Mississippi Passes "Jesus Take The Wheel" Act

Started by stromboli, March 22, 2015, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/17/1365045/-Mississippi-House-passes-Jesus-Take-the-Wheel-Act?detail=email

QuoteMississippi lawmakers are once again tackling the big issues in the state. The highest poverty rate of any state in the country? Hahahaha ... no. The second-highest high school dropout rate in the country? No, no. The second-highest teen pregnancy rate in the country? Awww, hell no.
What is more pressing than extreme poverty? Well, the Mississippi House did pass a bill (HB 132), nicknamed the "Jesus Take the Wheel Act", that would exempt churches from commercial driver's license requirements:

"This just allows small churches, some don't have people with commercial licenses at all, and they can pick a person to drive the bus," said state Rep. Robert Johnson III, D-Natchez, who chairs the Transportation Committee which had passed the bill earlier in the session.
Current law requires CDL-certified drivers for any vehicle transporting more than 16 passengers, including the driver. The bill would amend that law to exempt church buses designed to carry 30 passengers or less.

To be clear, we aren't talking about extended passenger vans. Thirty-passenger buses, like the one pictured below, are much larger than vans and all other business and schools would still have to have a CDL license to operate such a vehicle.

Since the exemption would also include buses and large transport vehicles carry children to and from events, not everyone is happy about the exemption:
When contacted by The Clarion-Ledger, longtime CDL-certified driver Troy Coll of Hattiesburg called the measure potentially dangerous.
"I think this bill is trading the safety of everyone on the road for the convenience of those operating church vehicles," Coll said. "Since the bill covers vehicles up to 30 passengers, we're not just talking vans with extra rows of seats â€" these are buses, with long frames and much larger blind spots than passenger vehicles."

The next Christian movie to the theater will be the one about the church bus that goes into the Mississippi River because the 90 year old, 350 pound driver has a heart attack and three fourths of the chidren are saved by a passing devout Baptist who just happened to be fishing nearby. Puhraise Jeezus!

Brian37

RationalPoet.........Uggggggg. Jefferson would bitch slap these idiots.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

kilodelta

I find this video is appropriate for this thread.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Truthhasfallen

hmmm....just found the board today. Gotta do an introduction but reading this thread/watching this video reminded me of something someone said a long, long time ago......

Revelation 20:4: "....And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands...."

The video's meant to be taken as satirical jest, I get that, but it will in fact turn out to be, well....prophetic, thus agreeing with the very thing it seeks to undo and destroy.
Truth Has Fallen

There's only two ways to be deceived...

1) to believe something that's not true, or
2) not believe something that is true.

What's worse: believing in someone you can't see, or having an insatiable, ravenous and ferocious hatred for someone who doesn't exist?

Youssuf Ramadan

So who gets sued when one of the wingnuts crashes the bus?  Jesus?  I hope the son of god has his insurance up to date - he must have racked up a massive no-claims-bonus by now....

Truthhasfallen

Quote from: stromboli on March 22, 2015, 09:49:09 PM

Say no more.

gotta admit, I chuckled at this post of yours - and the pic.  Touche!  However, in all seriousness though, it does go both ways, even when atheists are the ones not so lucky........

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/theres.no.afterlife.says.man.who.died.twice/49121.htm

Quote"A young man who experienced clinical death twice in one year has claimed it was "all just black" and said there was no evidence of any form of supernatural afterlife.

The testimony of Swedish student Sasha Eliasson, 22, contradicts the many accounts of walking through a tunnel towards heavenly light-filled arena, or of travelling in the opposite direction towards something more frightening, that have been given by others who have come close to death on the operating table or elsewhere.

Eliasson 'died' twice, once after a motorcycle crash and once after overdosing on painkillers....[/i]"

Sometimes its what you DON'T say that speaks louder than what you do.  Far be it from me to put words in your mouth, but using the tagline "Say no more" with such a pic seems to imply that the foolishness of such a law (of which I also personally disagree with), may somehow be correlated directly to this specific crash. Hence, since the bus/truck has a "baptist" inscription on the side = unthinking foolish Christians.

I believe they call that a red herring.... :shifty:

Got a good chuckle though!

Truth Has Fallen

There's only two ways to be deceived...

1) to believe something that's not true, or
2) not believe something that is true.

What's worse: believing in someone you can't see, or having an insatiable, ravenous and ferocious hatred for someone who doesn't exist?

Gawdzilla Sama

I handled a claim for St*te F*rm insurance company once. Church bus was rear-ended by a RAV4, a small SUV. The SUV driver didn't know the bus was stopping because the brake lights on the bus didn't work. Neither did the running lights or indicators. Impact was about 15 mph. This was enough to knock all the bus seats loose and send the passengers, 23 adolescents, tumbling about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I was youth leader for Jesus People Ministries for 2 years. The bus in question was an old maxi van that barely ran, and they wanted me to fix up, since I have some mechanical skills. I gave up on it and rented vehicles with my own money rather than trust eight kids to a broken down van.

Atheon

Mississippi: sending children to heaven early.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Quote from: Atheon on March 23, 2015, 09:52:28 PM

The very first statewide Darwin Award.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on March 23, 2015, 05:18:19 PM
So who gets sued when one of the wingnuts crashes the bus?  Jesus?  I hope the son of god has his insurance up to date - he must have racked up a massive no-claims-bonus by now....

I know huh? He never gets the blame for causing accidents - but takes heaps of credit for any of the survivors for........well, surviving.
How can jesus take the wheel when he has yet to return? Transportation has changed a lot since his last visit, he really should be required to sit the test!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2015, 08:00:35 PMI handled a claim for St*te F*rm insurance company once. Church bus was rear-ended by a RAV4, a small SUV. The SUV driver didn't know the bus was stopping because the brake lights on the bus didn't work. Neither did the running lights or indicators. Impact was about 15 mph. This was enough to knock all the bus seats loose and send the passengers, 23 adolescents, tumbling about.
Let me guess, no seatbelts on the bus?  (or unused?)

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Atheon on March 23, 2015, 09:52:28 PM

I shouldn't laugh, but fuck it....   :rotflmao: