Why do some people find Atheism so hard to understand ?

Started by Termin, April 20, 2015, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

Just a little venting hope this is the right forum.  In some of the discussions I have had , a percentage of people who are not atheist  have no idea of what it is, I have tried to explain on a few occasions what it was, then be told I was wrong.  I don't mean not understanding what it is like to be an atheist, but the literal definition of it.

In your opinion what makes this so difficult to understand ?

Is it they can only frame their understanding of it based on their own theistic  belief ? do they just not want to understand it  ?

I guess one could throw in how agnosticism and gnosticism come into the picture as well.

Thoughts ?

Any theist reading this, I just want to assure you that I don't eat babies , am not a scientist, and I do in fact have morals and a life philosophy darn it. !
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

stromboli

It's the "A" in front of theism. they first have to look up theism and then figure out the A.

doorknob

I think they just can't comprehend. And there doesn't really have to be a reason why they just don't.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on April 20, 2015, 07:34:43 PM
It's the "A" in front of theism. they first have to look up theism and then figure out the A.
And they have a really hard time with even that.  It's a privative a.  It indicates negation/absence.  It works like -in or -un.

A-morphous = without shape
a-typical = not typical
an-aerobic = without oxygen
A-theism = without a belief in god, godless

Atheism.  Super simple stuff.

Mike Cl

Maybe because if a theist tried to understand what an atheist was, then they'd have to think about what they believe.  And reason and thinking is of the devil.  Only belief and faith is of the lawrd.  And so, the closer theists get to thinking, the more nervous they become.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

I have no idea. Last week some Christian told me that an atheist is their own god.

...he just couldn't fathom not having a god belief.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Atheon

I know a guy who is a very edgy guy in his 50s, a rock-and-roller, a recovered drug addict, a guy who lived a life of drunkenness and debauchery (straight and gay), a guy who has experienced prison time; he has lived a hard and on-the-edge life. He's a take-no-guff tough guy who leans liberal politically. He also doesn't like Christians, Muslims or other religious types, and doesn't like organized religion at all. But he believes in some kind of "higher power", and simply doesn't "get" atheists. He's totally puzzled by how someone can lack belief in a god. He's also a vegetarian and doesn't "get" meat eating. Both of these things seem to me incongruous with his life experience. But hey, everyone is different.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 20, 2015, 10:58:16 PM
Maybe because if a theist tried to understand what an atheist was, then they'd have to think about what they believe.  And reason and thinking is of the devil.  Only belief and faith is of the lawrd.  And so, the closer theists get to thinking, the more nervous they become.
And also their religious beliefs are so central to some people that they couldn't imagine going without.  Yet curiously, they seem to have no problem when it comes to those dastardly communists or depraved nihilists.  So, the difficulty is less with picturing atheists and more in picturing atheists as anything other than villains.

Explaining this stuff to theists is almost like dealing with someone who has lived his whole life under a dictatorship and having to explain over and over again that the president isn't a dictator.

Termin

Quote from: Atheon on April 21, 2015, 12:50:31 AM
I know a guy who is a very edgy guy in his 50s, a rock-and-roller, a recovered drug addict, a guy who lived a life of drunkenness and debauchery (straight and gay), a guy who has experienced prison time; he has lived a hard and on-the-edge life. He's a take-no-guff tough guy who leans liberal politically. He also doesn't like Christians, Muslims or other religious types, and doesn't like organized religion at all. But he believes in some kind of "higher power", and simply doesn't "get" atheists. He's totally puzzled by how someone can lack belief in a god. He's also a vegetarian and doesn't "get" meat eating. Both of these things seem to me incongruous with his life experience. But hey, everyone is different.

That's sounds a bit different,  at least he sounds like he understands what what the word atheists and atheism  means, he may think it's wrong , which is fine be me and I can respect that but it's when people think its some religion with all of these doctrines and beliefs, that drives me nuts.

As for him being vegan/vegatarion, while I eat meat, I can actually see that, many people associate the vegan diet as "cleaner" way of life.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Solitary

They can't understand atheism, just like a child can't understand not having a mother and father, and being responsible for themselves and their actions. It's terrifying for them to think there is no God, just like a child is of loosing their parents---their guardians, where they get love from, take care of all their needs, and obey them or get punished. Growing up is hard to do, and makes you insecure when you cut the apron cord.  It's like skydiving into the unknown until you can do it without a static line. :surprised: :biggrin2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

It just goes to show you how pervasive religious brainwashing is.  Their belief is so ingrained into their minds that they cannot comprehend someone who does not believe in a god.  To do so would open a psychological door to doubt and fear.  So a mechanism kicks in that makes them assume that something is terribly wrong with you.  Satan has conscripted your soul and you don't even know it.  Some will try to save you, others will ostracize you.  In either case they can go fuck themselves.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

drunkenshoe

Because there is no benefit, nor profit in it for them. And at certain places they kill you.  So it is not just the religion itself. People do not choose some religion, because they individually want to believe in one. They become Christians, because they are born in a Christian country. They become muslims, because they are born in a muslim one. And it is beneficial and profitable to flock the land rule. Nobody actually chooses anything.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solitary

Correct, religion is pragmatic for them, and they assume that being pragmatic means they have found the truth, when all they have found is ignorance. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solitary on April 21, 2015, 12:01:58 PM
Correct, religion is pragmatic for them, and they assume that being pragmatic means they have found the truth, when all they have found is ignorance. Solitary

Sol, I don't think they actually look for any truth or feel any worry about being ignorant. It's just 'the way it is' for them. Oh of course they are using those words like 'truth'...etc. It's just words to them. At least that's my experience with those people.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: Penny Dreadful on April 21, 2015, 12:06:35 PM
speaking of things hard to understand. Hiya Cutie! Good to see you back! Same old gang of assholes here ceptin me the perfect gentlemen as you well know. Speaking of that do you have any new pics?   :)~
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust