"When did you first notice that men were looking at you in a sexual way?"

Started by Valigarmander, April 12, 2015, 02:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

There's a megathread on Reddit right now asking "Women of Reddit, when did you first notice that men were looking at you in a sexual way?" It's already received a number of sobering and extremely depressing responses. You'll notice a lot of the cases are before the girl was even a teenager.

Some notable replies. (Warning, reading some of these are bound to ruin your day.)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

The more I talk to women, the more and more I am ashamed of having a penis (because it means I have to be related to these creeps). So many men are seriously pathetic... I don't know if I have talked to any women (and even some gay guys) who has not had experiences of men just completely having zero respect for them as anything other than a fuck toy and "something" they can harass. The fact that I have had to walk with coworkers through a college campus because they are concerned about being harassed or worse is just pathetic.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

This is actually a really good dialog to have. I don't think I was so unusual and had a pretty good and privileged childhood, but I am not at all shocked that these women are talking about being harassed as little girls. This happened to me on quite a few occasions by more than one man--fondling, attempted fondling, and exposure. Memories of it are a little foggy, so I am not entirely sure how old I was or even who it was, but it happened.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on April 12, 2015, 07:45:56 AM
Sorry?
If someone looks at you, it's your own perceptions that define how that look is interpreted.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 12, 2015, 07:55:35 AM
If someone looks at you, it's your own perceptions that define how that look is interpreted.
So it's all in my head when I think a man is leering at me. It's all so clear to me now. Women are so flighty and silly.

Mermaid

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 12, 2015, 07:55:52 AM
You can look but not touch
Did you read any of the accounts in the OP?
Do you really think this is ok?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on April 12, 2015, 08:03:40 AM
So it's all in my head when I think a man is leering at me. It's all so clear to me now. Women are so flighty and silly.
The Rule of So states that when a sentence starts with "So..." the following is seldom what the person being "quoted" actually meant.
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

They can be, sometimes I look off see some girls but are way off in planet Neptune, and sometimes i'm thinking the girl may seem familiar and some memories come back to me.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 12, 2015, 08:04:55 AM
The Rule of So states that when a sentence starts with "So..." the following is seldom what the person being "quoted" actually meant.
Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said, honestly. But that's how I read it. I take it I'm wrong? Can you clarify then?

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mermaid on April 12, 2015, 08:04:19 AM
Did you read any of the accounts in the OP?
Do you really think this is ok?

yes I read accounts. they were just looking and we all know how perverted oldmen can be