What gives your life meaning?

Started by dtq123, March 11, 2015, 09:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qchan

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2015, 12:23:01 PM
Or you can just go away.

I didn't ask what the alternatives were. I asked for the reason why. Besides, I have done so to ease unneeded tension.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 12:21:55 PM
Why must I introduce myself for you to know who I am? I'll do what you're asking, but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.
I suppose Q, that you don't need to.  You could lie about what you tell us anyway--who would know?  I think it polite, that's all. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 12:20:40 PM
What you're saying sounds nice. However, it's simply not logical to many people. Not everyone has a legacy to leave behind that would benefit the world. That's just the truth behind it all.

According to evolution, it was by luck that our kind are even here. Now, we have people trying to find the purpose for being when there's no logical purpose for humans. Everyone knows that if humans did not exist, the planet would probably be better off. Our air would be cleaner and the Earth would be more bountiful. We have nothing to offer this planet while other creatures do. Dare I say, other animals are far more useful to this planet than we are. So, tell me. What is the purpose of human existence?
There is only one purpose to life--and that is life itself.  That's all.  The only purpose one has is what one wants to have.  I have a purpose for my life; a purpose that I cannot even fully explain to myself.  I do know that I want to live.  When my body runs out or I stop wanting to live, then I'll stop living.  I could care less if I am remembered after I die.  Have I fulfilled some purpose with my life--I think so, that is what counts.  I don't worry about legacy.  Joseph Campbell also said that the only purpose to life is life.  I agree.  He suggest that we all follow our 'bliss'--and I do.  If felt that if one follows ones bliss, all else will fall into place.  I agree.  I try to follow my bliss and so far I'm happy (not really a good word)--satisfied I guess is better.  This planet has no purpose--this universe has no purpose.  It is then, sort of futile to try to find some grand scheme or purpose for any of it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 17, 2015, 03:42:01 PM
There is only one purpose to life--and that is life itself.  That's all.  The only purpose one has is what one wants to have.  I have a purpose for my life; a purpose that I cannot even fully explain to myself.  I do know that I want to live.  When my body runs out or I stop wanting to live, then I'll stop living.  I could care less if I am remembered after I die.  Have I fulfilled some purpose with my life--I think so, that is what counts.  I don't worry about legacy.  Joseph Campbell also said that the only purpose to life is life.  I agree.  He suggest that we all follow our 'bliss'--and I do.  If felt that if one follows ones bliss, all else will fall into place.  I agree.  I try to follow my bliss and so far I'm happy (not really a good word)--satisfied I guess is better.  This planet has no purpose--this universe has no purpose.  It is then, sort of futile to try to find some grand scheme or purpose for any of it.

Purpose implies a designer, and I don't think either of us buy that concept.

Qchan

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 17, 2015, 03:42:01 PM

You said you can't fully understand the purpose of your own life. Why is that?

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2015, 03:53:15 PM
Purpose implies a designer, and I don't think either of us buy that concept.

Precisely. Of course, this mentality causes severe depression and many people commit suicide because of it. Could you explain why people do that? Why do they fall under depression for only realizing the facts - that one day they will die?

TrueStory

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 12:20:40 PM
Everyone knows that if humans did not exist, the planet would probably be better off. Our air would be cleaner and the Earth would be more bountiful. We have nothing to offer this planet while other creatures do. Dare I say, other animals are far more useful to this planet than we are. So, tell me. What is the purpose of human existence? What do we contribute to this planet that makes logical sense to you?
How do you measure usefullness to the planet?  How do you measure contributing to the planet?
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Qchan

Quote from: TrueStory on March 17, 2015, 04:19:26 PM
  How do you measure usefullness to the planet?  How do you measure contributing to the planet?

In this case, the "usefulness" of the planet would attribute to our biological qualities returning sustenance to the earth. Bees help pollinate plants, which helps them to spread and grow. Plants provide oxygen for us animals to breath. They also provide food. Many animals provide fertilizer for the earth so plants can grow. We do not contribute to any of that. In fact, we pollute the air, we cut down trees, and we expand. We give very little back to the earth.

TrueStory

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 04:27:29 PM
In this case, the "usefulness" of the planet would attribute to our biological qualities returning sustenance to the earth. Bees help pollinate plants, which helps them to spread and grow. Plants provide oxygen for us animals to breath. They also provide food. Many animals provide fertilizer for the earth so plants can grow. We do not contribute to any of that. In fact, we pollute the air, we cut down trees, and we expand. We give very little back to the earth.
So the earths purpose is to support life?  And the purpose of all plants and animals are to support life for other plants and animals?
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 04:09:31 PM
You said you can't fully understand the purpose of your own life. Why is that?

