News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Riding lawn mowers

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, April 17, 2015, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

a goat is a perfectly respectable alternative to buying a lawnmower.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on April 20, 2015, 07:58:14 AM
a goat is a perfectly respectable alternative to buying a lawnmower.
And goat hair can be sold. I watched Mike Rowe collect yak hair a few days ago. That man is still crazy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

City people. Can you say goat droppings? We are talking about a lawn fertilized unevenly, with too much goat shit in one spot to burn the grass, other spots growing faster, etc. Goats are also somewhat territorial. They have skulls the thickness of a tree and like to butt things. Lawnmowers will not attack you when you bend over to pick something up. Unless, of course, you left it running in gear without the brake on..........

And females are more territorial than males. My brother had a goat for about a year. It ended up being goat stew after it butted one of his kids, ate some carefully grown and treasured flowers, got loose on several occasions and had to be hunted down, etc. And the only way you get milk is to get a nanny goat pregnant, which makes it more territorial and even nastier. And they will eat fucking near anything, including chewing the paint off your house. I speak from experience, growing up in farm country.

I'd give the service a second thought. Upkeep is zilch and you don't need a trailer to haul it into the dealer for maintenance. You can also leave whenever you want and know the yard work is done without having to be there periodically to do it yourself.

AllPurposeAtheist

So we settled on the sears model 20390.. Here's the reviews from  todaysmower.com.. http://todaysmower.com/2015/2014-2015-craftsman-t3000-model-20390-42-in-22-hp-yard-tractor-review/ Just in time for another week of rain..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

antediluvian

I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Desdinova

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

AllPurposeAtheist

I took the maiden voyage on the tractor today and happy to report no deaths! I was nearly mortified for just a moment that I was going to dump it and myself into the lake,  but geometry kicked in and I was able to figure out how to not do that.. Grass is all cut and trimmed and no animals were harmed except the many ants I ran over to send flying at high speed across the yard and into the street..

SGOS

I fear my Cub Cadet might be giving up the ghost.  It's losing power. It no longer has the power to blow clippings up the tube into the grass catcher. And it crawls up hills.  The motor runs steady.  It just doesn't have any get up and go, and it's losing power day by day.  My lawn mower guy doesn't have a clue why.  He said that the compression was good, and the spark plug looked good.    The guy that works for Cub Cadet says he's booked up for two weeks.  I could probably get my neighbor to mow my lawn with his tractor once, but I'm getting mentally prepared to fork out some big cash for a new one.  That's right, just buy my way out of my headache.  Comments? 

Johan

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2015, 08:00:17 PM
I fear my Cub Cadet might be giving up the ghost.  It's losing power. It no longer has the power to blow clippings up the tube into the grass catcher. And it crawls up hills.  The motor runs steady.  It just doesn't have any get up and go, and it's losing power day by day. 
If the motor is running like normal and the compression is good, then something has to be happening between the motor and the work (i.e. mowing and going) which would suggest a transmission problem. Is it a hydrostatic drive? If so, hows the trans fluid? If everything is belt driven, are the belts tight?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: Johan on April 22, 2015, 09:27:54 PM
If the motor is running like normal and the compression is good, then something has to be happening between the motor and the work (i.e. mowing and going) which would suggest a transmission problem. Is it a hydrostatic drive? If so, hows the trans fluid? If everything is belt driven, are the belts tight?
The belts are one of my suspicions.  Last summer (mid summer), my mower guy replaced the main drive belt, which had broken.  The first time I used it this spring, the same drive belt broke again.  Something "hinkey" seems to be going on there, and I'm having second thoughts about my mower repair guy.  He didn't inspect the drive belt, but he still ruled it out as the problem.  Each time before the belt broke, there was a loss of power taking place.  Although this time it feels a little different to me.  I'm really bad about guessing mechanical problems.  I'm mechanically retarded.  It's just not my thing.  I'm happy some people like mechanical work.  I hate every minute of it, even if I know exactly what is wrong.  I do get a sense of satisfaction after I fix a mechanical problem, but the satisfaction isn't worth wading through the grief of fixing it.

Johan

With two previous belts broken, I would say that  your problem lies in the belt drive system somewhere. Look hard the pulleys and their alignment as well as the bearings if the pulleys are so equipped.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

We shall see in a couple of weeks.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Future headline: "Man killed when he gunned riding lawn mower going up a hill and the mower flipped over and crushed him. Sears says warranty does not cover, no replacement".

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on April 23, 2015, 11:49:36 AM
Future headline: "Man killed when he gunned riding lawn mower going up a hill and the mower flipped over and crushed him. Sears says warranty does not cover, no replacement".
I take things nice and slow.. If I do punch the accelerator it'll take off pretty fast, but that ain't happening to me.. I might occasionally get depressed and even think of suicide,  but getting crushed and chopped up along the way isn't how I envision my death.. I'll settle though for a 10 ton safe being accidentally dropped from the 40th floor on me and someone 16 blocks away saying,  "Ewww! Is that an eyeball?"