Whom Did This Pastor Mean This For, Atheists?

Started by Solitary, March 20, 2015, 04:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Sorry, I didn't realize this subject was already posted. Solitary

A sign posted outside a Tennessee Baptist church was removed after it sparked outrage in the community and on the Internet.

"Remember Satan was the first to demand equal rights" disappeared from the marquee of the Knoxville's Baptist Tabernacle Church earlier this week following Facebook posts calling the message anti-Christian.

"What is wrong with you people?" posted Ashley Snipes. "You are sending everyone the wrong messages with your ignorance!"

Knoxville resident Adam Miller posted "I thought surely someone wouldn't post such a thing. Makes me sad I was wrong and doubly sad that these folks are in my back yard."

Pastor Tony Greene said the church meant no harm. The message, he said, was about unity.

"It was not a statement against any one group in particular," he said, according to WATE-TV. "You know, what about the rights of the unborn babies, the rights of children, the rights of everyone?"

A Facebook poster named Andy Henry wrote, "It's clearly a sign that was meant to offend a particular group - the LGBT community. Because of (church officials') lack of foresight, they ended up offending everybody who had ever fought for equality or civil rights in general," reported WBIR-TV.

The church's sign now reads "Glad you reading. Did not mean to offend. We all need Christ."
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

I love the statement implying "they just wanted to insult LGBTs, they didn't mean to insult everyone" as their cop out.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Savior2006

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2015, 04:29:23 PM
I love the statement implying "they just wanted to insult LGBTs, they didn't mean to insult everyone" as their cop out.

Morons. Nothing more to be said.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Munch

'Glad you reading'.

Because poor literacy is kewl.

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

haha, awesome.

There's your church of christ or whatever the fuck it is, teaching kids worse grammar then twitter.

stromboli

Munch

I wonder if he reads the bible in the same way.

"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)

oh wait, they already do..

hrdlr110

Quote from: kilodelta on March 20, 2015, 06:05:09 PM
Holy shit. That's not an article typo.

Benefit of the doubt; I reckon they ran out of e's, and better "you" than improper use of "your/you're".
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Munch

Quote from: hrdlr110 on March 20, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Benefit of the doubt; I reckon they ran out of e's, and better "you" than improper use of "your/you're".

the first sign had four Rs, two R leftover from the first sign.

so yeah, they could easily have spelled 'your'

Draconic Aiur

kilodelta

Quote from: hrdlr110 on March 20, 2015, 08:29:04 PM

Yeah. That's a possibility.

Another possibility is that it is a spacing error. "Glad you're a ding." They might be calling people dings.

Youssuf Ramadan

So... in the OP is that supposed to put us OFF Satan?  I don't think the Horned One's PR guys could have done much better to big the guy up.   :lol:

kilodelta

trdsf

I prefer to think whoever was putting the letters up was taking dictation from the pastor while he was driving and the last line was actually spoken "We all need -- CHRIST!!" as he narrowly missed a truck.

Which would serve him right for not using a hands-free on his phone while driving.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan