In Depth Analysis of Pew's Decline of Religion Survey on NPR

Started by SGOS, May 14, 2015, 07:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I know this might be the 3rd or 4th thread on this latest research, but I couldn't find any of the old threads to tack this onto.  Here is a link to NPR's Diane Rehms show.  There is a partial transcript, or you can click "listen" and hear the entire podcast.  54 minutes.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio/#/shows/2015-05-13/causes-and-consequences-of-declining-religious-affiliation-in-the-u-s/110191/@00:00

As is often the case, NPR does a much more in depth analysis than mainstream media, and includes thoughtful discussion with people who are actually involved with the research.  It includes theoretical conjecture, and more about what it all might mean, and how it affects politics.

I came away with a few additional insights.  I don't think the political religious right is as abundant as I once thought.  I got the impression that a huge portion of the Christian base does not agree with the religious right.  They don't believe religion should have any power in government, and feel strongly about this.

I found it interesting that the those who claim spirituality but reject organized religion, are not just as religious as the affiliated.  According to the researchers, this is simply not true, but more like a myth based on the religious right's hope and spin.  I have wondered about this before.

Those moving to "spiritual but not religious affiliated" group are moving because they are turned off by organized dogma, judgmental attitudes, and in general the perceived "meanness" of religious attitudes and the discrimination that results.

There is a short NPR survey that was given to listeners of the program while it was going on.  The results came back during the show, and while they admitted it was not an accurate survey, something like 36 percent of the listeners claimed to be agnostic/atheist, which surprised the shows hosts somewhat.

NPR has slipped a bit in recent years, but this listening experience felt like the old NPR that takes analysis beyond the mere sound bites of the usual media.

stromboli

QuoteI came away with a few additional insights.  I don't think the political religious right is as abundant as I once thought.  I got the impression that a huge portion of the Christian base does not agree with the religious right.  They don't believe religion should have any power in government, and feel strongly about this.

I found it interesting that the those who claim spirituality but reject organized religion, are not just as religious as the affiliated.  According to the researchers, this is simply not true, but more like a myth based on the religious right's hope and spin.  I have wondered about this before.

Those moving to "spiritual but not religious affiliated" group are moving because they are turned off by organized dogma, judgmental attitudes, and in general the perceived "meanness" of religious attitudes and the discrimination that results.

I think on average the majority of any society is somewhere either just left or just right of center. We might be right of center, but considering the responses locally to Utah's LGBT "rights" rulings and that  of Indiana, It appears more people are turned off than on by it. Utah is a very conservative state and I think in rural communities probably all for it, but in the more metropolitan areas not. Utah is actually a fairly gay friendly state because of the ski resorts and to attract tourism.

The extreme conservatism exhibited by the fundie xtians is definitely wearing thin. All the hate and bile does more to work against them than for them. And you can only put up with Bill O'Reilly's, Limbaugh's or Glen Beck's shit for so long. So the pendulum is swinging the other way, let's just hope it stays there.

SGOS

The fact that a growing number of theists are getting turned off by Christian attitudes is more heartening than people just leaving churches.  In other words, I'm more OK with people believing woo than I am with people being a dickheads about their woo. 

The non affiliated are by definition, as well as poll results, simply leaving churches without even looking for different churches.  It could be that their weariness of the hate speech and need to constantly control are making people think twice about the whole premise of religion.  I know that sort of bigotry and hypocrisy in religion got me to start looking at the entire package in the early stages of my own enlightenment.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oscar Mike Golf! Whatterwe gonna do with all them there empty pews? :eek:
One of the unintended consequences of much lower church turnout is a lower tax base because so many churches are going to become affiliated with businesses and of course in turn it's a money laundering thing so the businesses don't have to pay taxes..
Let me hear you preach it.. TAX THE CHURCHES!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 15, 2015, 03:38:03 PM
Oscar Mike Golf! Whatterwe gonna do with all them there empty pews? :eek:
One of the unintended consequences of much lower church turnout is a lower tax base because so many churches are going to become affiliated with businesses and of course in turn it's a money laundering thing so the businesses don't have to pay taxes..
Let me hear you preach it.. TAX THE CHURCHES!

First of all the churches will initially make money selling the properties, but in the long run a smaller base might mean exactly that, affiliation with businesses. Churches own hospitals- we have at least four in Utah- so why not?