News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism is abnormal human behavior

Started by Givemeareason, April 20, 2015, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feral Atheist

If Atheism is abnormal human behavior ..... then believing in spooks, gods, spirits, angels and similar absurdities is normal.  Then I don't want to be normal.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Feral Atheist on May 17, 2015, 11:03:21 PM
If Atheism is abnormal human behavior ..... then believing in spooks, gods, spirits, angels and similar absurdities is normal.  Then I don't want to be normal.
The normal--abnormal scale is not really that helpful or informational.  One end is what is considered 'normal' and unless you know what that means, that is fairly useless.  On the other end is 'abnormal' which just means not normal--and if you don't know what that is, is meaningless, too.  I prefer the healthy--unhealthy scale.  So, atheism is healthy and any religion is unhealthy.  Since having a religion is 'normal', like you I'd rather be (and am) abnormal.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

I couldn't agree with you more!  :super: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2015, 11:15:48 PM
The normal--abnormal scale is not really that helpful or informational.  One end is what is considered 'normal' and unless you know what that means, that is fairly useless.  On the other end is 'abnormal' which just means not normal--and if you don't know what that is, is meaningless, too.  I prefer the healthy--unhealthy scale.  So, atheism is healthy and any religion is unhealthy.  Since having a religion is 'normal', like you I'd rather be (and am) abnormal.

thats really good. after all what is 'normal' is never set in stone, it is only a faculty of ideas set by certain groups that their way as they understand it is the norm, and anything outside of those rigid set of rules is not. To people in western countries, eating bugs isn't considered normal, but in tropical climates, tribes will cook and eat bugs because they are plenty, so that is the normal for them.
A christian fundie thinks straight white christian is 'normal' because its his bubble, and a gay liberal atheist isn't. People don't have to right to dictate normality when they can't think outside the box themselves.

I also like the term 'heteronormativity', something tv shows, game and movie markers in the big media are known for in abundance.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Ace101

Quote from: Givemeareason on April 20, 2015, 11:25:44 AM
The realization there is no God is not really very profound.  And identifying as an atheist is not either.  It is usually a transient view for most of us on the way to believing something else just as ridiculous.  So the real issue is not god but just us.  And atheists often reach their views not because of rational observation but because we are still looking for something to believe in. The reason we are here is so we can still retain some sense of belonging while behaving just like the religious do.

"Researchers who study the psychology and neuroscience of religion are helping to explain why such beliefs are so enduring. They’re finding that religion may, in fact, be a byproduct of the way our brains work, growing from cognitive tendencies to seek order from chaos, to anthropomorphize our environment and to believe the world around us was created for our use."

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/12/believe.aspx
The problem is that doesn't endorse the idea of a specific God, like the Christian god.

That's akin to saying "you can't prove that aliens don't exist, therefore it's totally possible that Mr. Spock exists in real life".

Givemeareason

Quote from: Ace101 on May 22, 2015, 12:30:06 AM
The problem is that doesn't endorse the idea of a specific God, like the Christian god.

That's akin to saying "you can't prove that aliens don't exist, therefore it's totally possible that Mr. Spock exists in real life".

That's a good analogy.  That's why I have always believed in Santa Claus.  Baby Jesus never brought me any presents. :-)
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on May 21, 2015, 04:36:26 AM

I also like the term 'heteronormativity', something tv shows, game and movie markers in the big media are known for in abundance.
That's a new term for me--I like that.  Hard to pronounce, tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Givemeareason

Quote from: Ace101 on May 22, 2015, 12:30:06 AM

Here's how I feel about it. 

"Life without Santa is dreary and unromantic, and life with Santa is fun and magical. So we might as well believe in him."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opinionator/2014/12/20/should-we-believe-in-santa-claus/?referrer=
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

Munch

Quote from: Givemeareason on May 22, 2015, 09:07:51 AM
Here's how I feel about it. 

"Life without Santa is dreary and unromantic, and life with Santa is fun and magical. So we might as well believe in him."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opinionator/2014/12/20/should-we-believe-in-santa-claus/?referrer=

Santa is a fictional being made for children to believe in, who grow out of it eventually. The whole idea is for them to grow up and put make believe behind them.
God is a fictional character adults still believe in and have never grown out of.

Givemeareason

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2015, 09:36:37 AM
Santa is a fictional being made for children to believe in, who grow out of it eventually. The whole idea is for them to grow up and put make believe behind them.
God is a fictional character adults still believe in and have never grown out of.

Yes, but put yourself in their shoes.  Isn't it better to believe in anything than believe in nothing.

Munch

Quote from: Givemeareason on May 22, 2015, 10:25:08 AM
Yes, but put yourself in their shoes.  Isn't it better to believe in anything than believe in nothing.

Why? Explain why its better in your own interpretation.

Hydra009

Quote from: Givemeareason on May 22, 2015, 10:25:08 AM
Yes, but put yourself in their shoes.
Most of us have.

QuoteIsn't it better to believe in anything than believe in nothing.
No.  And atheists don't "believe in nothing" as you really should know.

Munch

Agreed. This bullshit of atheists not believing in or having awe for things is perpetuated by fundies. As an atheist, I don't believe in fundies fairy tales and their bullshit, but I have a strong sense of awe in the universe, what science achieves, and in amazing things people can work to and overcome.

Even as a skeptic, I can find a sense of awe when hearing things like a person saving a child from near impossible odds, or someone overcoming cancer.

Givemeareason

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2015, 10:29:08 AM
Why? Explain why its better in your own interpretation.

Because I think I am coming full circle.  I used to think I believed in humanism and still do.  And I used to believe in nihilism but no longer.  And then I started to think I didn't believe in anything.  So now I am considering believing in everything (except god of course).

Givemeareason

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2015, 11:15:17 AM
Agreed. This bullshit of atheists not believing in or having awe for things is perpetuated by fundies. As an atheist, I don't believe in fundies fairy tales and their bullshit, but I have a strong sense of awe in the universe, what science achieves, and in amazing things people can work to and overcome.

Even as a skeptic, I can find a sense of awe when hearing things like a person saving a child from near impossible odds, or someone overcoming cancer.

Agreed.