flatter myself, but not a typical 15 year old, i'd like to think that i am unique in that i don't much care about my social life, or sports, or whatever normal stuff that serves no relevance in which 15 year olds do. I like to explore big questions, on my own time alone i have explored topics ranging from quantum mechanics, theory of relativity, religion to topics like biology. I like learning in general.

I joined this forum to basically let out my "religious" side(or anti-religion) if you will. I currently go to a christian school, and honestly after deciding to care about whether or not my religion is true i cannot stand the stuff they typically say now. Like after learning about simply how untrue/bogus the magical man in the sky claims are, especially that this magical man apparently cares about what we do when naked(Sam harris, lol), i can't stand these people saying stuff like "God this" "God that" as if they are saying it as fact from the teachers in my school. I guess i like to just think of how i could contradict what they say whenever they say stuff like that. In my school honestly you basically get the impression that evolution is the "myth" and you don't think twice about it since you've never been told otherwise.

Just kinda trailed off, basically hey what's up, joining this forum for fun and this is my introduction.

Munch

Hey welcome.

It's always good hearing when younger guys and gals are so self aware they know they are being preached to by their parents and teachers and that an analytical mind has come from their own awareness.

The best thing though I think most agree with, is don't come out as atheist yet until you have a way to stand on your own, just in case your parents react badly to your own beliefs.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solomon Zorn

Welcome, Heat!

This can be a rough forum, so be prepared!

QuoteI like to explore big questions, on my own time alone i have explored topics ranging from quantum mechanics, theory of relativity, religion to topics like biology.

Here's something I read recently that might interest you. It's a recent study, about the evolution of the ribosome, which is involved in the translation of DNA:
https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/articles/2014/7/2/the-ribosome-a-record-of-evolution/

For more on what a ribosome is and why it's important:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribosome
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

aitm

greetings and welcome to your new forum.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Welcome to the forum, Heat! Always good to see young skeptics! :biggrin:

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Green Bottle

Afternoon Heat, an Welcome to the Madhoose.....
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Welcome. Normally we require a beer offering, but you get a pass on that. Congratulate yourself for being smarter than your peers.

Mike Cl

Welcome, Heat.  You seem quite advanced (and not just for your age) in your world view.  I like the way you think--at least, so far. :)  As for taking on your teachers, I would say, off the top of my head, that that would not be a good idea.  You would not change any minds and simply become an unwelcome target.  However, if you can get some in a one-on-one, out of the classroom setting, you could maybe ask some candid questions.  That would have a much better chance of getting someone to stop and really consider your ideas, and theirs.  In any case, good luck at your present school.  Oh!--Welcome, you have come to a good place for questions and discussions.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Desdinova

Welcome aboard me heartie!   :pirate:
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

Welcome aboard The Heat! Nice introduction, one thing we like because trolls usually don't introduce themselves unless they make condescending remarks about atheists with it. It is great to see young people come here that question authority figures in any guise. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.