News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Living With Christians.

Started by Neal73, March 30, 2015, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal73

So growing up my entire family was Christian, and they still are. I'm currently living in a two story house with my mother, her husband (dumbass), my brother, and my sister. They're all Christian, and recently another "friend of the family" has moved in with us, and staying in my brother's room. I'm only staying here so I don't have to work while in college, but listening to them judging, and condemning people all the time is really starting to get on my nerves. Another thing is I can't stand Christian music. I don't know why, I just can't deal with it. It's extremely annoying to me. Maybe because I grew up my whole life listening to it. I was hoping someone may have some advice to help me deal with this stuff everyday. On top of that they try to convert me daily, and it is almost borderline condescending. They think "oh he's so lost, hopefully he will soon understand". I don't mean to rant, but damnit, it really bugs me. Having to put up with it for so many years, and now we have an addition to the evangelist team. Anyways I was hoping someone may have some advice for me.
Wissenschaft Erklärt Alle!

Mermaid

You don't know why you can't stand Christian music?

I have analyzed your situation and have found you to be completely normal. It would bug me, too, to have someone, especially family, attempt to undermine and disrespect me like that on a daily basis. Don't apologize for ranting, RANT AWAY. This forum is great for that. I am glad you are here.

As far as advice, you do not have to engage in a conversation you don't want to engage in. It's ok to draw a line and tell them you are drawing a line. "I don't want to discuss this". Period. End of sentence.

If they continue, leave the room. I am sure you will get way better advice from other forum members who have been in your very shoes.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

TrueStory

If you are going to college I would suggest spending more time there, finding a group or interest you fit into.  Focus on grades and friends/activites until you can get out of the house.  It's sounds simple but can make a difference.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Munch

You've got a clear objective dude, to get out from under these people and live your own life.

Don't worry dude, a lot of ppl have felt the same way, and its good to have a clear goal to move along and live your own life. It is there home, and sadly your not be able to go against them if they are that deeply indoctrinated, but your not, which is what matters, and your get to live your own life.

Just keep doing what your doing at collage, and once you finish and land a good job, your be on the way out the door. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Neal73

Quote from: Mermaid on March 30, 2015, 08:17:04 PM
You don't know why you can't stand Christian music?

I have analyzed your situation and have found you to be completely normal. It would bug me, too, to have someone, especially family, attempt to undermine and disrespect me like that on a daily basis. Don't apologize for ranting, RANT AWAY. This forum is great for that. I am glad you are here.

As far as advice, you do not have to engage in a conversation you don't want to engage in. It's ok to draw a line and tell them you are drawing a line. "I don't want to discuss this". Period. End of sentence.

If they continue, leave the room. I am sure you will get way better advice from other forum members who have been in your very shoes.

Quote from: TrueStory on March 30, 2015, 08:27:32 PM
If you are going to college I would suggest spending more time there, finding a group or interest you fit into.  Focus on grades and friends/activites until you can get out of the house.  It's sounds simple but can make a difference.

Quote from: Munch on March 31, 2015, 03:28:32 AM
You've got a clear objective dude, to get out from under these people and live your own life.

Don't worry dude, a lot of ppl have felt the same way, and its good to have a clear goal to move along and live your own life. It is there home, and sadly your not be able to go against them if they are that deeply indoctrinated, but your not, which is what matters, and your get to live your own life.

Just keep doing what your doing at collage, and once you finish and land a good job, your be on the way out the door. 

Thank you all for your advice, and understanding. I'll continue to try to deal with the situation in a mature manner. Hopefully I can find something to keep my mind off of it, and stay busy.
Wissenschaft Erklärt Alle!

Mr.Obvious

My parents don't believe, nor does my sister. My brother is a vague deist or something... I don't know. However I was a christian until I was about 17. I like to think I'm a lot less annoying than I was back then. I remember judging others. I remember feeling like I was entitled to respect and reverence because I knew I was absolutely right. I remember the self-importance.
But I've never had it the other way around at home. My advise? Rant what you want and when you want. The last thing your family should be allowed to do is to make you feel isolated in this matter. We're here for you. But as others said, we can only be so much. Find likeminded people outside of your family. And don't back down when they confront you. Make them afraid of approaching you with their newfound 'idea' for turning you (back) to Christianity. Don't challenge them. Don't ignite the discussions. But be ready when they arrive. Especially if you know they will in the future.
Both real life like-minded friends and this forum, I've noticed, are great for learning how to properly formulate arguments and objections. So stick around and join in.

Oh, and welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solomon Zorn

Can't offer much advice, beyond what has been said, but I feel for ya.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

kilodelta

Welcome.

I can empathize.

I'm going to be in a situation really soon where I'll have a boss that is a major xtain fundie. I've dealt with situations like this before, but this guy can't understand any viewpoint other than his own. So, it's not just a inappropriate religious pushing in the workplace I'll be dealing with, but a professional issue where he'll cause projects to fail or fall behind. It's going to be a delicate situation... so, I'm actually looking for a new job while preparing myself to endure his shit and figure out ways to mitigate the problems that he'll cause.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Hang in their Kilo. Just apply to them jobs, and keep track of what this asshole does. Remember it isn't hard to get into the mind of a theist, they are predictable in their god worshiping bullshit, so if he plays drill sergeant in trying to hammer his beliefs, just do your best performance to go along with it.
Once you get a new jobs, make sure you keep information about your old place, and once your safe in a new role, report him to workplace standards for misconduct in the workplace.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

antediluvian

Be smart
Be quiet
Get an education
Procreate athiests
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Jason78

I take it that there's no form of dialogue that can occur that would persuade them to respect your boundaries and quit trying to convert you?

If I were you I'd:
* Get some noise cancelling headphones.
* Spend as little time as I could at home.
* Spend as much time at college studying as possible.
* Keep an eye out for a job that will accommodate me with my college work and let me save money for when I do get out of that hell hole.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

I didn't start to explore the world of non Christendom until after I left for college, so my life in a Christian family seemed kind of normal.  My family was dysfunctional enough that the religious nonsense didn't particularly stand out.  Hell, we were just kind of trapped in a universe of nonsense, where "bizarre" was considered the status quo.  You are ahead of where I was at that time of my life.  I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse, but I know leaving home brought forth an explosion of new ideas and new ways of processing information, and my life started to have more meaning and structure.  I wish I would have gotten an earlier start.  Use this time to your advantage.  Your external environment might be hard (which is what life sometimes is), but you're in a good place in your head.  Try to enjoy what you can, and don't dwell on your external prison.   It's going to change soon.