News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ugliness Down In Georgia

Started by stromboli, March 15, 2015, 12:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2015, 12:30:20 PM
Are you kidding? They still have carloads of people down there displaying the Confederate flag. They haven't even figured out yet they lost the Civil War.

oh my word... again, S.A, Mental Outlaw, i'm sorry you guys live in such a place :S
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solomon Zorn

We have to stop being complacent as Americans, and realize that our freedoms can be taken away with the stroke of a pen.

Atheists, and other minorities, should be much more acutely aware of this, and help each other, but too often it seems people only respond if their own freedoms are threatened, and aren't willing to lend a hand when the bigots are picking on someone else. Many even end up buying into the right wing propaganda that is so persistent and pervasive in our culture.

We have to start pushing back against these extremist fools, with everything we've got. Be vocal. Be involved. Most of all be rational.

Don't be afraid to team up with religious folks. They outnumber us, and without them there would be no way to have a majority so we can overcome these bigots. There are many who value the separation of church and state. In fact the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty is devoted entirely to issues regarding the separation of church and state.

It seems obvious to me, that freedom of religion necessarily entails freedom from the dictates of other people's religion, otherwise how are you free to observe your own religion?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mermaid

If I were vocal about my being an atheist, I would lose my job.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mermaid on March 20, 2015, 04:23:21 PM
If I were vocal about my being an atheist, I would lose my job.
I didn't mean vocal about being an atheist so much, in this instance, as being against hate. Appeal to their own moral foundation. If a Christian wonders, "Why accommodate gays?" remind them to love their neighbor as themselves, or as the situation may be, love their enemies.

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com