That fresh feel: Turkish Muslims now permitted to use toilet paper

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, April 09, 2015, 12:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://rt.com/news/247857-turkey-muslims-toilet-paper/

QuoteThat fresh feel: Turkish Muslims now permitted to use toilet paper

The use of toilet paper has been declared halal by Turkey's religious authority Diyanet, after centuries of forbiddance by Islamic toilet etiquette.
The Turkish Directorate of Religious Affairs has issued a fatwa (Muslim religious ruling) stating that it's now acceptable to use toilet paper for personal hygiene, but only if water is nowhere to be found.
“If water cannot be found for cleansing, other cleaning materials can be used. Even though some sources deem paper to be unsuitable as a cleaning material, as it is an apparatus for writing, there is no problem in using toilet paper,” the ruling says, as reported by Hurriyet Daily News.
The previous prohibition on the use of toilet paper was established by Qadaahul Haajah, an extremely prohibitive set of rules detailing how and when Muslim should relieve themselves. The rules were conceived before the invention of toilet paper or toilet seats. While not compulsory, they are observed by many devout Muslims.

Among other things, the rules state that one should say a short prayer before and after going to the toilet, should not do your business standing up, and in fact should not take the trip to the loo at all unless absolutely necessary. For cleaning, one should use water, three stones, or one's left hand.
Even before the latest relaxing of the rules, some hygiene product manufacturers were marketing “halal toilet paper” around the world â€" featuring labels of approval by local Muslim authorities. It is unclear how this falls in line with Qadaahul Haajah, but at least for Turkish Muslims, any inconsistencies have now been resolved.

My first thought on this was that the number of Qur'ans in the country should surely mean that asswipe material can't be that scarce...   :fU:

Desdinova

QuoteAmong other things, the rules state that one should say a short prayer before and after going to the toilet, should not do your business standing up, and in fact should not take the trip to the loo at all unless absolutely necessary. For cleaning, one should use water, three stones, or one's left hand.

Ok, a lot of things here.  First of all, if you have to pray before taking a shit, then you really need to evaluate your dietary habits.  Secondly, I have only shit standing up once and it was not on purpose.  And finally, three stones?  You're going to wipe your ass with rocks?  And why three?  What if you lose one?  You know.  Up there.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Atheon

They control every part of your life, including how you poo. Cults suck.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Atheon on April 09, 2015, 01:51:17 PM
They control every part of your life, including how you poo. Cults suck.
You don't move until I say, you don't breathe until I say, you don't shit until I say!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

You know I've found out because I traveled to one side of cypress years ago, the greek side, I'm not allowed to travel to turkey because of their moronic laws.

We need a new law that excuses those of us who can sign up to 'don't give a shit about your religious bullshit, just here for a pictures'
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Desdinova on April 09, 2015, 01:28:30 PM
First of all, if you have to pray before taking a shit, then you really need to evaluate your dietary habits

POTW  :rotflmao:

SGOS

Imagine that?!  Jumping from the bronze age, right into the 21st Century.  One would have thought there may have a transitioning through parchment, corn cobs, and Sears Roebuck Catalogs.

aitm

well, makes me think twice about being  a rock collector over there as well….damn, and I nearly bought tickets.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: aitm on April 09, 2015, 05:26:15 PM
well, makes me think twice about being  a rock collector over there as well….damn, and I nearly bought tickets.

Yeah, be glad you're not a paleontologist looking for coproliths!
God Not Found

Unbeliever

QuoteFor cleaning, one should use water, three stones, or one's left hand.

Be a man - use you hand! :rotflmao: :toilet: :doh:
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

LOL I didn't see this one. You don't really think Turkish people didn't use toilet paper before though, do you? There are many things here like that. This is done so they can market local products to the stupid and the new rich class muslims. It's actually a huge untouched type of marketing around here for daily products.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Stromboli as an outdoors person has taken dumps in a variety of locations, from deep in the woods to high desert. He has also wiped his backside with a variety of items and plant life, after carefully selecting to make sure they are not nettles or other nasty stuff. But he has never used a rock and he has never wiped his ass with either hand, because he is not that stupid. Flowered plants, yes. Rocks no.