News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greetings, fellow human beings

Started by Givemeareason, April 19, 2015, 07:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Givemeareason

I am an old atheist by comparative standards.  But I have never particularly identified myself as athiest because it has always had such a negative connotation.  Some even see it as being synonymous with evil.  But I first became atheist when I realized that this universe is not governed by some primitive monarchial system as so many religions claim.  I am looking forward to joining in.
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

stromboli

Welcome. Several older people on here.

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
We don't cover hip-replacements; but we can set you up with some outstanding dentures if need be.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Givemeareason

Thank you for welcoming me.  I guess I could more properly introduce myself as a naturalist.  I am not interested in substituting my lack of one religious belief with another.
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

Munch

Hey there.

I'm gay. People create negative connotations with being gay, even today. I don't give a shit if they do, and thats the key to it. I'm gay, an atheist, and a neckbeard, it really doesn't matter if certain groups of people create negative thoughts about being these things, because I decided I don't want to be around them to take anything from these people as it stands. And if I am forced to be around them, like at work or similar, fuck em, they can live with it and shut the hell up.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Givemeareason

Quote from: Munch on April 19, 2015, 07:56:31 PM
Hey there.

I'm gay. People create negative connotations with being gay, even today. I don't give a shit if they do, and thats the key to it. I'm gay, an atheist, and a neckbeard, it really doesn't matter if certain groups of people create negative thoughts about being these things, because I decided I don't want to be around them to take anything from these people as it stands. And if I am forced to be around them, like at work or similar, fuck em, they can live with it and shut the hell up

Sounds good to me.  But sometimes I don't like to turn people away.  I enjoy conversing at times even when their viewpoints don't coincide with mine.

Munch

Quote from: Givemeareason on April 19, 2015, 08:22:48 PM
Sounds good to me.  But sometimes I don't like to turn people away.  I enjoy conversing at times even when their viewpoints don't coincide with mine.

Oh I do the same, with people who don't share the same viewpoints as me. I just try to avoid the things we don't have in common, and find the things we do. And, if they want to keep trying to dwell on things they view as unsavory to them, they arn't worth bothering with.

Never change what you feel right about in life for someone else, its not honest to yourself.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Givemeareason on April 19, 2015, 07:22:21 PM
I am an old atheist by comparative standards.  But I have never particularly identified myself as athiest because it has always had such a negative connotation.  Some even see it as being synonymous with evil.  But I first became atheist when I realized that this universe is not governed by some primitive monarchial system as so many religions claim.  I am looking forward to joining in.
Old is good.  Remember Madelyn Murray O'Hair?  That was the first time I really thought about that term.  I found out about her in all places, Playboy mag.  Started studying what she had to say, and was lead to Bertrand Russell.  Like him quite a bit still.  And kept on reading, which lead me to such current people as Richard Carrier and Robert M. Price.

Oh--welcome, I think you will like it here.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Green Bottle

Welcome Givemeareason, careful wi the youngsters on here, they think they know it all..... :pidu: :dance: :shifty:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

trdsf

Hello there from another old timer!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solitary

Welcome aboard Givemeareason! Solitary---a lonely dinosaur punker.   :pidu: :kidra:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

Quote from: Givemeareason on April 19, 2015, 07:22:21 PM
I have never particularly identified myself as athiest because it has always had such a negative connotation.

Same for me for a long time.  It's not that way now, however.  I am an atheist.  And you know what?  Nothing changed when I realized that.

stromboli

Naturalist, atheist, Secular Humanist are all titles. How you self identify versus how you describe yourself needn't be the same. I refer to myself now as a secular humanist because it has (to me) a more positive connotation. Society wants atheist to be a negative term, it seems; whatever.

Mike Cl

I guess I started using the term, atheist, as a shorthand way of saying 'Fuck you, society!'
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?