Science hasn't told me yet all the ins and outs of my mind--of my genes.  What I am is determined by my genes and environment.  How they interact is a science that has a long way to go.  Science is still determining how the chemical makeup of my body determines what I think and how I feel.  Actually, I've never really been too hung up on my purpose.  It is a fun thing to contemplate--who and what we are as individuals and as a species.  Where do we fit in the universe.  Are we really living in an atom in the big toe of a giant?  But that does not impact my daily life.  It does not depress nor elate my state of being.  Skyrim can do that--what my purpose in life doesn't.  I follow my bliss and leave it at that. 

And you, Q, have you ever contemplated your purpose in life?  Come to any conclusions?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 04:09:31 PM
Precisely. Of course, this mentality causes severe depression and many people commit suicide because of it. Could you explain why people do that? Why do they fall under depression for only realizing the facts - that one day they will die?

What you are describing is an existential crisis. I can't satisfactorily explain the relationship with depression in a forum post but you may want to check out the Wiki entry for the basics. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

Qchan

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 17, 2015, 05:37:24 PM
Science hasn't told me yet all the ins and outs of my mind--of my genes.  What I am is determined by my genes and environment.  How they interact is a science that has a long way to go.  Science is still determining how the chemical makeup of my body determines what I think and how I feel.  Actually, I've never really been too hung up on my purpose.  It is a fun thing to contemplate--who and what we are as individuals and as a species.  Where do we fit in the universe.  Are we really living in an atom in the big toe of a giant?  But that does not impact my daily life.  It does not depress nor elate my state of being.  Skyrim can do that--what my purpose in life doesn't.  I follow my bliss and leave it at that. 

And you, Q, have you ever contemplated your purpose in life?  Come to any conclusions?

That's a very robotic way of looking at yourself. Even I wouldn't look at you in such a light.

Aletheia

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 06:58:26 PM
That's a very robotic way of looking at yourself. Even I wouldn't look at you in such a light.

Regardless how disagreeable a concept might be to our vanities, the facts still remain. Empirical evidence infers that we are more like biochemical robots in which autonomy could be real or just an illusion, when taking into account the effects of genetics, epigenetics, and environment. We care about people and things because we evolved these emotions and strategies that benefited our species. Our self-interest is very important, since truly self-less people neglect themselves and produce few if any viable offspring. Because of this self-interest coupled with emotions, we prefer to see ourselves as being important in some meaningful way. We search for a meaning or purpose to our life. Not much fun caring about yourself if you ultimately do not matter. However, the more we learn about the universe, as well as our evolution, anatomy, and physiology... it is becoming increasingly clear that we do not have the lofty purpose we feel we should.

People can commit suicide over this realization because they feel cheated of their "ultimate meaning" and feel their life was a wasted investment. Others are able to accept the facts as they become available and remain content having existed at all with a rational side to understand things around them and an emotional side to enjoy curiosity and learning new things. As we become more knowledgeable of our existence and increase in intellect, it seems nature is ever present in culling those who cannot handle such harsh realities from those who can.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Quote from: Qchan on March 17, 2015, 06:58:26 PM
I suppose.  But that does not bother me.  For whatever reason, I'm here, right now.  And I have enjoyed it and plan to enjoy it in the future...........until I no longer enjoy it.  I will continue to follow my bliss until I die---and that does not mean that my bliss is a singular thing--it's not, but made up of multiple things; and things I have not considered yet.  So, if you do not see yourself as robotic, how do you see yourself?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Aletheia on March 17, 2015, 07:41:13 PM
Regardless how disagreeable a concept might be to our vanities, the facts still remain. Empirical evidence infers that we are more like biochemical robots in which autonomy could be real or just an illusion, when taking into account the effects of genetics, epigenetics, and environment. We care about people and things because we evolved these emotions and strategies that benefited our species. Our self-interest is very important, since truly self-less people neglect themselves and produce few if any viable offspring. Because of this self-interest coupled with emotions, we prefer to see ourselves as being important in some meaningful way. We search for a meaning or purpose to our life. Not much fun caring about yourself if you ultimately do not matter. However, the more we learn about the universe, as well as our evolution, anatomy, and physiology... it is becoming increasingly clear that we do not have the lofty purpose we feel we should.

People can commit suicide over this realization because they feel cheated of their "ultimate meaning" and feel their life was a wasted investment. Others are able to accept the facts as they become available and remain content having existed at all with a rational side to understand things around them and an emotional side to enjoy curiosity and learning new things. As we become more knowledgeable of our existence and increase in intellect, it seems nature is ever present in culling those who cannot handle such harsh realities from those who can.
Very well stated--and I tend to see life the same way.