News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

420 news!

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, March 14, 2015, 12:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

http://act.corybooker.com/page/s/carers-act?source=em150316

For what it's worth you can be a citizen cosponsor of the bill now in the senate and get on their beg you for money come election time list.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 16, 2015, 03:19:08 PM
http://act.corybooker.com/page/s/carers-act?source=em150316

For what it's worth you can be a citizen cosponsor of the bill now in the senate and get on their beg you for money come election time list.

I get emails like that all the time:  "Send us money so we can finally get this bill (or that bill) into law."

So what happens if I send them money?  What happens if I don't send them money?  Congress should vote on laws according to their merits, not according to my donation.

There are probably some reasons for these requests that make some sense, but I don't think many do.  I send my donations to advocacy groups like the Montana Wilderness Association, not congressmen.  Such groups are dedicated to what they are doing, and they keep like minded people informed about ongoing attempts at legislation.  The 501 C3 groups do not give money to congress.  They aren't even allowed to.  They pressure congress.  And they don't change their minds on issues when some corporate entity enters the fray with a wad of cash.  I have a lot more trust in such groups than I do in congress.

AllPurposeAtheist

Where in Montana are you SG? I lived in Darby for awhile as a teenager and my brother was stationed 4 years at Malmstrom in Great Falls.. I've pretty much stopped giving $$ to elect congressman x too.. I can't compete with Walmart, but certain advocacy groups still get the occasional donation..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I left Montana about ten years ago, sold my house and became a nomad.  When it was time to buy a house again, I found I could get more property and a nicer house outside of Montana.  I could see the handwriting on the wall that my days skiing and taking 19 mile a day mountain hikes were numbered, and I've lost my desire to hunt, so I started shopping for a home based on solitude and quiet.  I'm far away from Montana now.  Oddly, I'm deeper in the woods and have more privacy now than I had in Montana.  I still love Montana, and I always will, but at this stage of my life, it's more about sitting on my porch, and listening to the owls hoot.  There is hiking nearby, but it's really subdued compared to the wilderness areas of Montana.

I keep my past and present locations of residence a secret for reasons of anonymity.  I don't live in an atheist friendly environment.